1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed a TransGo shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
installed a TransGo shift kit

as some of yous know Ive had a few posts about weird shifting and Ive commented on others with similar issues about their 4R100's. After almost three or four years of dealing with a soft 1-2 shift and at times a neck snapping 2-3 shift IVE FINALLY FIXED IT! My issue started a while ago one day i go from a normal which i though was good shift pressures, then it happened. Weak 1-2, hard 2-3 shift very strange WOT shifts no matter what i did it never fixed itself. Ive done all the normal fixes, installed all new stock valve body springs, flushed the trans more than normal, cleaned and flushed the coolers, etc. Nothing worked, so i then installed a Factory tech Valve Body and though it got better the truck would now chirp 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at WOT and i have a meir 5.4 F350! What i thought was COOL for a few months started to get old and then came the thoughts "am i destroying my trans with these shifts" So i removed the FTVB and went back to stock and i started tweaking the tuner options to get the truck right. I now had the 1-2 shift to 20% over stock since thats all SCT allows and 2-3 was only 5% over stock. My 1-2 was horrible, driving like a old man it was soft almost as bad as stock, at WOT it was faster but not very firm at all. The 2-3 was still rough all the time but the WOT was perfect very weird. So i finally had enough i was either going to rip the trans out and install a 6 speed manual or fix what i had for CHEAP. So i called Brian at BTS transmission, after two hours on the phone and telling him exactly what was going on and what i found in the pan, filter, magnet he said install these parts and do it my way not transgo instructions way. So i bought a TransGo HD shift kit, all new steel shift valves, new separator plate gaskets and a in line filter for the cooler lines. After three hours a bath in trans fluid my truck shifts better than anything i have every driven or drove in, period! My easy Sunday driving shifts are absolutely beautiful, suoer fast and firm enough that you feel them but not firm enough to bang, clunk or chirp anything. My WOT are just are great, super fast, firm but again no tire chirping, laggy shifts or any thud banging or anything negative. Did the install Friday night and since have put about forty miles already on it and still perfect. After talking to Brian and hearing him say whats wrong with the stock parts and how he designed the transGo kit to fix them and using his shift hole sizes and what to leave out of the kit i can only say i will gladly send any Ford owner to him, order what he says, do what he says to do and finally be happy with a proper working 4R100

Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome, good to hear i've followed your posts for a while about your issues... glad it's dialed in and working the way you want it too

Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
yea i talked to Brian for a while on the phone, told him what happened and said i never seen metal on the magnet and i drain the old oil through these white paper filter things my uncle takes from work and Ive never seen any type of metal or flaxes or clutch material in the filter when i was done. Brian simply said Ford cheaped out on certain parts in the trans and they go and cause alot of problems, he said i should install the steel valves because the aluminum stock ones always get stuck inside the valve body. I used his hole size on the valve body plate and as of the past three days the truck is perfect, i though i might drop the plate again and maybe go one hole size bigger but i don't want tire chirping shifts so ill stay where Brian told me too. Funny part is i only installed new gaskets and checked the feed bolts, and just install transgo springs, line mod valve and their new steel springs and then of course mikes hole sizes in the plate and dang this things shifts freaking great!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
awesome good deal. did you have to drop the trans or anything like that?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
I have a Trans Go kit in my trans as wel
I def like the kit's improvement in sharper shifts

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
no just the pan and the two valve bodies. And no matter what you do you cant stop the drips of fluid all over you! I had cardboard and a old blanket on the ground and i still got fluid on the garage floor and all over my head, face, and body..... i think next time ill just pull out the trans... not really

Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
hey bobbydiesel71 did you notice after the install that when you put the truck in reverse or drive it like grabs instantly? I use to have about a two to three second delay now almost as soon as the selector hits R or D the trans is grabbing that gear? Seems a little weird to me

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
no just the pan and the two valve bodies. And no matter what you do you cant stop the drips of fluid all over you! I had cardboard and a old blanket on the ground and i still got fluid on the garage floor and all over my head, face, and body..... i think next time ill just pull out the trans... not really
cool! yeah i bet it was a little messy... btw i like your avatar, i'm addicted to that show lol

Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
i changed it but it was too small to read, so i put the "real" duck dynasty up there. Just a cool little pun picture i think

Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
lol ah yes very cool...

Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
i got like forty more, so im gonna change it once a week or so. probally only me and you will notice, lol

Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
i got like forty more, so im gonna change it once a week or so. probally only me and you will notice, lol
lol yeah probably. i got a few pics i wanna use too, i haven't changed mine in a long time.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would you say was the most noticeable improvement that you've noticed over the stock configuration. I'm leaving the brand new to me phase with the truck and I'm starting to notice the quirks that come with the truck. One of them is just the odd shifting firmness and I've tried adjusting the pressure with my SCT but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking to try to quicken everything that it does make it a little firmer to save all the internals

Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I did the ftvb and the shifts were way too hard...I sent it back for a respring and 1-2 is perfect but 2-3 is way too hard. The belt sqeaks..I still need to soften up 2-3 B4 I break something. I called Bob and he said he would take care of it.

Dick

Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
02tb250 like i said above i had soft 1-2 shifts, hard sometimes almost tire chirping 2-3 shifts and of course the soft 3-4 shift. I tried adjusting it with my SCT and nothing fixed it, raise the pressures and it didn't get much firmer or quicker to my liking, tried softening up the 2-3 shift and it got softer but i still had that hard 2-3 at certain throttle positions. After i installed the TransGo its PERFECT. Going through my development there are five speed hills i have to go over so i go from 1-2 and back every fifty yards or so, before it was horribly soft now its lighting fast shift from 1-2 and just firm enough that its doesn't bang or anything, just a nice fast firm up shift. Driving down the street the up shifts are the same lighting fast and firm no quirks from various throttle positions like before. But now my 1-2 is "normal" its not weak like before and its always firm and fast, where before it would be firm under half throttle and then stock under WOT shifts. My 2-3 is just slightly softer than the 1-2 but not stock, its just as fast as the 1-2 but just a little softer, you still feel it but its not a bang or harsh shift. The best part i think is my 3-4 shift! You can actually feel the shift now, Ive never felt it before, i mean you can hear and see the shift on the tach but when it goes into 4th its just like the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, fast and firm no more soft laggy stock stuff

Quick Reply: installed a TransGo shift kit