6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

rev x is best

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Might have a look at this thread:

Analyzing Oils and Additives for the 6.0L - TheDieselGarage.com

A look at different oils with Rev-x type stuff and ZDDP additives, since you are interested in Zinc
Thanks for that link Sean. Very informative post.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
PowerstrokeFD16
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates on rev x?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
amdriven2liv: I kept meaning to ask what oil you are running? It seems like I saw another post of yours somewhere you were running 5w 40 syn.

on edit: also how many miles do you now have?

I spent a few hours over on BITOG and they seem to be proponents of at least going to a 10w 30 HDEO for the 6.0s. Of course I have enough 15w 40 stockpiled for 3 more changes and just did an OC

Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM
DawnPatrol
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently used Rev-X on my last Rotella oil change and I dont know if its what I want to hear but I swear the engine sounds better

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
amdriven2liv: I kept meaning to ask what oil you are running? It seems like I saw another post of yours somewhere you were running 5w 40 syn.

on edit: also how many miles do you now have?

I spent a few hours over on BITOG and they seem to be proponents of at least going to a 10w 30 HDEO for the 6.0s. Of course I have enough 15w 40 stockpiled for 3 more changes and just did an OC
I am using Rotella T-6. I started using it when I moved. I had free oil changes from the place I had purchased the truck. They were using 15W-40, AND Prime Guard filters (this was a Ford Dealer).

Currently, I have just over 60,000.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my truck had 15W-40 in it it sounded extremely angry at startup. After switching to T6 and Rev-X it runs rough for about 10 seconds and then it's smooth, even below 0 degrees and not being plugged in.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 AM
livinlots26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DI've heard of a couple guys running 5-30 instead of 15-40... not sure if I like that idea but then again all my big rigs are older B model cats so I only know old school

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 AM
idahof350
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by livinlots26
So I finally got my last oil change/test done. My testing was on the three main oil additives that get the most hype. 1, hotshots secret 2, archoil and 3, rev x. So ill start with hotshots, now to my knowledge I don't have didn't have any stuck or failed injectors. I didn't really find hotshots made any difference what so ever in performance fuel economy or quieting the injectors, my test sent to the refinery didn't show much improvement in extended lubricity or extded life over my initial "no additive" test. So in my eyes although its easy ro buy at any tractor supply store I think its useless. Next I tried the archoil. I did notice a lot better cold starts (its been winter during this test) even over the hot shots which was done in the summer. The injectors seemed a bit smoother and test came back with much greater extended performance all over the board. That being said I did notice towards the last 1500 miles the injectors were getting a little louder. Fuel mileage was same as both hotshots and no additive. Finally the rev x. Although archoil uses a "nano borite" and rev x larger particle borite, I found after my first 2 runs an incridible difference in performance with crisp throttle response and much quiter injectors. My fuel mileage has increased by about .5 a mile and has a nice smooth idle. All my tests should be fairly consistant I fuel at the same station every time I drive the same route everyday and nothing has been changed to the truck since I started. I have not sent in the rev x oil sample for this test is only 500 miles in. Its odd how the oil you put the least amount of in your engine seems to work best! Ill keep you posted when I send in the sample, but so far rev x is the winner for me
4 inch down pipe into 5 inch stacks... no cat, CFM large mouth intake elbow with larger pipe, S&B cold air intake, Edge juice with attitude CS with custom PHP tune. Atlas 80 ficm tune. Airdog2, TRP sump, 6.4 banjo bolts, Blue spring, Zoodad mod, Traction bars, counter sunk tool box molded around my stacks custom made by me, Coolant filter, ARP head studs, southbend duel friction clutch, complete EGR delete, DP mod, high idle mod, CCV relocation, 35 inch fierce attitude tires on 17" helo wheels
Your testing method is critically flawed. Your testing should start with a standard oil, monitored working environment, and a follow up oil analysis. Then run the first product, under the same conditions, again followed by an analysis. Then an additive free test cycle, same conditions, and analysis to ensure the additive has no lasting effects, run additional non-additive cycles as required to return to the original values before testing new products. Repeat the additive and non-additive cycles until you exhaust the different products to test.

Your test is the same as saying, I put a Powermax turbo on my truck, it didn't change anything and ran exactly the same as stock so I just left it on there. Then I added FICM and ECU towing tunes, and it works way better than the same tune on my buddy's truck, but now there's a new tow tune for the ECU from another place that everybody raves about, so I'm going to run that. Then you proclaim that indeed the new towing tune everyone raves about is best tune ever, but neglect to account for the stuff you left behind in previous tests.

I'll freely admit that Rev-X works, much the same for Archoil, but the way you tested begs the question: So how much if a discount did Rev-X give you to post this?