Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Need help

Anyone got a spare alternator I can borrow while I source a new one from the States.
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Senior User

wallsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wish I had a spare I could give you mate, but I don't unfortunately. Sorry.
99 F350 SD XLT LB 7.3L, 16 x 10 Eagle Alloys, 35" Dick Cepek Tyres, 4" Lift, Dual Front Tower Shocks, Dual Front Steering Damper, Intank Filter Mod, 4" Dual Exhaust, CCV, AIH, FRX, HPX, Banks Ram Air Intake, OCR, EBPV Delete, AFE Blade Runner Manifold, CAC Boots, Plenum Reo Inserts, Garrett Intake, Garrett 38R, Garrett Hiflow Outlet, Banks, Intercooler, Towmaster Transcooler,BD Trans Sump, JWVB, DP F6 Chip.
Truck Still Under Construction, and by the look of things, it always will be!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Senior User

aussie_f350 has a good reputation on FTE.aussie_f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
yeah mate, pm me your address i get it out tomoro, bit different than a stock one tho???
Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ck-thread.html
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Brian, is it worth getting the local auto-electrician to see if he can squeeze some more life out of it while you're waiting for a replacement to arrive from the US?

Otherwise, on the battery charger every night and avoid night time driving till the new one restores normality.
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSimon View Post
Brian, is it worth getting the local auto-electrician to see if he can squeeze some more life out of it while you're waiting for a replacement to arrive from the US?

Otherwise, on the battery charger every night and avoid night time driving till the new one restores normality.
Nah. had mine checked and its fried. Run it for 30 seconds on its to hot to touch. $449 for a new one. What a wanka. Just couldnt wait so i found one on ebay (200amp) for 170 USD + 45USD for shipping. Thanks for the offers boys. Good to see FTE to the rescue.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
On the alternator front,
Is it hot after sitting for a while as well? (usually a shorted diode)
Have you done an output test? (it is usually the regulator that dies, not the alternator)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Posting Guru

took it to a sparkie and he tested it. Not worth getting it fixed here cause for less I can get a 200amp. I run a third battery in the rear for camping so the extra GG's will help.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
Yeah, that's usually the way. Are you getting the Ambo unit, or an aftermarket one?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Posting Guru

this one
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Post Fiend

Looks like a replica of the ambo alternator, very good unit, and has an external regulator so if it fails, rebuilding it is much cheaper. When I worked at FoMoCo, the parts price for a genuine unit was $6k...
Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Nice one Brian - flea-bay to the rescue!
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigF350 View Post
When I worked at FoMoCo, the parts price for a genuine unit was $6k...
U have to be kidding ???
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 AM
Posting Guru

That must be $6k with engine attached, maybe?

It'd be cheaper to fly to the US, buy one at AutoCo, and fly back - 1st class!

Not exactly going to attract any 'word of mouth' customers is it!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior User

Diesel Submariner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
$$$Alt

G'day Fellas,

I ran into a bloke with a F-Truck in Strathalbyn SA a couple of years ago on his full time on the road haulin' a 5th Wheeler.

He was down in the mouth and in shock recovery from paying $4.5K for an alternator through a Ford Stealership somewhere in NSW .

Poor bugger.

I was at Rapid Bay in SA a couple of weeks ago and another bloke was doin' the same thing full time on the road with a 5th Wheeler and using Ford Stealerships around the country to do his servicing and repairs at a shocking cost.
His missus was getting pissed with the expense and this is where these trucks get a bad rep as too bloody expensive when operated by the poor buggers with no mechanical background or aptitude and only go to Dealerships.

Gotta feel sorry for the poor buggers. But when you try to set them straight you may as well be talking left handed Swahili.

Cheers,
Reg
Aussie spec 2005 (US 2003) F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr Powerstroke: PHP FU2 6 Posín Chip,6 x ISSPRO Guages, AIS Intake, Zoodad, Hutch'd ní Harpoon'd. Cowl Hood, AIH Delete, CCV, RiffRaff FRx,HPx,OCR, JWVB. ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler + Stock Tranny cooler, ARB Bull Bar. Long Range Fuel Tank,VMS in Dash GPS Nav.OME Suspension & Dual Tower Shocks, MOOG Ball Joints. GVWR (GVM) Upgrade to 5,000Kg (F350+).
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder View Post
U have to be kidding ???
I wish I was.
Back in 2004 a set of injectors for the 7.3 also cost ~32k IIRC (yes, you could actually buy a full engine with turbo through the parts system cheaper)

I was able to get the cost down on the injectors, but not the alternator.

If you ever have to get parts for your 7.3 from a dealer here (either because its a specific item to Brazilian built units, or because you are in a rush), make sure they contact Ford Australia to clarify/contest the price and rattle the chain, low volume parts can often be priced excessively high by the dealer and by Ford, and despite what you may think/be told, there IS wiggle room, and sometimes quite a lot. (I think the injectors we got down to about 8k for a set, not great - but could you imagine being hit with a 32k bill on parts alone for replacing injectors!)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter