1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What was the worst thing the po did to your truck

Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with everyone else- great save on the dash. I am resisting cutting mine as it is in good shape (except where the center was hacked up and bent in, but I got that fixed). Tempting since a friend gave me a full set of Stewart Warner gauges. Unfortunately, they are around 2.5" or so round, so I can't get them all in the original area. Resisting the temptation to cut. Sorry if OT.

I will contribute one of the many things I cuss about. The PPO had cut out the floorboard (the entire radius near the trans hump) to scab in an unknown gas pedal. It was truly horrendous and took me quite a while to patch it back to usable again.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dmack,
I hear you on the gauges. I went back & forth
on what gauges are absolutely necessary & what's "nice to have".
Speedo, Temp, Gas, RPM's were my necessary ones.
Oil & Battery - Not so much... That said we had no choice but to
Unhack the dash & so we had room for all gauges in the end.

OT - Our fuel gauge still doesn't work right as we have a 1970 Mustang tank & sending unit & modern gauges. I thought I could make it happen - nope I need to drop the tank for a new sending unit - just not feeling it yet.

Looking good over there in Oregon!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Ben, I wanna know more about those cup holders.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
A great improvement on the dash! My wife gets her cars based on the cup holder placement and its ergonomics. Literally her number one priority. She would approve! And if you want to change those cheap shelf brackets I can supply you with some commercial ones that will hold much more weight!
Hey Topper, don't forget the handful of metric bolts!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Maverick,
As you will have experienced there are a few creature comforts like armrests, electric door locks & windows, & cupholders that are missing.
No stinking arm rests or electric windows here but cupholders - It's really hot here all the time - you need to have a place for drinks. Since we went with a bench seat the console option was out.

These cupholders are from an old salvage yard Saab. Probably would have been much easier to just use those plastic ones that fit in the window slot. These Saab cupholders have a cool factor but in reality you have to mount a pretty good size box up inside your dash - so it's some work.

If you live somewhere hot I'd walk around a salvage yard looking at all the car company approaches to cup holders & pick one. It's very uncomfortable going from something like our minivan with 18 cupholders to our '50 F1 with none - Had to have something.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Maverick,
As you will have experienced there are a few creature comforts like armrests, electric door locks & windows, & cupholders that are missing.
No stinking arm rests or electric windows here but cupholders - It's really hot here all the time - you need to have a place for drinks. Since we went with a bench seat the console option was out.

These cupholders are from an old salvage yard Saab. Probably would have been much easier to just use those plastic ones that fit in the window slot. These Saab cupholders have a cool factor but in reality you have to mount a pretty good size box up inside your dash - so it's some work.

If you live somewhere hot I'd walk around a salvage yard looking at all the car company approaches to cup holders & pick one. It's very uncomfortable going from something like our minivan with 18 cupholders to our '50 F1 with none - Had to have something.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

I actually pirated the shifter/cup holder console cover out of a Pontiac Aztec to possibly use in my 56... probably gonna use a late 90's Tacoma bench seat and a floor shifter...

Thanks for the info, Ben... I think your dash is a work of art.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Hey Maverick,

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
In college, I found that my pewter mug with the glass bottom would sit right beside me on the seat and not spill..... Hmmmm.... those were the days!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Dang Ben, no oil pressure gauge?! I have lost lifters in two engines (Ford 429 and Jeep 258), resulting in immediate oil pressure loss - like to zero. That is one gauge I will always keep, but to each their own.

Now if I could just get my front axle back from the machine shop that is honing the kingpin bushings, I could get back to working on it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Maverick,

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Back in the day we had to learn to keep our knees together.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Jfarley50f2
Freshman User
Wire mesh n bondo in all the rust spots then welding the rear fenders on the box

Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM
my55fordpkup
New User
the po to my 55 crudely brased in plates of brass over some rust holes on the eyebrows then covered them with about half inch(more in some places) of bondo, the truck came from east coast and as i found out waaaay after i bought it was rittled with rust and had cheap bondo alllll over the body. while i was tearing the truck down getting ready to rebuild everything i found that the rear cab mounts were missing and the cab was just sitting on 2"x2" suare tubing welded to the frame.... i spent 2years a couple of 8hr days a week cutting out the rust and fabing in all new sheet metal then body work and paint all by myself, it was fun and im glad i made myself do it all but, wow, it seemed that around every turn there was another place where the po had mickey moused something....dont get me going on the wireing !hahaha im still dealing with that mess!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has been my experiance that Mickey always does nice work of that caliber .

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
SizekingTx
New User
My PO tried to install a 460 with C6 but never finished. He cut out sections of the frame tom make room for the manifolds and most of the front cross member to make space for the fan blade. Then put some "homemade" engine brackets directly on top of the frame with some very ugly welds. Also made a battery holder out of angle iron and welded it to the firewall.

I was lucky enough to find a new F2 frame and bought it. Just finished tearing that down and its ready to be sandblasted.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
SizekingTx
New User
Originally Posted by Jfarley50f2
Wire mesh n bondo in all the rust spots then welding the rear fenders on the box

Mine did that too. Down in the rear back corners of the cab, spots on the fenders, and two strange large holes in the firewall just in front of the cowl vent

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by SizekingTx
My PO tried to install a 460 with C6 but never finished. He cut out sections of the frame tom make room for the manifolds and most of the front cross member to make space for the fan blade. Then put some "homemade" engine brackets directly on top of the frame with some very ugly welds. Also made a battery holder out of angle iron and welded it to the firewall.

I was lucky enough to find a new F2 frame and bought it. Just finished tearing that down and its ready to be sandblasted.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see pictures of this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What was the worst thing the po did to your truck