Computer Chips & Tuners  

MAF calibrator vs hand-held preogrammer

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 AM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a diagram for the wires for the maf sensor because I am hooking up a maf modifier to my 04 f350 6.0 powerstroke. Either have the diagram or maybe a link to one would be great.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 AM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Does anyone have a diagram for 04 f350 6.0 powerstroke maf sensor wireing because I'm hooking up a modifier and need to know the different wires.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by RIKIL
OK, that would be the first time I heard a MASS air system not having that sensor. It could certainly be correct. I wouldn't know how the PCM would get that information, maybe another sensor? Or maybe it doesn't need it, no idea.
The truck MAF system does not use a BARO sensor it calculates that figure from MAF data.. somehow, it was only the MAF cars that used that sensor. Strange but true.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ANigrelli132
Does anyone have a diagram for 04 f350 6.0 powerstroke maf sensor wireing because I'm hooking up a modifier and need to know the different wires.

Thanks
I don't have experience with an 04 but I do have the newer style air sensor, aren't there 4 wires coming out?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
The truck MAF system does not use a BARO sensor it calculates that figure from MAF data.. somehow, it was only the MAF cars that used that sensor. Strange but true.
Thanks, I was a bit perplexed as to how the PCM could do this.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm
Why are you cutting wires in your truck. Why don't you get a real programmer to add power and compensate for tuning. I just don't see what good can come from you adding this item that a quality tune can't fix in a much better way.
Are you drawing too much air through it and running out the maf.
I'm curious as to what the item you're trying to install, actually does and what problem your trying to compensate for with it.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
I don't have experience with an 04 but I do have the newer style air sensor, aren't there 4 wires coming out?
There are 6 wires comming out of the sensor

Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Ummm
Why are you cutting wires in your truck. Why don't you get a real programmer to add power and compensate for tuning. I just don't see what good can come from you adding this item that a quality tune can't fix in a much better way.
Are you drawing too much air through it and running out the maf.
I'm curious as to what the item you're trying to install, actually does and what problem your trying to compensate for with it.
Not cutting splicing for the connection of the maf chip. And rather not spend 700 on something that I can get for 70 and does the same things. Not trying to fix a problem there are no problems. This chip gives more power and better fuel economy.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Sounds like every other gimmick out there... Will increase power and "fuel economy" without doing anything but tricking the motor into thinking its doing something that its not.

Are you adding this module thing inline, or parrallel to the existing wires.
What a out transmission tuning, what are you going to do with that extra power that the transmission thinks is stock and has sluggish sloppy shifts. What about the added egt that's probably not accounted for. A programmer with a basic tune is only 450$. It not only will do the exact same thing as this $70 module, but will do it better and safer, as well as being upgrade able and did I say safe. I'm glad its your 6liter that's being risked and not mine. I've been told they aren't cheap. I've done a lot of sketchy cheap power mods in my younger days, only they were on a lot cheaper toys.
I hope you found the wire diagram you were looking for. I don't have that info. Sorry

Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ANigrelli132
This chip gives more power and better fuel economy.
those are 2 things every truck and car manufacturer today would like to deliver. You won't be able to get that out of a $70 item. The reason a tune is so critical is because, when done right, the air, fuel, and spark is balanced.

I don't know what the 6 wires are for. But I do know what a MASS Air sensor does and the changes you will make will either richen or lean the fuel to the motor. More is OK, to a point, but less fuel could blow your motor.

These units do what they are designed to do, but not always what they say they will do. good luck

Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Sct tuner with custom tunes. Spend the 450 and save your motor and transmission...

Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
those are 2 things every truck and car manufacturer today would like to deliver. You won't be able to get that out of a $70 item. The reason a tune is so critical is because, when done right, the air, fuel, and spark is balanced.

I don't know what the 6 wires are for. But I do know what a MASS Air sensor does and the changes you will make will either richen or lean the fuel to the motor. More is OK, to a point, but less fuel could blow your motor.

These units do what they are designed to do, but not always what they say they will do. good luck
It's a diesel there is no spark brother. And you can get both with the right chip my buddy has this chip and he increased hp by 80 and tourqe by 100 and got 10 more miles to the gallon because of a better breathing engine that's the point to these chips to by pass the stupid restrictions that oem does and lets the beast free.

Also def not buying a tuner for 450 complete waist of money in my opinion.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
80hp and 100tq..... Along with +10mpg!!!!!!

Sign me up

See ya later. Comments like this make me feel like I'm talking to a Dodge guy.
I hope you get the results you're looking for.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Being the best thing you can do to a powerstroke, that tuner will save you headaches with motor and transmission problems associated with other "canned" programmers. Do what you wish, but your buddy is full of crap

Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
gman97005
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, that's another good way to tell. A MAP sensor will have a vacuum line from there to the manifold. If you still have that sensor and it just has an open port where the vacuum line would go, then it is a BAP.

BAP = MASS Air
MAP = SD
The MAP and the BAP are the same component, when the key is turned on the computer measures the barometric pressure, when the engine is started the BAP becomes the MAP and measures manifold absolute pressure, 1 device performs 2 functions..

Quick Reply: MAF calibrator vs hand-held preogrammer