Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM
New User

linusr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cooling issue after radiator replacement

I replaced my radiator and water pump, now the the temp wont go up. Could the thermostst be stuck open?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by linusr View Post
I replaced my radiator and water pump, now the the temp wont go up. Could the thermostst be stuck open?
Yes, they are "suppose" to fail in the open position (but don't always do that).
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM
New User

took the thermostat out today. it was definitely stuck open about a 1/16. put a new one in and will hopefully cool correctly tom morrow. thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Senior User

EmilBarnabas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I always put mine in a pot of water on the stove and boil it until it opens. That way I'm sure it will work well when installed.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
New User

Nw that its back in my temp swings form 130 to 180. I think theres air trapped. Any advice on how to bleed the system ?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Senior User

Once it gets hot and the water starts moving, it should send all the air to the radiator. Check to make sure the level stays up.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 AM
New User

mandingo626 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy new 66' econoline owner

Hi, I have a cabover. It's my first classic and I plan to learn mechanic with my truck. What do you mean when you explained about making sure the level stays up?
I have a high temperature problem. Though it stays a little over the middle of my temperature gauge if I stay cruising on the highway at 40mph and up. I don't want to burn my engine so soon, but I don't know where to start looking? I appreciate any input.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Senior User

By "level stays up" I meant to keep the radiator full of coolant. The air in the system should travel to the radiator to get out.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 PM
New User

mandingo626 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Quest for knowledge

Thanks for the info and your time.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Junior User

scoobyvanjack is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na na na na
About the radiator. were you able to get a radiator for the actual truck or is it one that happens to fit? also was it a 2 tube or 3 tube (the number cooling tubes when looking from the front to the rear along the inside edge of the top and bottom tank) the one that was in mine when i got the van is close though i had trouble finding a lower hose. wound up cutting down a hose from another application. mine is not leaking but it's real old and want to be ahead of it before it fails. thanks in advance for any feed back you can share
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Junior User

scoobyvanjack is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na na na na
EB to this point it's also a good idea to put a meat thermometer in the water to track when it opens. Works on the lower temp 'stats. Most scales end at 190 but you can get a feel for the other when the water hits a boil at 212 (depending on your altitude. i think lower at higher elevations?)
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM