Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM
New User

geordieboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
1984 f150 with c6 transmission - confused on fluid

I have read a lot of stuff on which tranny fluid to use on older trucks. Some people say F some say mercon after 1977. What is confusing me is the fact that the dipstick in my truck zays DEXRON II fluid only. So now I am not sure what to use when I drop the pan and change the filter out.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
partsguymatt PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
If the original stick calls for Dexron/Mercron, just use the newer III, it's compatible.
#22needsaface - Help serve those who served you.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Yes, the original stick is authoritative so long as it hasn't been swapped out with another over the years.

A good reference would be the Owner's Manual; if you don't have one, then purchase one from eBay.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If you read the fine print on the new dexron bottles, it will usually say that it's compatible with all the previous dexron fluids. You won't find "dexron II" anymore unless you find some new old stock sitting on the shelf.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
New User

Thanks for the great info. I have 2 questions:
1) Can I verfiy the transmission type by the label on the transfer case?
2) If I am doing a pan drop and filter change is that the full 12Qts that I will need to replace?

The transfer case has 2 numbers:
1) a casting that says C-13683 (NP)
2) a new process gear label that reads:
208F and E3TA7 95RA 6 2 83 and at the bottom 261

The tag on the door jam says transmission code K.

Truck is 1984 f150 4wd 5.8l 351w.

Thanks for all the great help!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Posting Guru

Ken Blythen has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a good reputation on FTE.
1. I don't think so - those numbers you list relate to the t/case itself.
2. The torque converter holds a big proportion of the oil, so for a full change it will also need to be drained.

If you remove the small access cover at the lower front of the trans, you can turn the converter until you get to the drain plug.

Here are some pics to id a C6

Older F Series .net • View topic - Automatic Transmission Info

There are slightly different bellhousings, but the transmissions are essentially the same.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
Dexron = Mercon

Mercon = Dexron

Dexron is a Registered Trademark of General Motors Company. Ford bought the rights to use the Dexron name and fluid until Ford came out with their own Registered Trademark, Mercon. They are identical fluids.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Post Fiend

IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Also FYI, *PRE* 1977 C6's that have not been rebuilt yet use Type F. Any C6 built after 1977 does not use Type F.

1990 Ford F250 4x4, ZF5, L/S 4.10, N/A 7.3L Diesel, 568,808km/377,497 miles, still on the original clutch!
1989 Ford F150 300-6, C6, 2.73, 152,000km/95,000 miles.
1987 Ford E350 26ft. Motorhome, N/A 6.9L Diesel, C6, 3.54, 289,000km/180,000 miles.
1985 Ford E350 Ext Van, 6.9L Diesel, C6, 4.11, 677,000km/425k miles
Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Posting Guru

TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
Flying in the face of sound knowledge, I have ran B&M Trick Shift (fancy name for Type F) with no issues. I noticed better shifts and less slippage when hot.

As others have said though, Dex/Merc is what the book calls for. I think (don't quote me on this) that Type F is kind of gritty in its composition, so it supposedly helps the clutches grip better. All I know is, my trans hasn't blown up or even hinted at wanting to, so...

1995 Jeep Cherokee
| 4.0L | AW4 | One owner |

Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Hey, Kirby, read this. I have no idea how true & accurate it is, but it might help:

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn View Post
Also FYI, *PRE* 1977 C6's that have not been rebuilt yet use Type F. Any C6 built after 1977 does not use Type F.
I was going to post similar to this but I did not know the year. I suppose some rebuild kits were out there for a while after 77 with the old style clutches requiring type F, but it is pretty safe to assume most everything on the road today takes mercon/dextron, or newer fluid.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
partsguymatt PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
Trick shift is not type F, it is nowhere near as harsh. It is Dex/Merc with a mild friction modifier in it, like adding a lube guard type product.
#22needsaface - Help serve those who served you.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Posting Guru

TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Hey, Kirby, read this. I have no idea how true & accurate it is, but it might help:

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archion
Trick shift is not type F, it is nowhere near as harsh. It is Dex/Merc with a mild friction modifier in it, like adding a lube guard type product.
I didn't know that. I had read on here before that it was just rebranded type F so I believed it, since the bottle says it meets type F requirements, or some such.

1995 Jeep Cherokee
| 4.0L | AW4 | One owner |

Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
New User

Is there any difference in brands when looking for DEX/MER fluid?
There are so many brands out there and with having to buy 12qts I was interested to see whether expensive = better! I know motorcraft is around $6 qt.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
There is a difference in brands. I used to work at one of the largest oil companies in the world and talked to the lube engineers frequently. They pointed out that I could see cases and drums of various brands of lube coming out of our blending facility - including Ford as we had the contract with Ford at the time. What they explained is that the big oil companies make a base lube that meets the minimum spec's, and then blend in the additives required by the various companies to meet their spec's. IOW, the base for a given lube, such as Type F, is essentially the same. But, Motorcraft Type F will have certain additives, O'Reilly's Type F will have different additives or volumes of the additives, etc.

Having said that, there are specialty lubes, such as Royal Purple and maybe Trick Shift, that may be made by small companies and might be quite different from others. But, if you aren't wanting/needing to go that way then stay with the standard stuff. And, within that if you needing to save some money the house brands of many of the auto parts stores, like O'Reilly's, have their own brand that meet the necessary spec's. That's what I've used in several of the trucks I've worked on and have had no problems.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 AM