A4LD tanny is DEAD....NEED HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 12:01 PM
VWandSTUDEBAKER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A4LD tanny is DEAD....NEED HELP !!!

My daughters has 1987 Bronco II with 2.9V6 engine and A4LD automatic transmission (I think). She was coming home and it suddenly quit moving. It was serviced not too long ago and is still full of fluid. Its still very clean and does not smell burnt. No matter what gear you shift into, the car does not move or even put a strain on the engine. Its as if the linkage came loose or something just died. Im not a transmission person, so Im not sure what to look for. If you have any suggestions, please email them to me at VWandSTUDEBAKER@rocketmail.com Im located in Gainesville Florida, so I may be looking for a transmission if needed. Thanks....David

Old 06-01-2003, 12:27 PM
gnfshn1218
Freshman User

Was the fluid burned before you had the service work done? If it was the tranny is probably toast . how long since it was serviced maybe something is unplugged from the tranny , Is the transfercase in gear ? If the tranny is toast don't let anybody tell you that all A4ld trannies for that year are the same because they are not I found out the hard way make sure without a doubt that you have the correct replacement , doing the job once is enough especially if your paying someone to do it . One of the major differances in the trannies used that year is the elec. connection on the tranny some are three prong and some are two prong they are not interchangeable yes they will bolt in but thats it.

Old 06-01-2003, 12:54 PM
VWandSTUDEBAKER
New User

I can not say what the fluid smelled like before it was changed. My daughter to it to the shop for something else and they said the tranny was leaking a little. I just had them put on a new pan gasket, filter, etc. They didnt say anything about the tranny fluid being nasty.

What could be unplugged from the tranny? I did look under the car and there are no lines off that I can see. I did see something plugged into the case above where the shifting linkage is. Those wires have been taped up before and looks like they are below one of the shifting rods and could be rubbing on it. Yet I didnt see any bare wires. I did wiggle the wires and plug with no change in shifting(or non shifting).

Im not sure what you mean when you ask if the transfer case is in gear. I know very little about transmissions(and I know less about automatic ones) . I did lay under the Bronco while my daughter shifted the gears and everything seems to be moving fine.

Is the two and three prong connection the one I was looking at? I did not pull it off to see which one it is.

Thanks,
David

Old 06-01-2003, 01:18 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had one do that and the sprag in the tranny broke. Had to have it rebuilt. It is 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Old 06-01-2003, 01:29 PM
VWandSTUDEBAKER
New User

Its a 2WD. When you say the sprag broke, did it just suddenly do it and not move? Its like the clutch is totally gone on a standard transmission. You put it in gear and can rev the engine with no results.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:11 PM
gnfshn1218
Freshman User

Yes that is the connection I was talking about. I guess I assumed that your Bronc is 4WD. the transfer case shift lever ( the short one) should be pushed all the way forward to the 2H position

Old 06-01-2003, 02:17 PM
gnfshn1218
Freshman User

Since your bronc is 2WD there is the posibillity that there is a problem in the transfer case . Yes it still has one even though it's only 2WD they are a run dry (no Lube) unit thats about all I know about them