Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 PM
bugeye24
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery light

At 2.2 yrs of age in the current cold weather my battery light stays on for about a mile when I first start out in the morning. It seems a bit soon for the battery to be dying. It started with the first cold spell, stopped when it warmed up, and has now started again.
Perhaps the sensor is just very sensitive to a slight voltage drop?
Or should I worry about the charging/regukator system?

Other items of interest:
1. My power steering system developed a leak in the first 6 months. The steering rack had to be replaced under warrenty.
2. My brake fluid warning light came on after 1.75 yrs (about 25k miles). The fluid was low. Since topping it off the level has not dropped again. Is this system that sensitive to brake wear or has there been any other experience with mystery losses?

Old 01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
Brake fluid levels should be checked often. The light is an ealry warning. At 25K is was right on.
The best thing you can do is check the voltage of the battery before starting the truck. It should be right at or around 12 volts. If it's at 11 or 10 volts your battery is on it's way out the door. You might have a warrenty on it from the dealer.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
bugeye24
New User
battery? light

It turns out that the low coolant light is commonly mistaken for the battery warning light, which I did. It also turns out that there are frequent problems/occurrences of coolant sensor malfunctions and/or coolant loss (based on info from the escape-central forum). In any case my posting was in error and my problem(?) has been solved. Thanks for the prompt reply. There forums are a great resource.