Sponsored by: Moser

np 203 t-case opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
np 203 t-case opinion

Can someone give me their opinion on my video I posted on photobucket. Is there too much slack in chain when turning driveshaft when t-case is in the locked position in video? Any thoughts? I know ditch the 203 for the 205 but thats not in buget for now.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There's some definite chain slop there, but not enough to warrant tearing the case apart just yet, particularly if a 205 is in your future anyway.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
I've been getting some pretty loud clicking noises and an occasional really loud clunk when in 4 wheel

Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob Cuenin
I've been getting some pretty loud clicking noises and an occasional really loud clunk when in 4 wheel
I think I'd pull the front differential cover IF I were you. That is a lot of slop. Either way, there is way too much slop in both your front differential and 203 Tcase anyway. If you tighten the Tcase, you still have the front differential slop, and vise versa. Once the Tcase chain starts slipping, it only gets worse.

An easy test for a slipping chain. Put it in 4 wheel HI, pull agaist a curb with a foot lightly on the brake pedal in case your truck tries to jump the curb, and accelerate the engine. If the chain is bad, it should slip a little and make the same "clunking" noise you describe.

JMHO from listening to two of your videos on the internet.

PS: if you are on a budget, and your bearings are OK, you can get by with shimming your ring and pinion gear back into specs. Not recomended, but you do what ya gatta do when funds are tight, and it will be a lot better than it is now.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
Sorry I should have said something about the front hubs(they where not locked in) This t-case has the part time conversion kit installed with manual lock out hubs in the front(hubs where in free no lock). I've destroyed the d44 front ring & pinion already on this truck some time ago,but it has a fresh ring & pinion with master install kit just recently installed its like new.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Sorry I should have said something about the front hubs(they where not locked in) This t-case has the part time conversion kit installed with manual lock out hubs in the front(hubs where in free no lock). .
I kinda understand. The differential is tight and the slack is in the axles\hubs and the 203. If you had the "Full Conversion" there would be a sun gear assembly installed in the tcase. If not, you just have part time hubs. Was the 203 converted to part time? I installed a couple of those 203 part time kits in the early eighties. They were not built for heavy duty use. The planetary gear set is probably shot in yours. Bad Tcase it is. The 203 Tcase is not worth rebuilding for the fun you want to do with your beast. The 203 is lubricated by the chain I believe, some say that is why the 203 fails when converted, that part time 4 wheeling does not lube them enough, yet running them full time before conversion wears them out.......etc, etc. Ford vs cheby... I dont know. I like the 205. One can mount em back to back for rock crawling....I'm told.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
There is no slack in axles/hubs(all new).The 203 was converted to part time by the previous owner about 10years ago along with and new chain with rebuild. The chain has been replaced again since then about 5 years or so. I think the chain needs to be done again.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Riderman
Elder User
There is no slack in axles/hubs(all new).The 203 was converted to part time by the previous owner about 10years ago along with and new chain with rebuild. The chain has been replaced again since then about 5 years or so. I think the chain needs to be done again.
Well, this is awkward. I gave advice that could be wrong partly based on the information given. I will say this, hubs locked in or out, with my driveshaft removed, I only have about 1/4 the play in my front driveline as yours, with same drive shaft removed, I have half the play in my 205 Tcase front output yolk. Both measured from my truck in a parked position. I just measured it. I apologize for any confusion. I was only trying to help.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
No sweat its all good. I didn't fully give all the detailes on my truck. I'm just hoping that its not too big of a project to put another chain in this case. I'll be looking for more info on how to replace chain ,not finding very much. anyone got some tips? I did hear something about the 100 or so roller bearings that are in there. I found three roller bearings stuck to the magnet in the case when I changed the fluid last time. I believe its time for a new chain ,hopfully the gears the chain rides on arn't too messed up and worn out. This will be the third chain replaced in this case that I know of

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
I see that milemarker has the 501 conversion kit but I don't think that comes with the shaft (complete kit). Anyone know which # that kit is ??

Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
Thanks for the links,I'm in the space coast. I do own a good 205 t-case & another 203 for back ups some day, but don't want to do that right now. If I ever get my dana 60 front installed I'm going to install the 205 then,along with my 4"inch lift & 36" tires. Playing lotto(lol). I think I traced all the slop in the 203 case to the partime conversion kit. I opened it up and the chain looks real good.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Those part time conversions are junk, I would swap in factory parts and keep the NP203 if you like it.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Rob Cuenin
Senior User
I have the complete shaft upgrade conversion kit,I think. I pretty sure they stopped making the replcement shaft conversion, maybe cause they where junk, I'm going to run it till it breaks then 205 tcase with D60 front.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Your going to mount the NP 205 eventually anyways so start tracking down the mounts and shafts required so when you do break it with your your new found power and you know you will .. You will be ready .. The Dana 60 is going to be a money pit especially with crossover high steer and may take tine to finish at least in the interim you can test the unknown condition of your NP205 ..
Look for used TC mounts or new mounts/brackets can be found here
NP 205 Side Brackets
the rubber bushings can still be found here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/823985-78-f250-transfer-case-rubber-mount.html#post7169494
Thanks to NumberDummy

Quick Reply: np 203 t-case opinion