Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost rid of all my engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by RIKIL
I've heard of a 1.1v breakpoint for idle??? on the TPS. Is there any type of breakpoint voltage where the PCM does something different above and below?

Yes there is: Fuel Injection Technical Library » Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
I've heard of a 1.1v breakpoint for idle??? on the TPS. Is there any type of breakpoint voltage where the PCM does something different above and below?
The PCM computer as all computers operate on logic levels. There are three logic levels to the TPS, -1, 0, & 1.

Closed Throttle = -1
Part Throttle = 0
Wide Open Throttle = 1

The three things the computer deals with the TPS are as said above is closed throttle, part throttle and wide open throttle.

When you turn on the key the computer will save this voltage level as CT or closed throttle.
As said above when the voltage (TP) is 0.04 volt above Closed Throttle the computer will go into part throttle mode.

When the voltage (TP) is 2.71 volts above Closed Throttle voltage level the computer will go into Full Throttle mode.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
kegomatix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Motorcraft TPS today and installed it when I got home. I was excited when I saw that it was testing at .75 at idle and 4.4 at WOT (the duralast brand would only get to 3. something). Started it up and it sounded great, ran the codes and got a system pass. Took it for a test drive, now it's shifting even earlier! It shifted into overdrive at 30 mph... What the heck is going on here? It's frustrating because it's running so good, now it wants to shift weird.. I swear if it isn't one thing it's another.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Since you replaced a sensor it may be beneficial to disconnect the battery to clear the memory.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM
kegomatix
Senior User
Forgot to mention that I did that too.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by subford
The PCM computer as all computers operate on logic levels. There are three logic levels to the TPS, -1, 0, & 1.

Closed Throttle = -1
Part Throttle = 0
Wide Open Throttle = 1

The three things the computer deals with the TPS are as said above is closed throttle, part throttle and wide open throttle.

When you turn on the key the computer will save this voltage level as CT or closed throttle.
As said above when the voltage (TP) is 0.04 volt above Closed Throttle the computer will go into part throttle mode.

When the voltage (TP) is 2.71 volts above Closed Throttle voltage level the computer will go into Full Throttle mode.
According to the oldfuelinjection site, "Closed Throttle can be anywhere between 0.6-1.0 volts" and you said the PCM reads this voltage for CT. What if the truck is started and the CT reading is 1.2v, does anything change because this is out of the 0.6-1.0 v range?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
I am not sure as I have not looked at that possibility.
It would take me a month to go through the computer program to figure that out and I do not have the time right now.

I would say just make sure the voltage is in that ball park of 0.6-1.0VDC range.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kegomatix
I got the Motorcraft TPS today and installed it when I got home. I was excited when I saw that it was testing at .75 at idle and 4.4 at WOT (the duralast brand would only get to 3. something). Started it up and it sounded great, ran the codes and got a system pass. Took it for a test drive, now it's shifting even earlier! It shifted into overdrive at 30 mph... What the heck is going on here? It's frustrating because it's running so good, now it wants to shift weird.. I swear if it isn't one thing it's another.
Don't sweat this.
Since you disconnected the battery, the computer has to re-learn itself all over again.
What you're experiencing is the (for lack of a better term) "pre-set FORD program" in the computer.
Drive your truck around for a half hour or so, in town/stop and go traffic would be wise, and it SHOULD start shifting correctly.........

You're there, just give your truck a little time !!!!

Bob

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the oldfuelinjection site, "Closed Throttle can be anywhere between 0.6-1.0 volts" and you said the PCM reads this voltage for CT. What if the truck is started and the CT reading is 1.2v, does anything change because this is out of the 0.6-1.0 v range?
Not to butt in here.........

IIRC there is a pre-programmed "start routine" in the PCM that most likely uses a pre-set value(s) when the key is turned to start.

I may be off base here, but I seem to remember reading that. Thank you Ian !!!

Bob

Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by subford
I am not sure as I have not looked at that possibility.
It would take me a month to go through the computer program to figure that out and I do not have the time right now.

I would say just make sure the voltage is in that ball park of 0.6-1.0VDC range.
Thanks and I will set proper voltage. No need to go through the code even when you have time, was just thinking you knew already. Guess I found a limit.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rla2005
I had to reference this today and noticed the TPS connector on the left isn't right. The notch on the upper right should be on the upper left.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I had to reference this today and noticed the TPS connector on the left isn't right. The notch on the upper right should be on the upper left.
You need to be a little more specific. There's 4 pictured TPS sensors and 3 diagrams of the pins in each.

Which TPS "on the left"? Upper or lower? Or do you mean the diagram on the left that's at the bottom of the page?

And which notch are you talking about?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
You need to be a little more specific. There's 4 pictured TPS sensors and 3 diagrams of the pins in each.

Which TPS "on the left"? Upper or lower? Or do you mean the diagram on the left that's at the bottom of the page?

And which notch are you talking about?
I was referring to the connector with the connectors in the round/triangular configuration on the left -http://oldfuelinjection.com/images/tps02.gif

I realized the view is probably looking at the sensor and I was looking at the connector. I'm accustomed to looking at the connector view as I see on many other eec diagrams I've seen or downloaded. I didn't see on that site where it said what view that was.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
In the image you linked to it says sensor right above the diagrams.
I just pulled a sensor and looked at the sensor plug and the tab is in the right place with the diagram you linked to.

The diagram does not show the slide on mounting clip tracks but the rest is correct.

The wire colors are not displayed for the sensor if you wanted to bench test the sensor and they are:
VREF = ORANGE = +5VDC FROM COMPUTER
SIG RTN = BLACK = GROUND THROUGH THE COMPUTER TO THE NEG POST OF BATTERY
TPS = GREEN = THROTTLE POSITION INFORMATION TO COMPUTER

Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 AM
kegomatix
Senior User
Figured I would give a final update. The truck is running great, feels and sounds brand new. Just put gas in it today and did the math. I went from 7 MPG to 11 in the city. My all highway MPG is still unknown. But to jump 4 MPG in city driving, that's going to be 70 or more miles per tank than what I'm used to. This will save me a ton of money in the long run, especially the upcoming road trip. Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Almost rid of all my engine codes