2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

6R80 TorqShift fluid change 2010 expy

Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
mwells
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6R80 TorqShift fluid change 2010 expy

I have been reading through numerous threads, and find conflicting answers to the question of whether or not is necessary to change the transmission fluid in a 2010 Expedition with 5.4 litre engine and 6R80 transmission. One tech listed the service recomendations which say yes, but the maintenance manual that came with my vehicle states under special operating conditions section [Towing a trailer or using a camper ]:

Every 30,000 miles – Changeautomatic transmission fluid (not required
on 6R60/6R80/TorqShift_transmissions). (I was not able to paste the actual image)

I already have 40k miles on my Expy EL and will be making a 6k mile trip with my 7,000 pound travel trailer (yes I have an auxilliary trans fluid cooler) this summer. Do I need to change the fluid or not?? Thanks for your response.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
I have no doubt the oem service intervals are adequate, but here's what I have done on every vehicle (auto trans) that I have owned for 30 years....

At 20k miles, I change the filter (due to possible residual/initial wear particulates that may be floating inside) and either drain the torque converter (if so equipped with a plug) or disconnect the trans cooler line at the radiator, fill the pan with fresh fluid, my wife starts the engine and when 2-3 quarts drain into a bucket, she shuts it off, I refill the pan and repeat until the fluid is clear and in case of the f150, 14 quarts of fresh fluid is in.

I change only the fluid after that (unless I determine substances/contamination in the oil). The intervals vary depending on the type of trans, type of fluid and conditions, but in general, every 30k miles. Heat is a killer on automatic trans fluid and when we lived in the desert area, I changed the trans fluid at the end of summer every year.

In regards to filters, oem is fine, but I typically use Wix.

In regards to trans oil, both in sticks and autos I have always used Valvoline.

I have also never had a trans failure in any vehicle I own and typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years, with over 100k on the odometer.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
gaffer222
Freshman User
The manual for my 2007 says to change the tranny fluid at 150,000. Curious if yours says the same?

NORMAL SCHEDULE TRUCKS, FULLSIZE VANS & SUVS

150,000 miles

Change engine oil and replace oil filter.

Inspect tires for wear and rotate.

Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake

lines & hoses, and parking brake system.

Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise.

Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.

Change Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant

(see exceptions page 46 and record page 48).

Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.

Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and,

if equipped, half shafts, driveshaft and U-joints.

Replace engine air filter.

Replace fuel filter (see page 47).

Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.

Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid

and filter (filter not required on CD4E).

Change rear axle lubricant on all rear wheel

drive (RWD) vehicles (see pages 42 and
46).

Replace accessory drive belt(s) (if not replaced

within last 100,000 miles).

Replace climate-controlled seat filters if equipped

(Navigator and Expedition).

Inspect PCV for flow (3V engines).

Lubricate ball joints and steering linkage if

equipped with zerk fittings.

Replace 4X2 wheel bearings and grease seals,

lubricate and adjust bearings.

Inspect and lubricate 4X4 front axle shaft U-joints

(F250/350/450/550).

Change front axle lubricant (4X4 only).
Change transfer case fluid (4X4 only).

Exception below:

Items Needing Special Attention
If you operate your Ford/Lincoln/Mercury

primarily in one of the more demanding “Special Operating

Conditions”

listed below, you will need to have some items maintained more frequently. If you only occasionally
operate your vehicle under these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional

maintenance. For specific recommendations, see your dealership service advisor or qualified service professional.

Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier

Every 3,000 miles or 3 months

Change engine oil and replace oil filter

Every 30,000 miles

Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid (not

required on 6R60 transmission)
Every 60,000 miles

Change transfer case fluid

As required

Change manual transmission fluid
As required Inspect and lubricate U-joints

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM
mwells
New User
reply to gaffer222

Yes, basically the same.

Change automatic transmission fluid and filter

(filter not required on 6F35). (Except vehicles

equipped with the TorqShift transmission).

Hoping for a response from a Ford tech.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
mwells
New User
Thanks to Beechkid

Originally Posted by Beechkid
I have no doubt the oem service intervals are adequate, but here's what I have done on every vehicle (auto trans) that I have owned for 30 years....

At 20k miles, I change the filter (due to possible residual/initial wear particulates that may be floating inside) and either drain the torque converter (if so equipped with a plug) or disconnect the trans cooler line at the radiator, fill the pan with fresh fluid, my wife starts the engine and when 2-3 quarts drain into a bucket, she shuts it off, I refill the pan and repeat until the fluid is clear and in case of the f150, 14 quarts of fresh fluid is in.

I change only the fluid after that (unless I determine substances/contamination in the oil). The intervals vary depending on the type of trans, type of fluid and conditions, but in general, every 30k miles. Heat is a killer on automatic trans fluid and when we lived in the desert area, I changed the trans fluid at the end of summer every year.

In regards to filters, oem is fine, but I typically use Wix.

In regards to trans oil, both in sticks and autos I have always used Valvoline.

I have also never had a trans failure in any vehicle I own and typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years, with over 100k on the odometer.
Thanks for your response. I gave up DIY fluid changes some years ago, so am looking at some expense to accomplish this task. The Ford dealer says they do not drop the pan, and replace the filter, but do a flush. I don't mind paying for this if it is necessary and I need to for extended warranty compliance. I really want to resolve the conflict between the service indicated by the Ford tech and the Ford maintenance manual which came with my truck.
Thanks to all for responding.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have the 6r80 trans on that truck. They don't want to drop the pan or change the filter because they are lazy.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
gears351
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shop by me wants $110 for a fluid/filter/flush/change - I trust this shop and think it's a good deal as the one writeup I found on someone doing this service themselves spent $104 on just the parts......

Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gears351
Shop by me wants $110 for a fluid/filter/flush/change - I trust this shop and think it's a good deal as the one writeup I found on someone doing this service themselves spent $104 on just the parts......
Hmm. Sounds too cheap. Why do a job for a loss? Make sure they are using the correct fluid. Some shops chinse out and use a low grade bulk tranny fluid. Look in your manual for fluid type. I think it's Mercon SP, 11 quarts.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 AM
gears351
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my owner's manual specs Mercon V - I'd like to go synthetic but it's possible MV is synthetic (I know that's the case with Chrysler's newer ATFs) And the shop is reputable, I've used them with good results in the past. But you're right - making sure it's the correct fluid is important.