Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE class is in session!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on beer four watching the Rangers & Penguins slap it out during the first round of the Stanley Cup......

Old 04-16-2015, 10:26 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very familiar with Hondata, and it's a great piece of software....but the song remains the same. You look on HD's forum site, and they have just as many people having problems getting it to work with their gear as AE & FTE. Granted, probably not as many bugs as AE, but I can pretty much bet there are some..... HD's followup is much better. My point is, all Software has issues, no matter who writes it, and it only stays popular when the company remains responsive to it's customers. We all drank the Kool-Aid and slapped our money down.....But to tell you the truth, I got screwed worse putting 4 new Tires on My 5th Wheel and watching 2 of them blow up within 200 miles. so taking a $300 hit on AE was a Cakewalk. I'll make it work....

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by coax9952
I'm very familiar with Hondata, and it's a great piece of software....but the song remains the same. You look on HD's forum site, and they have just as many people having problems getting it to work with their gear as AE & FTE. Granted, probably not as many bugs as AE, but I can pretty much bet there are some..... HD's followup is much better. My point is, all Software has issues, no matter who writes it, and it only stays popular when the company remains responsive to it's customers. We all drank the Kool-Aid and slapped our money down.....But to tell you the truth, I got screwed worse putting 4 new Tires on My 5th Wheel and watching 2 of them blow up within 200 miles. so taking a $300 hit on AE was a Cakewalk. I'll make it work....

$300? You got the cheap AE? Mine was around $500 with the ford bundle.

I didn't have a single problem with my HD S300 at all. I bought, I plugged in, I did what I needed to do. I can even take it in the house, make fuel and ignition and other adjustments, take it back outside and load the new stuff and away I go.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Nothing cheap about it, Riff Raff $360.00.Total Ford Enhanced......It worked right out of the Box too. Didn't notice the little bugs ( 1 graph was not printing correctly) until later. And the one ABS sensor not showing.... Torque Pro takes care of that. I can work around it. I've used it to work on the 5 ford products in my Clan and it's saved me my money back so far. Will I upgrade my Subscription???? Not without proper research...

Old 04-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...and it's saved me my money back so far....
There. Right there. Whatever product you choose, every successful connection with good data is worth $100 at the shop. It's all relative.

Does Hondata work on your 7.3L?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:50 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Negative, All the PIDs are geared to Hondas, I was almost tempted to try it ( me being bold and all) but knowing my luck, I'd get me and my truck sucked into a Wormhole......

And into some sort of weird Japanese alternate reality

Old 04-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tugly
There. Right there. Whatever product you choose, every successful connection with good data is worth $100 at the shop. It's all relative.

Does Hondata work on your 7.3L?
That is true and personally I absolutely have to be able to do stuff myself. It is why I bought AE and honestly even with all the bugs and quirks I am glad I can eventually do what I need to do.

Negative, All the PIDs are geared to Hondas, I was almost tempted to try it ( me being bold and all) but knowing my luck, I'd get me and my truck sucked into a Wormhole......

And into some sort of weird Japanese alternate reality

I don't know if a 7.3 can be any more reliable than it already is but if a guy could incorporate honda into it in any way it would thee most reliable 'thing' on the planet!

My DD is a honda civic wagon btw.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:38 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
No truer words were ever spoken...... If Honda EVER wanted to break into the Real Man's Truck market, They would partner up with IH/Navstar and design the DeeSill from HELL! 850 ftlbs. torque at idle and 45 MPG. I'd almost bet that AE & Hondata would work on it.
(God, I have to fire up Photoshop and Create a prototype!)

My better half will only drive her 2015 Civic....Go figure

Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 PM
va-sawyer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unlike most folks here, I'm not looking for AE to save me money, I'm expecting it to make me money. It will pull up the VIN for a 2003 Tahoe, show you the VIN and ask you to input the 8th digit, then ask for the 5th digit, etc. How is that for dumb programming? There is no reason for crap like that. If it can read the VIN, then it can break out whatever digits it needs, without further human translation. It is just a poor job of programming! And just for the record, I do know a bit about programming. I used to make a living writing a tax program for a local H&R Block office. I still program PIC microcontrollers on the side.
The part I don't understand is why they are breaking so much stuff on an older vehicle like the 7.3's. The code was written...... it worked well...... so why screw it up? I might understand not adding more features for an older vehicle, or not writing new code for older vehicles that weren't previously covered, but why disable previously good code?
Anyways, it is too bad for me. I finished reading all 44 pages (at that time) of this thread while waiting on my AE to get here. Was all excited to have better info on the 7.3's that some customers own, only to receive a product that has been crippled by an update. Then I find out which way the company is heading with the software.
TUGLY did such a fine job teaching how to get the most out of AE on the 7.3's. How to interpret the collected data. How to set up the graphing with custom limits and ranges. He just did an all around excellent job on this thread. Well done, Sir! Too bad the folks at AE don't seem to understand how their approach is hurting us and themselves in the end.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by va-sawyer
...I still program PIC microcontrollers on the side...
First, thank you for your kind words - the feedback (good or bad) is always welcome. 44 Pages, eh... this thing is getting unreadable. I joke. It passed unreadable long ago.

You mean PLCs? I am unfamiliar with PICs.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I agree, Tugly did an outstanding job in this thread informing us mere mortals the ins and outs of AE!

Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
PIC's are micro-controllers I work with them as well as the PLC's.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
PIC's are micro-controllers I work with them as well as the PLC's.

Are you referring to Power Line Carriers or some other kind of PLC? I work with power line carriers myself.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice I am talking about Programmable Logic Controllers. I work as a network admin for a steel company so PLC's and PIC's run all of our Slitters and Pack-lines.

Now back to your regularly scheduled AE Class

Old 04-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
Nice I am talking about Programmable Logic Controllers. I work as a network admin for a steel company so PLC's and PIC's run all of our Slitters and Pack-lines....
Pack lines, eh? My company packs fruit (bruising is a huge concern), and we use PLCs, touch screens, computers, and VFDs - but this is the first I heard of PICs.

Quick Reply: AE class is in session!