1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

!!!!Annabelle lives!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
KC Ray
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!!!Annabelle lives!!!!

Maybe I've been obsessing over this little red truck too much lately, but I've not put TOO much money into her lately either.
After not really messing with her much over the winter, I decided one day to turn the idle mixture screws. That got her runnin' decent. This was after spending most of last year tinkering with trying to figure out why she wouldn't run. Replaced the fuel filters, new fuel pump (which it needed due to leaking diaphragm), took the carb off and replaced with one from my '82 F-150, adjusted the original carb's float, cleaned the crap out of it, put it back on the motor after after the '82's didn't do any better, replaced the rubber parts of the fuel line, and finally last fall removed the fuel tank and washed it out and got the "junk" out.
After I got the idle screws set, I had to replace the fuel pump again because it had a crack in it, leaking fuel. I got a new one as soon as I could because I remember one of my dad's friends car that caught fire. He was backing his restored '60's Camaro out of our driveway and it went up in flames as soon as he hit the street. He got out okay, but that nice car was toast. After everything cooled, they somehow determined that it was a fuel leak. I don't want that to happen to Annabelle.
A few weeks ago my wife and I took the stepside bed off. After we did this the tail lights were dangling by the extra long spliced wiring. I decided to take the splices out so I could mount the lights to the frame. After getting everything hooked up I found I had no stop lights. I traced every wire down and couldn't find no breaks. Everything was grounded, fuses good. Finally my brother suggested the switch. Sure enough it was bad. After reading through my shop manual, it said I needed to bleed the brakes. Only problem is that the master cylinder lid was rusted to the body. Got a reman master cylinder today at Advanced Auto Parts for $37 and a new switch at AutoZone for $6. When I got home I pulled the old parts and put on the new. Now the brake lights work! Now I just need some help bleeding the brakes and hopefully we can get on the road. Next projects will be getting the steering straighter and maybe some wood in the bed.
Well, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm just more than a little excited to get back in this truck.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 AM
fast58
Senior User
Sounds good!

As far as bleeding the brakes goes, if you have a jar and some tubing that will fit the bleeder valve, you can bleed them by yourself. That's how I bleed mine.

You open the bleeder valve on the farthest wheel from the master cylinder first, put the hose on the bleeder valve (make sure it fits tight) , then you put about an inch or two of brake fluid in the jar with the other end of the hose in the fluid in the jar.(I usually clothes pin the hose to the jar to keep it in the fluid)

Fill the master cylinder and go inside to begin pumping the brake pedal.. After your leg gets tired check the hose for air bubbles, if the hose is solid fluid, close the valve and move to the next wheel. Oh and when the jar begins to fill up pour the fluid back into the master cylinder. That's the beauty of bleeding the brakes like this... you don't lose any fluid on the ground; you can bleed the whole system with one can of fluid. It works I promise.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast 58 is correct this method works well. If the fluid is old I would toss it and put new fluid in the system. Also make sure you don't run the master cylinder dry during the process. They sell a kit at Advanced to do this, it is cheap and has hose and fittings for many applications.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Hey KC, 'obsessing too much lately' ? Sheesh, what's that make me? (don't answer) You got any pictures of that red truck?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 AM
2losteve
Senior User
Question

Did you bench bleed the master before you installed it? If you didn't, it can add some frustration to the bleeding process.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
KC Ray
Junior User
Yup. Benched it til I could only go about an eigth inch. The wife wants to help with this truck and we work different hours, so I can wait a day or two.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM
KC Ray
Junior User
I haven't figured out how to post photos using my phone, yet. I have some in my gallery from a couple years back, when I first found this site.
I was able to get her stuck n the mud in the field tonight after dumping some wood chip bedding. Me and the wife really "enjoyed" getting it out. Finally bit-the-bullet and got the Dog@$ 4x4 Big Horn to pull it out. But still got to see the chase scene on Alcatraz that recreated the Steve McQueen chase scene in Bullet.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 PM
MARC
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
bleeding

get old oxygen tubing and push on end of nipple, fill bottle so end of tubing is under liquid, open valve, and bleed away.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 AM
KC Ray
Junior User
Got the fronts bleed on Saturday. Couldn't get the back ones because there is some sort of obstruction or the brake cylinders at the rear wheels are bad. I will check it out later. May have to get some new brake lines.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
In searching for brake line solutions I found your post. I named my light blue '60 F100, Annabel also. Small world.