Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 stumbes and jerks under heavy acceleration.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
460 stumbes and jerks under heavy acceleration.

Posted this in the big block section, but got no responses, so here is to hoping you guys are able to help...

This concerns the pick-up in my sig. I had read a few threads with similar problems, but none of the OPs reported back if the problem was fixed! Grr.

The truck has occasionally been acting odd whilst driving down the road. Most of the time it has been running ok, but sometimes I cannot get my RPMs over 2k in4th or 5th gear. It will cruise at 2k RPMs for a while, then go back to normal with normal acceleration.

Then today, under acceleration, the truck would lose power, the CEL would flash OR stay on for a while, and stumble and jerk a bit. Took it to a shop for the code reader. Pulled 171, 172, and 181. Two mechanics from two different shops said to replace O2 sensor, which I did.

At the same time, I replaced the plugs, wires (yes, I did one plug and wire at a time, so no, I did not cross a wire somewhere), distributor cap and rotor, air filter, and crankcase air filter. The battery was completely unhooked during all of this. Then I let the truck idle for about 15 minutes after I hooked everything back up.

Now, the truck idles and revs fine, and under VERY light acceleration, I can get up to 70mph fine, but if I try more than a tiny bit of acceleration, it stumbles and jerks badly, and the CEL comes on. I checked for arcing at the distributor in the dark and that was good-to-go.

What do you guys think? I plan to replace the PCV valve tomorrow, but other than that I am pretty much at a loss.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Update: Truck barely got me to town today. It would cut out and die no matter if idling, revving, or accelerating. And it was extremely difficult to start again. Cut out the cat this morning, thinking it may have been clogged. There was no change.

Changed out the fuel filter. Man, you should have seen the black runout from the old filter. I suspect it was the factory filter, yikes!

Now the truck idles, albeit not smoothly. It idles fine for a few seconds, then starts to die out, then idles back up to normal. It drives better, but still quite poorly. I could get home, probably.... I think.

I think the gunk in the lines from the old filter just needs to get out of the system, right?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
merlynr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have low fuel pressure. If you have two gas tanks,switch to other tank. If that doesn't help then check the pressure at the fuel rail on the left side of engine when looking from the front. The valve looks like on on a tire. I don't know the proper pressure, but it should be over 30. Problem could be a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
I do have dual tanks, however I cannot use one of them. I will go get a fuel pressure gauge when I get done eating my lunch. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
afran
Freshman User
I would say it sounds like you may have a clogged injector(s) due to the amount of debris in the filter. It also wouldn't hurt to have the ignition control module checked at an auto parts store. Easy to do a free at most places.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Took it to a shop for the code reader. Pulled 171, 172, and 181. Two mechanics from two different shops said to replace O2 sensor, which I did.
What did the codes 171, 172 and 181 refer to?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nevermind, I figured it out. You're running lean, so yes look into fuel pressure first as others stated. I'm not familiar with that motor...where is your fuel pump?

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
what do you mean get to town? you live in scottsdale right?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Did you finish your lunch and get a fuel pressure reading?

I would also check the TPS output throwout the throttle throw. Make sure it goes from .0-.4ish up to 5.0ish volts smoothly.

And make sure the hose form the manifold to the MAP sensors is good as well.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
I am currently working in the oil fields of North Dakota. Parts and tools are hard to come by in these small towns. There is no fuel pressure gauge available at the NAPA here.

Fuel pumps are located in the tanks.

Yes, I have finished my lunch and am back to the truck. Thank goodness for cell phones with mobile hot spot for my lap top.

We put a tire pressure gauge on the fuel rail and am reading 26 pounds at idle. The pressure drops as it idles until it dies. Fuel pump or pickup, I am guessing.

Also, I replaced the tee coming out of the PCV valve, which is on order. I will upload a picture of it later. It was junked.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Does it act up on both tanks? If it doesn't your pumps and pickups are good. If it only acts up on one tank than you know where the problem is.

I would start with replacing the fuel filter on the frame.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Replaced the filter earlier. Thought I mentioned that.

Cant use the rear tank in the first place. But, tried to switch tanks and it did not run any differently.

NAPA closes in about 5 minutes, so I bought a fuel pump just in case. They will not be open tomorrow. If I can get it home, I can pull it in a garage which I can heat up a bit.

Does anyone know if I have to drop the front tank completely? It looks like I might be able to tilt it and get the pump out.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 PM
afran
Freshman User
Pretty sure you have to drop the tank.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Going to TRY to get home now. It is about 13 miles or so. yay...

Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Heck, didn't even get two blocks. I am in the parking lot for the county courthouse, haha. My only possible ride I can call is not answering the phone either.. joy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 460 stumbes and jerks under heavy acceleration.