1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Engine Compartment Fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No - "It's not rocket science". However IMO there is a major difference between "the cruise control switch" & the 'wet' switch that deactivates cruise control.

Hoped to make it clear that disconnecting "the cruise control switch" at steering column may not have the same effect as disconnecting the 'wet' deactivation switch by master cylinder.

Not sure what "If it's not connected, it has no brake fluid to short it out, weather it has power or not." is?

Originally Posted by 500dollar744ti
It shorts out when the switch leaks brake fluid on the circuit. If it's not connected, it has no brake fluid to short it out, weather it has power or not. That's why my mom's van never caught fire, the brake fluid was just leaking through the switch onto the ground while I had the pigtail ziptied off to the side where it won't touch anything.

It's not rocket science. If it's badly leaking and you disconnect it, then clean it off or disconnect it at the source.

The point of my disconnecting my mom's cruise switch is that if it ever starts leaking, which it did, the pigtail won't be connected to start a fire.
Note that the TI 'wet' deactivation switches, that are at the center of the Recalls, can apparently short, smoke & ignite fires - w/o ever leaking a drop of brake fluid externally "onto the ground".

The defect is described as a totally hidden internal leak, inside the deactivation switch itself, combined w/it being unfused & always hot.

If "brake fluid was just leaking through the switch onto the ground" it would be immediately obvious & a No Brainer to get it fixed

Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
500dollar744ti
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Not sure what "If it's not connected, it has no brake fluid to short it out, weather it has power or not." is?
I'm talking about the 'wet' switch as you call it, the one in the master cylinder. That's the one I disconnected, that's the one that shorts and causes a problem. If it's not connected, it can't short. The worst that will happen with it disconnected is brake fluid might seep out.

The worst that will happen with it connected is it could set your car on fire, burn your house down and possibly kill someone.

Note that the TI 'wet' deactivation switches, that are at the center of the Recalls, can apparently short, smoke & ignite fires - w/o ever leaking a drop of brake fluid externally "onto the ground".

The defect is described as a totally hidden internal leak, inside the deactivation switch itself, combined w/it being unfused & always hot.

If "brake fluid was just leaking through the switch onto the ground" it would be immediately obvious & a No Brainer to get it fixed
The switch is always hot IF it's plugged in. It IS fused but it's on a shared circuit and the short that causes the fire doesn't draw enough amperage to blow the fuse. I had a Ford that was shorting and blowing the fuse for the shared circuit. It did not catch fire, I replaced the switch and installed the recall parts and it was fine. In the recall, Ford has you install a pigtail with an inline mini-fuse that will blow before a short can start a fire.

All I was saying is that if you disconnect the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder, the one that deactivates the cruise control, it will no longer have a power source and therefore it can no longer short and catch fire.