1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New injectors, turbo rebuild...runs great but won't restart!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New injectors, turbo rebuild...runs great but won't restart!

I'll make this as brief as I can:

• Installed new injectors; (Baby Swamps 150/146), and rebuilt turbo.
  • Put everything back together about 3 weeks ago; started right up after 30 seconds cranking; took it out for about 10 miles; ran Great!
  • Brought it back and died 2 feet from the garage door.
  • Would not restart; made sort of loud knocking noise while cranking.
  • Came back next day; checked HPOP level; about 1.5" below top; filled with oil; cranked for 30 seconds and started.
  • Took her out for another 10 miles or so; ran Great.
  • Brought it back; pulled into garage and turned her off. Went to restart after a few minutes.....no restart and same knocking sound..(no idea whether this knocking sound has anything to do with anything just thought I should mention it).
  • Couple friends told me that I should install the chip that I bought with the injectors before starting again. (I purposely left out the chip so it would not be suspect if things didn't run right after installing the injectors)
  • Went back to it 2 nights ago; temporarily hooked up the PCM after installing the chip. Cranked right over and ran smooth. Took it out for 20 miles this time and it ran Great!
  • Brought it back, parked it and shut it down. Tried restart after 5-10 minutes....No Go and still with the knocking noise????
Sorry for being so long winded but wanted to give a good description of what is happening.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong here?

I am at wits end trying to figure this out. Oh, and did I mention the truck has been in my buddies garage since Dec. 2nd.......not making his wife too happy!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
I bet there is still alot of air in the system.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
I bet there is still alot of air in the system.
I have put about 40 miles on it so far, you think there could still be that much air in it? I can't figure how it can run smooth as silk when I take it out but then won't restart after shut down??

Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
bubba_3711
Senior User
my guess is a bad CPS. Sounds kinda similar to what my pickup was doing after I did my turbo and injectors.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM
bubba_3711
Senior User
Also check your oil level in the HPOP and the engine oil again, make sure there both full.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Originally Posted by bubba_3711
my guess is a bad CPS. Sounds kinda similar to what my pickup was doing after I did my turbo and injectors.
So far, after sitting for a day or so it starts up and runs like a dream. Then it just won't restart right away. Does that sound like a CPS? Sorry but I just can't get past the fact that it runs perfectly when I get it started and then just will not restart within 5 minutes or so after I shut it down????

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 AM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Originally Posted by bubba_3711
Also check your oil level in the HPOP and the engine oil again, make sure there both full.
The truck sat for a couple days and then I checked the HPOP level yesterday. It was about and inch low. Filled it and checked the oil.

Is it possible for the oil from the HPOP to leak down and end up in oil pan? I have filled the HPOP 3 times now but the Oil level on the dipstick is reading high. I even drained a quart off after the first time I ran the truck but it is still reading high??

Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
A 1/2" to a 1" from the top is normal

Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
have you checked fuel pressure? mech or e-fuel?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Any oil you add to the HPOP reservoir is going to end up in the oil pan, so if you keep having to fill the reservoir, it is normal for the oil on the dipstick to increase.

Originally Posted by fordman67
That's what I was wondering too. The knocking sound could be from low fuel pressure. But you also need to sniff test the oil on the dipstick and make sure it doesn't smell like diesel. That could be another reason the oil level keeps growing.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Originally Posted by fordman67
Have not checked the fuel pressure. Do not have the equipment to do so, need to borrow or buy. Any recommendations on what to buy?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Originally Posted by F350-6
Any oil you add to the HPOP reservoir is going to end up in the oil pan, so if you keep having to fill the reservoir, it is normal for the oil on the dipstick to increase.

That's what I was wondering too. The knocking sound could be from low fuel pressure. But you also need to sniff test the oil on the dipstick and make sure it doesn't smell like diesel. That could be another reason the oil level keeps growing.
I assume that unless something is wrong somewhere, there should be a point when the oil pan and the HPOP maintain at full level without the HPOP continually leaking down into the oil pan?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FallstonYJ
Have not checked the fuel pressure. Do not have the equipment to do so, need to borrow or buy. Any recommendations on what to buy?
Use a air pressure gauge for a tire at the schraeder valve on the side of the fuel bowl. Check with key on for e-fuel, or while cranking for mechanical fuel.

Originally Posted by FallstonYJ
I assume that unless something is wrong somewhere, there should be a point when the oil pan and the HPOP maintain at full level without the HPOP continually leaking down into the oil pan?
Correct, the HPOP reservoir should not be leaking down, but excessive cranking can cause it to be low, so figure out if it's leaking down after sitting for a couple of days, or just getting low after cranking attempts.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Thanks for all of the responses so far! I really appreciate it. My truck sat for nine months before I gathered all of the parts and got motivated enough to install everything. Now it is killing me that after all of this time, work, & of course $$, I can't get the thing to run correctly!

You have given me some things to try when I get back at it tomorrow. Had a couple of local guys tell me that they think it is still air in the system so hopefully one of these suggestions works and I can get this thing back to hauling my Jeep!

Thanks again,
Tom

Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

[quote=F350-6;12934406]Use a air pressure gauge for a tire at the schraeder valve on the side of the fuel bowl. Check with key on for e-fuel, or while cranking for mechanical fuel.

What should the fuel pressure be when checking as you suggest? Would a digital air pressure gauge work for this?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: New injectors, turbo rebuild...runs great but won't restart!