EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Who is doing their own oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Who is doing their own oil changes?

Out of curiosity, who's doing their own oil changes,

Which oil are you using, brand and weight and why

Do you have a fumoto valve

and dump frequency.

Thanks yo all who post here. There could be some lessons learned and some good info sharing.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I dont own eco-boost yet, but I change my own because #1 I ddont know whats in their bulk tanks and#2, I like to crawl under and see for my self if any thing is going on underside that I should know about. i use 5-20 on 09 focus and 5-30 on o6 5.4 fx4, all motorcraft 2x year for both. When I buy parts at store, I know what I am getting. ps I drove an eco-boost and wii have one sooner or later, just incredible!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm at 1K miles and thinking about doing the 1st change (yes I know some think this is wasteful). I did get the fumoto already from amazon because I hear the skid plate is a PITA to work around I'll install it this first upcoming change. Thinking about taking some pics when I make a giant mess...I mean change it for the first time, because I havent seen a photo walkthrough yet on this site. I was thinking about going with the blended syn because I heard going full syn right off isnt always the best idea - can't back that up with anything other than what I've heard sharing beers, so dont take that as a rule. Looking forward to hearing more in this thread.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Fumoto Valve is ordered!! I had the first oil change done by the dealer at 1400 miles. I know it seems alittle early but i had a camping trip planned for the next week and wanted fresh oil in her before her first TOW! I plan on doing the rest of the oil changes myself. I have read that the oil filter is a bitch to get to but i will figure it out!!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM
vans
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my first last weekend, 1400 miles, I used a Napa filter and 6 qts of 5-30 Motorcraft oil.

I have to admit it took me a bit longer to do than my other vehicles

I drove truck up ramps, pulled all covers off including skid plate, mainly to see how I wanted to approach.

Pretty simple,
biggest problem was the drain plug is just far enough away that when I removed filter, the rear outlet of catch pan below filter was about an inch wider than drain pan. I dumped a ittle oil on my floor

From what I see you can drain filter oil through rectangular hole in skid plate

I wish I could hook up a hose to that pan outlet as it dripped oil for a long time.

My skid plate does not have the removable plugs, not sure why

I think the engineers who designed this should be doing our oil changes

Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM
boomersf150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Fumoto Valve is ordered!! I had the first oil change done by the dealer at 1400 miles. I know it seems alittle early but i had a camping trip planned for the next week and wanted fresh oil in her before her first TOW! I plan on doing the rest of the oilchanges myself. I have read that the oil filter is a bitch to get to but i will figure it out!!
I've never heard of a fumoto valve, what is it?

Mike
2011 F150 SCREW EB 3.55 L/S 5.5'
XLT Lariat 20" Machined AluminumWheels
Tuxedo Black/Adobe
Lthr Capt Chairs/Sony Sound
Rear View Camera/Tailgate Step
Line-X Bedliner
Peragon Truck Bed Cover
(Just sold 86 F-250 Diesel 4X4 XLT Lariat)<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->

Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
The fumoto valve is a ball-valve that replaces the drain plug on the oil pan. I just installed mine tonight. I got it primarily because you can attach a length of tubing to it and it makes it a little cleaner. But its also nice not smashing knuckles getting the drain plug loose.

In other news, changed my oil for the first time today. Didnt think it was so bad, but I had really low expectations given the postings here about it. I was going to take pics but it was getting dark and the pics werent coming out. Maybe I'll create a photo walkthrough next time, but I think itll be a while.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by ThirdsACharm
The fumoto valve is a ball-valve that replaces the drain plug on the oil pan. I just installed mine tonight. I got it primarily because you can attach a length of tubing to it and it makes it a little cleaner. But its also nice not smashing knuckles getting the drain plug loose.

In other news, changed my oil for the first time today. Didnt think it was so bad, but I had really low expectations given the postings here about it. I was going to take pics but it was getting dark and the pics werent coming out. Maybe I'll create a photo walkthrough next time, but I think itll be a while.
How was changing the oil filter?? From what others have said it is a bitch to get at???

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by boomersf150
I've never heard of a fumoto valve, what is it?

Mike
2011 F150 SCREW EB 3.55 L/S 5.5'
XLT Lariat 20" Machined AluminumWheels
Tuxedo Black/Adobe
Lthr Capt Chairs/Sony Sound
Rear View Camera/Tailgate Step
Line-X Bedliner
Peragon Truck Bed Cover
(Just sold 86 F-250 Diesel 4X4 XLT Lariat)<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->
This is what a Fumoto valve is

Old 11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
How was changing the oil filter?? From what others have said it is a bitch to get at???
You can see it from the open hood. But I couldnt really get near it from up top. There is the flap you have to unhitch with 4 plastic clip-like things. I was lucky because I was able to just lie under the truck and unscrew it by hand. If it was really on there, I imagine it would be a chore. But I didnt think it was all that bad.

As for draining from the filter...I heard the warnings so I wasnt on ramps. All the oil from the filter exited the square hole in the skid plate. None of it went through that plastic tray with the spout under the filter - not sure how that happened.

This video may help...
Ecoboost Session 7: Oil Change. Oil Drain Plug and Filter Location (request by mmz77) - YouTube
Halfway through it shows the location of the drain plug (after removing the heat shield which is easy enough) and shows the filter location. No disrespect to the guy shooting the video but it was hard to follow from a frame-of-reference standpoint. The clips on the front flap are on the driver side, with the filter on the front of the engine like the pulleys.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

...wow...seems like a lot to get that oil filter off. Humm...it would be nice to see a 3.5L EB going through the oil change process.

biz

Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will pass on a fumoto valve. if it comes open you are screwed. i have never saw a drain plug fall out but if that valve doesnt have some kind of lock I wouldn't have it

Old 11-11-2011, 01:48 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
There is a lever on it with reasonable safety. You have to lift up (against a spring) and turn. i.e. it wont gradually open with vibration, etc. Having one, I dont feel like it something that would be opened unless you intended it to.

There is also an option for a safety clip, its like a spring-ring. I personally think its overkill.

Here's some reading if you're interested http://www.fumotousa.com/faq.htm

If its not for you, thats cool too - just passingon the info.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i change my own oil. It kinda sucks. I did initial dino oil change at 2000 miles, then regular dino 5w-30 every 3000k. At 11,000 miles, I upgraded to full syn schaeffers 5w-30. I have used schaefers products for a few years and am very happy with the o/a results on all the samples I sent in (indp lab). I plan on 10k life on the syn oil, changing the filter at 5k mark, changing oil and filter at 10k mark. Probly very premature, but I like to stay on the way safe side. My o/a shows I can extend my change interval to a minimum of 500 hours on my skidsteer (I still change the filter every 100 hours). When you pay more for a skidsteer that I did for my 2011 Lariat CC 4x4 EB truck, you would take very good care of it too.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: Who is doing their own oil changes?