Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM
rjlabonte rjlabonte is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
rjlabonte is starting off with a positive reputation.
2008 F450 w/6.4, White Smoke from exhaust?

I have a 2008 F450 with the 6.4 diesel engine, about 60,000 miles. The other morning after a solo (no RV) short drive, I noticed a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust pipe. That was the first time I noticed it and it has not done it since then. What could it have been and is it something I need to be concerned about?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,691
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlabonte View Post
I have a 2008 F450 with the 6.4 diesel engine, about 60,000 miles. The other morning after a solo (no RV) short drive, I noticed a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust pipe. That was the first time I noticed it and it has not done it since then. What could it have been and is it something I need to be concerned about?
Was it by chance on a regen??, are you loosing any antifreeze, little more info required.
__________________
My name is Jeff BUT "My Buddies call me Bubba"

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
rjlabonte rjlabonte is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
rjlabonte is starting off with a positive reputation.

Can't say if it was on a regen, some times theregen just flashes up on the console for a second or two and you don't see it. Does the regen system throw a puff of white smoke on occasion when it kicks in?

Don’t see any antifreeze either dripping tothe ground or on any of the hoses and stuff. The entire cooling system was replaced about a year ago under warranty.fficeffice" />>>
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
StanleyZ's Avatar
StanleyZ StanleyZ is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,251
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Was it in wet or humid weather and accompanied by a shrudder or a momentary loss of power??
__________________
2014 DRW, CC, 4X4, Lariat. 85 gallon in bed auxiliary fuel tank, UWS tool box, spray in bed liner by Bullet liner and a little truck bling.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
rjlabonte rjlabonte is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
rjlabonte is starting off with a positive reputation.
We're in the RGV right now so it was not wet and humid out. There was no shrudder or a momentary loss of power that I could detect.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,691
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Make a mental note (or mark) cold, on the degas bottle of your antifreeze level and check it often. Most here check there's at least once a week. If you arent loosing any I would say you were in a regen and dont sweat it.

Your level should always be in between the lines cold.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
spoolen&smoken's Avatar
spoolen&smoken spoolen&smoken is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: council bluffs iowa
Posts: 71
spoolen&smoken is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same thing happen to me. Called the Ford garage I think he said something about there being an exhuast sensor that causes this on the 6.4. Anyways he knew what I was talking about and fixed it. Wasn't long after I removed the DPF so I'm not sure if it was truly "fixed". But FYI without DPF there has been no white smoke.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Mystic_Cobra's Avatar
Mystic_Cobra Mystic_Cobra is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 405
Mystic_Cobra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine frequently throws a white cloud of smoke during regen but not always. It's usually when accelerating from stop.

I monitor regens now via my ScanGauge2. EGT over 575 means regen. Regen during a tow soars past 800.
__________________
Jimmy
2015 F350 Platinum SCrew DRW 4x4 LB
1965 289 Mustang coupe, 1996 Mustang Cobra road racer, '98 Mustang Cobra DD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM
nuckinfutz nuckinfutz is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
nuckinfutz is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2010, 250 does smoke too. Been to the dealership many times for this problem. Never happens below 15 degrees F. Always when engine temperature is at normal, blue/white smoke, very heavy.. Sometimes I feel like 007 or an A1M1 Abrams tank with a smoke screen capabilities. No loss of coolant, no coolant in the oil. No loss of power or misfire. The dealership replaced the air charger, which I would have called the intercooler, because there was a TSB that described my conditions almost exactly. But after 1 week it returned.
The first time I called the dealership the said I brought the truck in for the same problem 9 months earlier. Ha, I didn't own the truck then, that was the first owner. At that time the EGR was replaced. I'm threatening lemon law, and will pursue it if necessary.
So my question is has anyone else had this problem and if so what was done to remedy the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM
senix's Avatar
senix senix is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 21,067
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
My 2010, 250 does smoke too. Been to the dealership many times for this problem. Never happens below 15 degrees F. Always when engine temperature is at normal, blue/white smoke, very heavy.. Sometimes I feel like 007 or an A1M1 Abrams tank with a smoke screen capabilities. No loss of coolant, no coolant in the oil. No loss of power or misfire. The dealership replaced the air charger, which I would have called the intercooler, because there was a TSB that described my conditions almost exactly. But after 1 week it returned.
The first time I called the dealership the said I brought the truck in for the same problem 9 months earlier. Ha, I didn't own the truck then, that was the first owner. At that time the EGR was replaced. I'm threatening lemon law, and will pursue it if necessary.
So my question is has anyone else had this problem and if so what was done to remedy the problem?
Water buildup in the CAC (intercooler) is a normal condition. Some have issues with it and some don't. Alot depends upon your use and driving style as well.

It is condensation that buildups up over time.

