Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Bed Rug Mats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Bob Landry
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experience with Bed Rug Mats?

I went into my local truck place today looking for a bed mat for my new F250. I had every intention of ordering the Bed Rug mat and tailgate cover. Then the sales person started telling me how stuff was going to slide around on the Bed Rug, which is contrary to what I've been reading about them, and told me I was better off with a rubber mat. The issue I have with that is that the rubber tailgate mat is going to have to be screwed to the tailgate and I would rather wait a while before drilling holes in a new truck. I'm just **** about that. I anguished for almost two years over a CB antenna mount for a Tundra. I have a Retrax cover ordered for it, so I really don't need the complete bed liner, just a mat for the floor of the bed. How about some real world advice from you guys?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only had a Bed Rug for about a month now in a new F150 with a Snug Top topper. I've put things in there and driven serveral hours on the freeway up to Laramie from CO without having them slide around. Things like a plastic Pelican case stayed put even though its smooth on the outside. I think things are staying put better than without the Bed Rug. You could add one of those expandable cargo bars if needed, I just cut the Bed Rug to allow the tie downs to poke through if needed.

I left the topper closed up for about a week after I got it...then I noticed that it obviously needed some time for off gassing. Now I've had the sliding windows open for about a week in the garage and it's getting better but I think I should have it outdoors with a breeze to help. But we just got a spring storm and a new foot of snow so I'm gonna put a fan in the back this week and see if it gets better...I plan on sleeping in there sometimes.

The Bed Rug does help provide some padding for my knees when I climb up in there.

I think it was worth it's price

Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Bob Landry
Junior User
I ignored the guy at the truck place after reading some more about it and ordered one. I love it. Everything seems to stay in place. I also made some dividers from 2X12s and painted them white. All of that with a Retrax cover has turned out to be a nice combination.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
I didn't know they offered one that is the same size as a mat. Mine covers the sides and is one piece going out onto the tailgate.

Nice job on the dividers

Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Bob Landry
Junior User
Bed rug makes both types. I looked at the one at the truck place that covers the sides and didn't care for the way it fit or the price. This is basically a tow vehicle and I don't carry a lot of heavy stuff in the bed that's going to slide around and bang up the bed, so I went with the mat. It was $100 and the tailgate cover was $50. If I remember correctly, the other type was close to $400.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Yes, I think my full coverage one was bit over $400...but I picked it because it matches the Snug Top topper that came with a carpeted liner.

I'm looking forward to sleeping in it after spending the day riding dirt bikes in the mountains...once I get the off gassing completed.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Landry
I went into my local truck place today looking for a bed mat for my new F250. I had every intention of ordering the Bed Rug mat and tailgate cover. Then the sales person started telling me how stuff was going to slide around on the Bed Rug, which is contrary to what I've been reading about them, and told me I was better off with a rubber mat. The issue I have with that is that the rubber tailgate mat is going to have to be screwed to the tailgate and I would rather wait a while before drilling holes in a new truck. I'm just **** about that. I anguished for almost two years over a CB antenna mount for a Tundra. I have a Retrax cover ordered for it, so I really don't need the complete bed liner, just a mat for the floor of the bed. How about some real world advice from you guys?
I have had my bedrug for 7 years...haul everything from steel, wood, concrete & groceries....no sliding, does not show any signs of wear, cleans up easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!