Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stacks good idea?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
bielaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks good idea?????

I have a 2000 250 7.3 and I am thinking of replacing the stock exhaust with a set of stacks. 4" down pipe from the turbo to a 4" inlet y pipe with a 5" outlet. two stacks 5" to 8" the only reason I am thinking of do this is that I am getting the whole set up for 140 and it all only has 5000 miles on it. Would this be a smart move? What are some of the pros and cons

Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
BestNeverRest
New User
Pros- Looks cool and sounds tuff
Cons-Holes in floor and after a few hundred miles the noise in the cab sucks imo

Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Pros: looks good if you like stacks; larger exhaust diameter; loud

Cons: Might have legal issues depending on location; holes cut in bed; potential drone on highway, no performance/efficiency benefit over standard style aftermarket exhaust; loud

Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
bielaf
Senior User
Yeah I don't mind the hole in the bed. I figured that I already have a loud truck might as well add to it. The states that I will be living in they count the turbo as a muffler so I am good there. I have done my research on exhaust laws being in the military and moving around

Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Sounds like a good deal for you then. $140 is a low price for that setup.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM
bielaf
Senior User
Yeah my buddy is twin turboing his dodge Cummings and is selling me the straight pipe y pipe and the stacks he bought the set up from mbrp 6 months ago so I'm not complaining

Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I myself am not a fan of stacks. Personally I think they belong on big rigs and Dodges but then again I am an old guy.

Pro's: cheap exhaust system and you will be able find your truck in a Walmart parking lot.

Con's: You'll need to stack your stacks and put put huge tow mirrors on it.
It will be real easy for the cops find you in traffic and hassle you.
Rain can and will get in them unless you have caps or flappers.

Basically it boils down to personal taste.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Stacks have a tendency to spatter soot on your paint. Moisture gets in the pipes from the dew and end up all over the bed, what's in your bed, and all over what your towing.
That's the biggest complaint I've heard from thus that have done it.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
bielaf
Senior User
The ones I am thinking about putting on are not crazy they are flat black truck itself is black 36" long so they will not be any taller then the cab and they are angled cut

Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm also old... ish. Love my stacks! Loud, sooty.... gotta wash inside the bed alot. Hellz yeah!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
As long as you remember, it's for the sake of impressing you. There won't be an audience shouting cheers... more like people living their lives, looking at the source of the noise when you pass, and saying "Jeez". The tubes will be behind your back when you're driving, so you're not looking at them. You're stereo is just drowned out by them (not exactly for a long drive out of state). Women aren't typically impressed, they normally just tolerate them... sometimes not even that. It's a costly mod if you ever sell the truck... it really whacks the value.

It's like a tatoo... sometimes a person likes it their entire lives, other people say "What the hell was I thinking?"

Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 AM
trk98
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
As long as you remember, it's for the sake of impressing you. There won't be an audience shouting cheers... more like people living their lives, looking at the source of the noise when you pass, and saying "Jeez". The tubes will be behind your back when you're driving, so you're not looking at them. You're stereo is just drowned out by them (not exactly for a long drive out of state). Women aren't typically impressed, they normally just tolerate them... sometimes not even that. It's a costly mod if you ever sell the truck... it really whacks the value.

It's like a tatoo... sometimes a person likes it their entire lives, other people say "What the hell was I thinking?"
^ I wish this post was there for about 80% of my decisions in life. Just rearrange some words to fit the situation.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Had stacks on a truck I owned, came from factory like that (Dodge).... Looked good and sounded good for a couple of years. Then the maintenance started getting out of hand. Lower pipes and mufflers rusting out all of the time from water getting in. Vibrations from the cab to bed movements made for a lot of exhaust leaks. Blow soot all over the bed and upper wheel wells, had to clean all of the time and over time messed up the paint. I loved the truck but she was a high maintenance girl because of her stacks.....

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM
UcaN
Senior User
I'de rather spend the $140 on a straight through muffler. To me the drone alone would be a deterrent.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I just dont like them but to each their own.

Quick Reply: Stacks good idea?????