Sometimes an occasional WOT will help to keep it clear. Lots of towing also helps to keep it cleared out.

then the other issue of smoke at the start of a regen is another one of those events. Separate issue from the water in the cac issue though. Some have the smoke at the start of a regen and some don't. It is generally considered normal to due cold exhaust system..but over 160F enine temps at the start of the cycle.
__________________
Scott-2013 F350 with a lot of tires.
2013 40' 4-slider stoneridge 5th wheel coming in at 15,400; 2015 Lincoln MKC
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
nuckinfutz nuckinfutz is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
nuckinfutz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, as stated earlier, the dealership just replaced the air charger (looks like a new intercooler,first radiator type rig in the front)and within 1 week the rig began to show its smoke signals.
It's not bad for me, the operator, but the poor folks behind me that worries me. If there was a way for me to upload the 58 second video I made last week, I'm sure it would raise some eyebrows on this site.
The atmosphere in CT. now has been very dry, 17-30% humidity. In one week I don't believe that there could be enough moisture to resurrect this problem.
As for the regen, it now comes on after the first sign or puff of smoke. It stays on for 20 miles until I arrive home and then have to shut down even though the info panel says "Drive to Clean". This is something new since the replacement of the air charger.
Just some observations, while driving, and smoke begins I can come to a stop and the smoke will stop. It may not restart when driving resumes or it may start immediately after driving begins. Oddly, if I place the gearshift into neutral while the truck is still moving the smoke will stop and begin as soon as I get into drive (carefully bringing revs back to an appropriate level).
Okay, call me a rookie, what is WOT? Whaling On Throttle? Unfortunately, the truck was bought to tow our camper trailer, 33' long, but that only happens a few times a year. It has become my daily driver. I feel fortunate that I get 12.8 mpg after reading some other posts. It goes down to 10.5 mpg while towing, still not bad.
Is there a place to upload a small video being a free member?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM
senix's Avatar
senix senix is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 21,067
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
wot is wide open throttle.

Sound like your regen issue is because of city driving and not completing the regen.
__________________
Scott-2013 F350 with a lot of tires.
2013 40' 4-slider stoneridge 5th wheel coming in at 15,400; 2015 Lincoln MKC
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,691
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Well, as stated earlier, the dealership just replaced the air charger (looks like a new intercooler,first radiator type rig in the front)and within 1 week the rig began to show its smoke signals.
It's not bad for me, the operator, but the poor folks behind me that worries me. If there was a way for me to upload the 58 second video I made last week, I'm sure it would raise some eyebrows on this site.
The atmosphere in CT. now has been very dry, 17-30% humidity. In one week I don't believe that there could be enough moisture to resurrect this problem.
As for the regen, it now comes on after the first sign or puff of smoke. It stays on for 20 miles until I arrive home and then have to shut down even though the info panel says "Drive to Clean". This is something new since the replacement of the air charger.
Just some observations, while driving, and smoke begins I can come to a stop and the smoke will stop. It may not restart when driving resumes or it may start immediately after driving begins. Oddly, if I place the gearshift into neutral while the truck is still moving the smoke will stop and begin as soon as I get into drive (carefully bringing revs back to an appropriate level).
Okay, call me a rookie, what is WOT? Whaling On Throttle? Unfortunately, the truck was bought to tow our camper trailer, 33' long, but that only happens a few times a year. It has become my daily driver. I feel fortunate that I get 12.8 mpg after reading some other posts. It goes down to 10.5 mpg while towing, still not bad.
Is there a place to upload a small video being a free member?
The drive to clean means what it says, during regen you need to continue driving, preferably above 35 MPH until it done with it's regen cycle. Sounds like your truck might want for you to hook your trailer up and drive it like it stolen.
__________________
My name is Jeff BUT "My Buddies call me Bubba"

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
nuckinfutz nuckinfutz is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
nuckinfutz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, got to take the trailer to the dealership to have the spring opening and review before the one year warranty on workmanship is up, and I do have a few things that have to be repaired. But that being said, it's not far enough to put a whoopin on the throttle, nor hilly enough to spin the turbo's to a full 30 psi for an extended period.
But honestly, when I bought the truck last year, the regen took ten minutes. Now I drive 20-30 miles and it's still on. BUT, the truck smokes like a chimney without the info panel calling for the regen to happen. Odd, definitely! The Ford dealership has checked the OBC to see if there were any codes to indicate the presence of any trouble, nil. They're baffled too.
I'm trying to be patient, but if I'm towing my camper for 300 miles to Bar Harbor Maine, and the trailer fills with smelly, un-burnt diesel fumes, my children will never enter the camper again. I'm not sure what your financial status is, but I can't take a 50K hit for a unwanted camper trailer, and a 4 door fuel hog.
If I'm pushed much further, and it still smokes I'll have to pursue the lemon law. Here in CT.,it covers the warrantee period which with the 6.4 diesel is 100K. If I keep filming everytime it happens, they my believe me that its a hazard to myself, my family and those following behind me. Not to mention the environment. I was always told diesel was cleaner than other internal combustion engines.
C'mon, this has never happened before to any other F250 or 6.4?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,691
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine did it once, my regens with 72,000 on it averaged between 260 and 290 miles, each regen lasted 11 to 14 miles at 65MPH.
__________________
My name is Jeff BUT "My Buddies call me Bubba"

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light smoke and heavy exhaust smell dynarider33 Super Duty & Heavy Duty 2 08-28-2014 08:52 PM
2008 f-250 pouring white smoke wburge 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 31 11-25-2013 05:49 PM
2008 6.4 no power swunderle 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 8 04-16-2013 12:37 PM
DPF - Should I buy a DPF delete? alexmartin33 Super Duty & Heavy Duty 6 08-09-2011 03:44 PM
2008 f450 6.4 smoke out exhaust jeciii Super Duty & Heavy Duty 2 05-04-2009 03:48 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup