1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE class is in session!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
I am in the same group. It will cost $50 more to get 13.3. I am happy with 13.1...

Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
I am in the same group. It will cost $50 more to get 13.3. I am happy with 13.1...
This is where AE sucks. They are dependent upon their customers input to fix and repair their software when its released and are bold enough to ask you to please send them feed back and files so they can improve it.. I know I have spent un-toll hours years ago on their releases. I actually fried a digital dash in a 2012 Focus and notified them the HVAC CAN System crashes the CAN and PCM. All covered under warranty for the customer.

I was shocked when I went to renew my multi-package subscription with them to obtain the latest software! And, get this my subscription ended on the VERY SAME DAY AS I REQUESTED IT ON THEIR SITE! Totally by accident. Nonetheless, they would not provide me the latest software. Their customer service was good in the beginning but has fallen into the dumps in the past few years.

The bottom line is their software and OBD-II Connector. OBD-II and CAN are all open source. It's basically a "for profit company" as all the work is done for them other than the users interface (Software).

If it makes any difference, I find their software to be "buggy" and not reliable by any stretch. the 11, and 12 series have many glitches and I have seen several unhappy with the latest releases. I just gave mine to a Boy in the shop to use and said good reddens. He hated it and gave it back!

By the time you purchase the core software, a Bundle or two, a notebook to run it...... you can get an Autel MaxiSYS for a couple hundred more and it does all Domestic, Asian, and European right out of the box and have a Scope and Graphing Meter!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Purchased AE summer 2014. Had not spent much time with it, version 12.11. was trying this August and was buggy with buzz test and some on board systems test. AE upgraded to Giotto 13.24. I have not found a save session option.

No security dongle. Now called a ProLine connector with ver 12.11 of 3/2014.

I was very late to class but I'm trying to catch up.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas White
...By the time you purchase the core software, a Bundle or two, a notebook to run it......
Here's the counterpoint to that: I never thought AE was for the repair professional... it's for the shade tree mechanic. Many of us already have laptops, netbooks, pads, and other portable devices, so that expense is behind us. Most people don't need more than one bundle, but I admit it would be nice for me to have the Toyota bundle - I just don't need it. Joe Mechanic's outlay is about $360 plus shipping. I have a carputer - for my travels. Email, AE, mapping/navigation, internet, ISSPRO gauge tuning, Hydra interface, and entertainment are part of the carputer "bundle". Not to disparage any system out there, but I doubt the Autel MaxiSYS would support the vehicle in this way - for equal money.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:15 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
So my reply was I am only able to upgrade to 3.11 (free) because I am in some 2001-2012 bracket or something.

To get 3.3 I'd have to pay more money. lol

https://www.autoenginuity.com/order-...m-updates.html

So thats not happening.
Same here. Not worth the money if you ask me.
By now he should have been able to figure out most of the 2000 to 2005 excursion models.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DND58
Purchased AE summer 2014. Had not spent much time with it, version 12.11. was trying this August and was buggy with buzz test and some on board systems test. AE upgraded to Giotto 13.24. I have not found a save session option.

No security dongle. Now called a ProLine connector with ver 12.11 of 3/2014.

I was very late to class but I'm trying to catch up.
So you are using the version w no dongle, ie stock obd2 commands and not any of the manufacturer specific ones? Seems like you could do that a LOT cheaper with other products.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I purchased 6/2014 version 12.11. It came with what AE calls a ProLine connector(laptop USB to OBDII). No separate USB security dongle.

AE recently upgraded me to Giotto version 13.24 using the same hardware.

I have the Ford enhanced bundle.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the maximum sampling rate when data logging, say 10-15 PIDs? The reason I ask is that I was speaking to Jody @ DP, and he said AE ( and TorquePro) logs are completely worthless, due to a very slow sample rate, and a "round robin" sensor polling method. He said he won't even look at them. Not surprisingly, he said the Infinity is much better, and can data log much faster. I believe he said it will poll the sensors about 60 times per second.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by carguy3j
What is the maximum sampling rate when data logging, say 10-15 PIDs? The reason I ask is that I was speaking to Jody @ DP, and he said AE ( and TorquePro) logs are completely worthless, due to a very slow sample rate, and a "round robin" sensor polling method. He said he won't even look at them. Not surprisingly, he said the Infinity is much better, and can data log much faster. I believe he said it will poll the sensors about 60 times per second.
From the datalog said I have, the AE sampling rate is about every .7 seconds when data logging 7-9 pid's. The infinity logs do sample at a faster rate but I really don't see that much of a difference when you graph them both. IMO.

They are both receiving the data in the same way then converting the voltages using a formula to be read as psi, F, Celcius, etc....

Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
From the datalog said I have, the AE sampling rate is about every .7 seconds when data logging 7-9 pid's. The infinity logs do sample at a faster rate but I really don't see that much of a difference when you graph them both. IMO.

They are both receiving the data in the same way then converting the voltages using a formula to be read as psi, F, Celcius, etc....
Yes, they are doing the same basic thing, but if one is doing it at a much slower "refresh" rate, then you will miss "things" that happen/change in between those samples. Also, if the Infinity (or any other scan tool) has the ability to sample/log at that higher rate, then that means the limitations are not in the PCM/vehicle, but in the AE software or hardware; so they aren't really doing the same thing, any more then a 12yr old little leaguer and a professional baseball player are both doing the "same" thing.

Like I said, the guy that does the tuning said he wouldn't even look at AE or Torque Pro logs; so that kills a lot of its usefulness, as far as using it to get semi-live (via datalogs) tuning.

I wonder what the sampling rate is on "real" scan tools, as a comparison?

Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I understand your point. But hear me out.....when we help others to diagnose engine problems, we use datalogs from torque pro, AE and the Infinity. We are able to help diagnose with all 3 tools effectively. Sometimes we slow down the data rate down on purpose using PID 3D (ExPACamper's software tool) because the higher data rates can occasionally make the graphs spike more.
Am I missing something here? Is a .5-.7 sec data rate that bad on what we are viewing?

Old 09-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The J1850 PWM protocol speed limit is 41Kbits/second. Think waaaay back to telephone modems - those were max 56Kbits/second... faster than our OBDII ports. A device or software can sample a PID all it wants, but it's just going to get the same answer as the last time until the port can provide a fresh poll. Anybody who has looked at Infinity data will see the same thing - each PID reading has the same data repeated 4 times. Say one samples 60 times per second, they will get 15 actual data updates per second with this method.

I don't have my Infinity data samples available right now, but I'll get a firm answer on how many fresh samples Infinity shows per second, then share it here.

While I will not cast stones at any of our tuning friends, I'll echo back what I'm catching here - so someone can set me straight if I have it wrong: "If you want me to look at what's going on in your truck via email, you must buy an expensive logger - preferably the one I sell."

One other point - I agree the data sampling with AE is like watching glaciers melt, but it got it done for me just fine - I solved many a woe with AE. Torque Pro has a very fast sampling rate, but I need to look at a log again to recall the write speed. Sampling and logging are not almost never at the same pace.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:12 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy3j
Yes, they are doing the same basic thing, but if one is doing it at a much slower "refresh" rate, then you will miss "things" that happen/change in between those samples. Also, if the Infinity (or any other scan tool) has the ability to sample/log at that higher rate, then that means the limitations are not in the PCM/vehicle, but in the AE software or hardware; so they aren't really doing the same thing, any more then a 12yr old little leaguer and a professional baseball player are both doing the "same" thing.

Like I said, the guy that does the tuning said he wouldn't even look at AE or Torque Pro logs; so that kills a lot of its usefulness, as far as using it to get semi-live (via datalogs) tuning.

I wonder what the sampling rate is on "real" scan tools, as a comparison?
"wouldn't even look at AE or Torque Pro logs...."

That sounds incredulous I can't imagine any serious programmer flat-out refusing to view any particular logs. I happen to know of a request by a programmer for either of those logs, just this past week

I run TP at .5 secs and do NOT enforce line-by-line sampling, which is a fairly high resolution, IMHO.

I have heard the wireless version is faster than bluetooth, and it would follow the SCT or something hardwired *could* be faster, technology-wise.

Infinity is supposed to be Uber-fast and awesome and all that, but it's also about 100 times the price of TorquePro.

That being said, I don't know Jody, but it doesn't sound reasonable to *require* a $1000 setup in order to effectively use his tunes

'Bleeding edge' tunes with $25k-$50k in the motors...then it would make sense to me.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 AM
damons
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, where are you?

Hi Kenny, where you located, Tugly said possibly close, could you help me with a scan?

Originally Posted by KH85
Perfect timing!! I will be using this for sure!!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:21 AM
ritalin4ever
New User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I understand that this thread is 9 years old but just thought that I would share that all the fantastic insight shared within this thread is still helping the next generation of owners for these truck (like me!)

So thank you all (with a special shout out to Tugly)!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by ritalin4ever:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AE class is in session!