1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for set of OEM wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 AM
FP
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for set of OEM wheels

I'm looking for a set of 16" wheels for my 54 F100. If anyone has a set that wants to unload, or know of a set, please let me know.

They don't have to be pretty, just straight.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Otis 54
New User
I do not have the wheels you are looking for, however, I am currently restoring a '54 F-100 in the exact same color as yours. I believe the color is called Glacier Blue?? Mine is the standard cab 6 cylinder model. The paint on your truck looks great. Looks like you have done a great job. Is there a particular paint code for the original color? Also, the off white color for the grill, is there a paint code for that? I really want to keep the original color. My cab still has all of the assembly line markings on the firewall.

Thanks, Otis '54

Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 AM
FP
Elder User
It is Glacier Blue. I'll send you the paint codes. Good luck with the restoration. Does your truck have the 16" wheels?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis 54
I do not have the wheels you are looking for, however, I am currently restoring a '54 F-100 in the exact same color as yours. I believe the color is called Glacier Blue?? Mine is the standard cab 6 cylinder model. The paint on your truck looks great. Looks like you have done a great job. Is there a particular paint code for the original color? Also, the off white color for the grill, is there a paint code for that? I really want to keep the original color. My cab still has all of the assembly line markings on the firewall.

Thanks, Otis '54
The grille color is called Sungate Ivory. It is more of a cream color than a white.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I think, (if I remember correctly) the 52 grills were also originally Sungate Ivory. of course most of the original ones I've seen with 60 years of faded paint they didn't look quite so bright. when I had my 52 F-6 grill painted I ended up going with a lighter creme (white) color hopefully it will look good.

Anyway on to your wheels search, how wide of wheel are you looking for 4" 4.5" etc

I've got a few 16" wheels but need too pull out a set that I'll be using on the 51

I'm in SLC Utah ever get this way? shipping gets expensive. where is Crystal Lake?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Those wheels are getting HTF I sent you a PM

Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Anyway on to your wheels search, how wide of wheel are you looking for 4" 4.5" etc

I've got a few 16" wheels but need too pull out a set that I'll be using on the 51

I'm in SLC Utah ever get this way? shipping gets expensive. where is Crystal Lake?
Chrystal Lake, Illinois.Whatever the width was on the originals, which I believe is ~4" - 4.5", but even 5" would work. Let me know if you have them.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Those wheels are getting HTF I sent you a PM
Replied to your PM.

Thanks,

Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by Otis 54
Is there a particular paint code for the original color? Also, the off white color for the grill, is there a paint code for that? I really want to keep the original color. My cab still has all of the assembly line markings on the firewall.

Thanks, Otis '54
Here's a link with the codes.

1954 Color Codes - Ford Paint Cross-Reference

You can order paint from this site as well.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho.../buypaint.aspx

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I need an email to send you the pics of the wheels

Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
I need an email to send you the pics of the wheels
Just PM'd you my email address.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by FP
Here's a link with the codes.

1954 Color Codes - Ford Paint Cross-Reference
That is a neat link. I have never seen that one before. Thanks for posting. However it doesn't show Sungate Ivory, I guess since it is an accent color.

When I clicked on Meadow Green, they showed some samples of trucks painted that color and mine showed up as the first example! Neat.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by abe
That is a neat link. I have never seen that one before. Thanks for posting. However it doesn't show Sungate Ivory, I guess since it is an accent color.

When I clicked on Meadow Green, they showed some samples of trucks painted that color and mine showed up as the first example! Neat.
Yes I know. I think you're right. I don't think they post trim colors. But you can probably guess at that one, or take it to a paint distributor, and have them computer match it.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
FP, I don't mean to be devil's advocate here, but I guess I am. When I first got my 49, it had 15 inch rims on it with "outie" ***** that were for later model years. I looked and looked and finally found a fourth OEM 16 inch rim with that narrow bead. I did the swap and put radials on them. But understand one thing--those rims have a very narrow bead width, and they have no safety bead. So if you have one go down, you are gonna take a ride potentially. The 15 inch tires will ride better than the very skinny 16 inch tires that you'll have to get to accomodate the 16 inch rims. Yep, I'm glad I have original rims (and the right hubcaps), but I don't have to fight big highways and rush hour traffic either. If I do any long distance traveling, I'll probably slap the 15 inch wheels/tires back on it. Just my opinion. If you want original, get the 16's. But if it's not broke, don't fix it........

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by Doc
FP, I don't mean to be devil's advocate here, but I guess I am. When I first got my 49, it had 15 inch rims on it with "outie" ***** that were for later model years. I looked and looked and finally found a fourth OEM 16 inch rim with that narrow bead. I did the swap and put radials on them. But understand one thing--those rims have a very narrow bead width, and they have no safety bead. So if you have one go down, you are gonna take a ride potentially. The 15 inch tires will ride better than the very skinny 16 inch tires that you'll have to get to accomodate the 16 inch rims. Yep, I'm glad I have original rims (and the right hubcaps), but I don't have to fight big highways and rush hour traffic either. If I do any long distance traveling, I'll probably slap the 15 inch wheels/tires back on it. Just my opinion. If you want original, get the 16's. But if it's not broke, don't fix it........
Thanks Doc. Your advice is appreciated. I'm still learning about these trucks. Can I put radials on the 16s?

Quick Reply: Looking for set of OEM wheels