1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

call of the "darkside"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 11:37 AM
redknight
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call of the "darkside"

As a 14 year owner/driver of a stock 54 f100, I am losing my internal struggle to remain stock and have finally convinced myself to update the drive train. (a broken fan blade @ 65 mph may have been the last straw)

New to this group, I now come to this revered board for advice:

Plan: Stock chasis w/ Small block FORD-automatic drive train, AC, w power assist steering. Not looking to build a street rod as much as a solid/quick everyday driver that I can buy parts for off the shelf.

Question: Is it better - cheaper - to find a good donor vehicle to rob the drive train and assorted other parts from. Or, given the need to go through the engine and tranny anyway, just start with a good engine and tranny rebuilder. Or at the end of the day, are you ahead the game to simply go the crate engine route. I only want to do this once.

Old 06-01-2003, 03:07 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
call of the "darkside"

As has been mentioned here many, many times it is often easier and cheaper in the long run to stay with the original. An engine swap is not a weekend project and there will always be some minor glitch to delay it even more.

Id suggest a 292 or 312 Y block built to however you want it. It is a drop-in swap. A 272 can safely be bored to a 292 and take advantage of the cheaper pistons.
If you have the 6 banger the swap to the Y Block is still very basic with everything already designed to fit.

I went the 239 to 292 route with my 54 F350. At one point I was seriously considering a 429/460.
In a F100 you have the added advantage of having many truck 9" rears being a bolt in also, giving you better road gears.

Last edited by 286merc; 06-01-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:12 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
call of the "darkside"

Carl is absolutely right. You have slim odds of actually saving money by the time it's completely done. If you decide to rod out your truck, then a donor is the way to fly. I didn't have one and I got twenty dollared to death before I was running. I wasn't even smart enough to buy a complete engine. That's a mistake too the way Ford changes stuff around frequently.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:06 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
call of the "darkside"

"A solid, quick everyday driver"... yeah, I think the majority of us started there, too.

Anyway, the 292/312's are good choices, but may not satisfy your desire to be able to buy parts off the shelf at the local auto parts store. May I suggest the ol' reliable 302. I've got one in my '59 and it's a trooper! With a handful of upgrades (GT-40 heads, CompCam/Lifter kit, manifold, carb, headers, 3.50 rear gears), I'm in the 350hp neighborhood.

Regarding the A/C: I got a Hot Rod Air unit for $800. The other option was the Vintage Air unit for $1200. I am not displeased with the Hot Rod Air unit, but the Vintage Air's dials and controls are a lot nicer and make the overall unit more flexible (fan speeds, options: floor, vent, mix, etc like a newer car's A/C). Kinda wish I had spent a little more and gotten the Vintage Air unit. Hindsight: 20/20....

Cost effectiveness: get a motor/tranny and have it gone thru professionally vs. building a crate motor? Depends if you can build the top end of a motor or the complete motor yourself or not. For ~ $1500-$2000 you can get a sure thing crate motor half built and just add the "bolt-on's", but then you're still in need of a tranny. Regarding the tranny: buying a used one at a salvage yard, you're still going to have it gone thru professionally. This could run $200-$400 depending on its condition once they crack it open. I don't know what a new automatic transmission (the C4, I assume you're talking about?) goes for, but likely in the $800-$1200 range.

For what you seem to be after, I'd spend the bucks and get a crate motor then find a used C4 and have it gone thru professionally. If you're considering an AOD tranny, like I have, it'll kill $1200 before all is said and done.

Don't know if this info actually answers any of your questions, but hopefully it sheds some light on some things to consider. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best of luck with your project,
Daryl

Old 06-02-2003, 07:04 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
call of the "darkside"

ANother thought would be to visit your local junk yard or insurance salvage yard and try to purchase a whole late model car or truck with the running gear intact. You're not going to use body parts anyway but some things such as consoles, bucket seats, wiring harness etc may be useful to you. And if you can find a low mileage wreck, you should get a reliable engine/trans combo, and who knows what else.

Either way, The fine folks here can help you with any problems. Between our more experienced members, they have done or tried about every combo switch you can imagine..

Good luck and post often to advise of your progress.

Steve

Old 06-02-2003, 09:18 AM
redknight
New User
call of the "darkside"

Thanks to all for your insight. As might be expected, and consistent with my struggle, the board is 50% split on original vs. update.

Found a 69 f-250 w/ 390, c6 and underdash ac unit that works.
I know its not a small block, but .....

Seems like I remember seeing a list of rear axles that are bolt in regarding dimension. Anyone know if 69 ford meets the criteria?

Status: Last night started pulling and labeling things under the hood.