Does The F-150 Come In Multiple Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Nullqwerty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does The F-150 Come In Multiple Sizes?

Hey folks,

I currently drive the Frontier, but I'm up for a new vehicle. The F-150 is top on my list, however I have to commute into the city every day, where I deal with traffic, small streets, and parking garages with low ceilings. As a result, I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a big truck, but not when dealing with the city everyday...hence the Frontier.

But, I drove into a Ford dealership the other day and noticed that some F-150s are giant, while others seem to be on the smaller side. This could be an optical illusion, but if not, what are the models/features I should be looking at to keep them on the smaller side?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
The trucks are all the same "size". The wheel base are different based on the cab/bed configuration. Also a 4x4 will sit higher than a 2x4.

So if you had a 4x4 Super Crew 6.5' bed sitting next to a 2wd Reg Cab Short bed, they are going to look completely different.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Welcome to FTE.

The F150 does come in 3 cab configurations. Regular, SuperCab and Super Crew(4 full doors)

They also come in a few different wheel bases. I know the supercrew come with a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed. The 5.5 is easier to handle in traffic and tight places.

You can go to Ford.com and "Build your own" vehicle to see many of the different options.

Best of luck!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Short answer: The F150 is classified as a "full size" truck. The Ranger was the small truck, comparable to the Frontier, but is no longer sold here.

You can get an F150 that is short enough for "downtown" city use, but the extra width beyond the Frontier will be noticeable when you try to park. I have the longest F150 (crew cab, 6.5 bed) and I have no dreams of taking it downtown. I'm not even sure I could get into a parking spot in a multi-level.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Nullqwerty
New User
It's a shame they didn't update the Ranger instead of killing it, or ever release that long-rumored F-100. There's a definite market here. The reason their rangers didn't sell well was because they were so outdated. I looked at them when I got my Frontier and their was no chance I was gonna go for it. Ford just needs a younger brother of the F-150, just like the Frontier is the younger brother of the Titan. The two look identical, except the Frontier is smaller. It's what Ford needs to do.

Oh well...I digress. My wife has her Edge and loves it. I'll keep out hope for the F-100.

Thanks everyone

Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
ktmrider43
Freshman User
My Family and I were in Frisco last weekend.

It was funny, she commented as we were driving down 19th ave how small everyone else looked. This was our first trip from where we live (in the mountains) to the city in the new truck.

It was really weird. We were just there to play disc golf, got some prime street parking.

I would not want to try and find parking in most places.

I have 2013 SCREW 4x4

Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nullqwerty
It's a shame they didn't update the Ranger instead of killing it, or ever release that long-rumored F-100. There's a definite market here. The reason their rangers didn't sell well was because they were so outdated. I looked at them when I got my Frontier and their was no chance I was gonna go for it. Ford just needs a younger brother of the F-150, just like the Frontier is the younger brother of the Titan. The two look identical, except the Frontier is smaller. It's what Ford needs to do.
Supposedly a smaller truck is on the way. The problem Ford has, is that the Ranger (which is still offered overseas, as the T6 Ranger) has grown in size over the years to meet safety requirements and has become more expensive. It's basically 9/10's the size of an F150 now, yet still costs about the same to manufacturer, and doesn't really offer much in the way of a fuel economy advantage except with the expensive small diesels.

That's why they kept the old Ranger in the states, because it was smaller, the research and design work was already paid for, and it got good fuel economy for the money. However, that only lasted for so long, as eventually the design was so outdated they could no longer sell it due to tightening safety regulations.

What they looked at doing instead, was making a FWD/AWD based pickup. Likely on the same unibody platform as the Transit Connect small van. That would save costs, it would be small (yet safe), and would get better fuel fuel economy than any of the body on frame vehicles they offer. It would also be a more nimble and better handling trucklet.

Of course, the question to that then becomes, would people buy a city-sized, FWD based, unibody pickup truck?

Personally, what I think is going to happen, is that eventually the F-150 is going to shrink slightly so that it will basically merge with the T6 Ranger and become one worldwide truck design. That would fall in line with Ford's whole 'One Ford' mantra, where they no longer want to build totally separate designs for North America and for the rest of the world. They've already said that they want to drop ~700lbs out of the F150 for fuel economy, and the only way I can see them doing that without making the F150 ridiculously expensive, is by shrinking it a little bit.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My 2005 Lariat SCREW F150 I used to have fit in downtown denver and just fine inside multi-level car parking with a longer bed (6.5') than my 09. My new 2009 has the smaller bed (5.5') which I would think make it easier (haven't had chance to take it up to Denver yet). I have confidence that a 4.6L Eco SCREW with a 5.5 would get you your fuel economy for your commute and the size to park where needed. Hope you find one that fits you. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I find my 2011 Scab truck to be very cumbersome in the city, my 2004 Expy is much more parking lot friendly with a tighter turning radius and overall shorter length.

Unless Ford brings the Ranger back to US shores, this will be my last new truck. I will hold on to this truck and buy a compact sedan as a DD and use the beast as needed.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I find my 2011 Scab truck to be very cumbersome in the city, my 2004 Expy is much more parking lot friendly with a tighter turning radius and overall shorter length.

Unless Ford brings the Ranger back to US shores, this will be my last new truck. I will hold on to this truck and buy a compact sedan as a DD and use the beast as needed.
Same here, only it's my wifes' Focus we drive when I'm downstate. You should have seen me with my supercab SD, with 8' box down there. Why is everything "ricersized" now a days? I'd take my Ranger, but don't really want the parking lot dings I'd likely get on a like new '04.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Talking

Regarding F-series sizes ...

We've got ...
  • Wee
  • not so Wee
  • and FRICKIN' HUGE!

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As much as I love my truck, it is a hassle to park and drive in the city. Im in the Detroit area so if I go into the city for a Tiger game, or if I go to Ann Arbor for a night out, I always ask whomever Im going with if they could drive. Hey, it saves on gas in that regard!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by soundwave
As much as I love my truck, it is a hassle to park and drive in the city. Im in the Detroit area so if I go into the city for a Tiger game, or if I go to Ann Arbor for a night out, I always ask whomever Im going with if they could drive. Hey, it saves on gas in that regard!
Know what ya mean! My wife lives in Garbage City. Over at Wasteland mall it's not bad in that area. My daughter lives over in the Republic of Ann Arbor, and that's BAD.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
I have a super cab with the 6.5' bed and it is also 4x4. I work in the city. Not many places I can easily park in. Most parking garages are too low for me to even fit in. Luckily I can park on campus and not have to many issues parking.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Nullqwerty
New User
Maybe this will solve my problem!

2014 Ford F-150 Tremor provides full-size performance in a smaller package - SlashGear

Anyone know what size we're talking about? Is this about the size of a Nissan Frontier?

*UPDATE:* Crap, just read it's regular cab only. Ford....You're killing me!

Quick Reply: Does The F-150 Come In Multiple Sizes?