General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

School Project Survey - DIY Automotive Garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM
floridafishhunt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School Project Survey - DIY Automotive Garage

All,

I am requesting anyone and everyone to fill out a survey for a school project I am working on for business school.

http://www.survey monkey.com/s/R8FWR7Q without the space between survey and monkey.

I am studying the feasibility of opening a Do-It-Yourself Automotive Garage in which customers would rent space, lifts, and tools provided by the garage. The survey is written to try and understand the following questions.

1. Under what situations would people use a DIY Garage.
2. What stops DIY'ers from doing more complicated repairs/mods. (Tools, space, know how)
3. What motivates people to work on their own vehicles.

Thank you in advance for all of your help and thoughts on concerns over the idea.

Best,
Tom

Edit: Having a really hard time with the link. For whatever reason, whenever I post the link it xxxx out survey monkey. The actual link is survey monkey.com/s/R8FWR7Q without the space after survey.

Last edited by floridafishhunt; 03-02-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Update Link
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
The provided link is dead----might wanna check that out!

I'll take the survey but will say this concept has been tried a few times in the past, some nationally and some just in local areas. The idea was to rent space and some tools but largely it was typically centered around selling hard parts at somewhat higher than usual street prices. Not being a Negative Ned but I don't know any of those start-ups lasted too long.

Liability insurance along with too many renters bringing their own parts seems to have been the downfall to such operations. As a former shop owner I could NOT envision the nightmare logistics of letting Joe Public loose with lifts, impact tools and about a million other lethal-in-the-wrong-hands tools! Heck I'm scared just thinking of that disaster, how it would play out on the evening news!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM
floridafishhunt
Freshman User
Thanks for the response. There are definitely some concerns over liability and safety but we believe these could be overcome. Nonetheless, it is a fun project whether we not we find if it seems feasible economically.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:38 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
There's something in your link that's causing the Site language filters to block part of it. That's why it's not showing up correctly. It's strange how it works but for some reason it picks up on the weirdest things and blocks them.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Tinstar36
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No link?
Most people that want to work on there on car want to do it in the comfort of home
Now days the avange joes would be stealing tools to sell more then work with them

Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
floridafishhunt
Freshman User
Thanks Powerstroke

Old 03-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Tinstar36
Senior User
Tell us what the spacers are like a ? Between the letters and the computer won't block it maybe

Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I wish I could tell you but I have no idea what triggered the filters and without being able to see the original link, I don't know.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking outside at the snow, slush, mud, and wet is making me wish there was a "self-service" garage around I could use to get stuff done... A dry surface, that's all I ask for...

Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Tinstar36
Senior User
Tarp and coveralls

Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I didn't click the link but I'll add this as for some consideration:

Most military bases have a DIY or auto hobby shop on premise. These facilities do work and are a great resource for those who don't abuse it's privilege.

They rent by based on the need, ie, hourly for oil change, daily for more involved worked, weekly, etc.

Mandating customers to purchase parts and supplies from your shop is a major head ache. Not worth the hassle. Adjust your rental fees to cover your costs and or have a deal with a local parts store so you don't have to warehouse anything.

If you had a full time ASE certified mechanic on duty at all times to be available for assistance and to keep a project moving, you would be better off. However, there has to be a line in the sand between assistance and actually performing the work. Your employee needs to know when to step away.

You must have the ability to take possession of an abandoned vehicle much like a recovery / tow company would and you must be able to deal with non payment.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 AM
floridafishhunt
Freshman User
Thanks Tim.

I got the initial idea from using the hobby shop on Camp Pendleton when I was stationed out there. We definitely plan to have a mechanic on duty and plan to offer three options:

1. You do the repair yourself.
2. A mechanic gives you assistance (15min/hour).
3. A mechanic does the job for you.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You must have the ability to take possession of an abandoned vehicle much
like a recovery / tow company would and you must be able to deal with non
payment.
That could be similar to the title loan concept except you are loaning space instead of money.

Anyway, good luck with your project. Sometimes you don't need all the answers to go to the next step. And if you have all the answers then you are probably not asking enough questions or the right questions. Press on and share some of your findings with us if you can.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Tinstar36
Senior User
i took your survey

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Not trying to discourage you in any way FF&H but the military model you cite wouldn't translate to the civilian, for-profit business world very well. Again the topic of liability would be a paramount concern. I'm not sure how you'd really overcome it or even greatly minimize it---too many moving parts.

First you'd have an unknown experience level with those using your facility---are they really qualified to take on the repairs or to handle the equipment at their disposal? If more than one stall is in use at a time what are the real possibilities of another using causing harm or injury---whose responsible and liable then? (Clue----YOU! )

Non-payment could be a non-issue by some methods of pre-authorized credit/debit card transaction, the final amount TBD at completetion or end of day.

What mechanism would be in place should a repair not be completed during open hours? More liability due the extended stay which would typically place more liability on the rental shop owner for its safe keeping.

The thought having signed releases of responsibility and posted warning signs the owner isn't responsible for most things carries almost no weight in a court when/if personal injury occurs. Most any attorney can better enlighten us on this though. Having been there, done that on what is or is not "left in my safe keeping..........." and lost a bit of money this is a big concern to this sort of idea.

I say good luck too----could be just the guy to make this oft-tried idea really work to everyone's benefit!

Quick Reply: School Project Survey - DIY Automotive Garage