Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looking at radio upgrade

Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at radio upgrade

Seen these on e-bay, just wondering if anyone has experience with these or any others. I like it for the back-up camera. My factory radio works ok except for the volume control has a mind of it's own.

Hitachi CD Head 2 DIN 7" Car GPS Nav DVD Radio Player Aux iPod Bluetooth Came

Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang it Bill...

I got enough items on the shopping list already!

Thats a nice package for sure.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It LOOKS like a nice deal. But honestly I would rather take my chances with the $299 Jensen that Walmart sells. At least then you have an easy recourse if it fails.
A decent double-din system with all those features will cost you at least $500...usually closer to $700 like the Pioneers, Sony, Kenwood etc. I have seen the real good ones go for $1200+.

My first thing would be to Google for reviews on the unit. That way if you do go with it, you at least know what to expect.
Check the specs to make sure that the power ratings are comparable.
I dont have the double din unit but my Pioneer puts out 45w/ channel. Fantastic sound without using an external amp.
Make sure it is rated close to your speakers. For best sound you want to be sure the output is what your speakers are rated for. Under driving or over driving will make your tunes sound like crap.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a XTRON unit I have in my dually. The mini USB is the only thing that has crapped out so far. I do like the I-GO8 gps. The gps antenna was junk so I found a Trimble on Ebay that works great.

Smokie

Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Yes it makes me leery of some of the stuff on e-bay, sure it looks attractive but you wonder how long it will really last.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM
pin8246
Elder User
Just saw this so heres my input. I do have one, not that exact one but same seller has a couple up there, or did when I bought mine. Should have all the same features mine has, GPS, rear camera, SD Slot, I Pod hook up, DVD, CD, Radio, and Blue Tooth.

The radio it self is not bad, very easy install with an adaptor kit from Best Buy. Pretty quick shipping from where its coming from. Ill lay it out like this.

Pros.
1. Price
2. Amount it comes with. GPS, Bluetooth, ect.
3. Sound better than stock, but I also had the volumn problem.
4. Looks better than stock.
5. Remote (I use it)
6. Touch Screen
7. Extra plugs in the back for other products.

Cons
1. It is one of the China made brands
2. Funtions may not work. (My issue at the bottom)
3. Customer service. (Hard to talk to them, especially being different languages).
4. Returns and warranty if needed.

My issues with mine were just minor, and after figuring out the return policy I opted to deal with it.

1. My clock does not keep time. What I mean by this is, If I start my truck the correct time will be on the screen, drive for 30 minutes and it never changes. But I turn the truck off and then back on it will have the correct time. Basically it doesnt change when your driving, but is right everytime you start it.

2. The screen saver I cant figure out how to change, and mine is a gay looking Minnie Mouse. So I just turned it off.

3. GPS works, but not the greatest. Im in a small town, a lot of roads with no names and such, so my GPS on my phone isnt even the best. The GPS is on a 2GB SD card.

Install was straight forward. Bought the kit from Best Buy so it was all plug and play and let it rip. Did not use the mounting kit I bought for it because I did not want the radio to come out with the dash. As for the cutting on the dash with this radio, it was a little more than what I thought reading other double din installs. Worse part was the dash piece thats in between the radio and AC controls (the horizontal piece of dash). That had to be cut off because this is a little bigger than the other double din installs on here. But either way, not bad or hard.

I bought this personally due to the price, and the fact that it has blue tooth. My Tablet is mounted in my truck, and all my music and such is on there. So the blue tooth was a must have to get my music through. So it works good except for a couple minor issues, and everything it offers works on mine.

Now personal opionion.

Great deal, nice bundle pack, looks good, but if I had to do it all over again I would not. If I had to do this over again, I would have thought about exactly what I need, and bought a name brand here that the warranty would be easier to deal with.

Me Personally
Name brand
Rear View Camera
Blue Tooth
Double Din
CD/DVD
is what I would do.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If you do buy this radio, post back and let us know how you like it. Price is good, looks good, just not easy to return and deal with if not right.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
I agree with pin 8246..

While at first glance the name Hitachi makes this seem more legit, but one thing you'll find off the bat is that it is hard to google the model of the unit because it doesn't seem to have one.

I found what appears to be the same unit on alibaba (a direct from china site for resellers):
Rear Camera GPS Navigation 3D PIP Map 7" In Dash 2 Din Car DVD Player Bluetooth TV Radio Steering Wheel-in Vehicle GPS Units & Equipment from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

I'm in the same situation as you, my volume **** has a mind of it's own so I've been looking at upgrading it.

I looked at some of the chinese double-din's on ebay that run android... how cool would that be? Any android app you want right on the unit itself..

Ultimately though I think a name brand is a better idea.. I've seen enough chinese knock-off tablets and laptops to know they aren't the best quality..

I think I've decided on the Kenwood DDX470

It doesn't have built-in Nav, but after thinking about it, I think I'd rather keep that seperate.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like every thing I am looking for. But worried about return or warranty issues from this supplier. I did find a youtube on same or similar unit.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I have 2pioneer units . My wife's has the Bluetooth streaming an it works well. Neither of them have built in GPS but it can be added. My phone GPS work well so I never even use my garmin. They are good units at a good price and don't look cheap.

Check Crutchfield.com they have amazing customer service and free install kits.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. I think I will stay with a namebrand.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
While at first glance the name Hitachi makes this seem more legit, but one thing you'll find off the bat is that it is hard to google the model of the unit because it doesn't seem to have one.
You're gunna love this: Hitachi doesn't make car stereos - they defer that to Clarion. The headline says Hitachi, but the fine print fesses up to it being Ouku... an unknown.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
STROKED-OUT
Senior User
I would like to get a pioneer version of this they look very nice......and boy could i have used that back up camera yesterday.......just ask Aunt Marry haha

Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Originally Posted by STROKED-OUT
I would like to get a pioneer version of this they look very nice......and boy could i have used that back up camera yesterday.......just ask Aunt Marry haha
Yes I heard about your "accident".

Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
STROKED-OUT
Senior User
Haha yes embarrassing but at least it wasn't bad and can be fixed luckily i just bumped it.....sorry for the derail.