The X...Bucking Like A Bronco!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The X...Bucking Like A Bronco!!

Good evening all,

The X has run great after I replaced the HPOP Reservoir that I buggered up, changed the oil over to T6 and changed the filter. Noticed last night on the way home from local town, 10 minute drive, that there was the hesitation again. It starts out just under the surface....You are aware that something is not quite right.....then the hesitation. Seems to start when I am decelerating....because I think something is wrong. Then a couple of seconds later, it jerks....very noticeable due to 4X4 High being on. Continues a couple of more times (Hence the Bucking Bronco comparison) .....then it smooths out, no CEL. Made it home, parked, plugged her in.

Went to run into town to grab some ice cream tonight....grabbed the Actron Auto Scanner Plus and took off. 30 seconds into the drive, after vehicle warmed up for 15 mins...so heat is good, it hesitates and throws a CEL. My previous CEL was for the 0198 Oil Temp High issue. That has cleared and not come back. I would have expected a 0603 due to the Bully Dog programer, but instead I have a p1000. From what I gather in my searching, this will possibly clear after some drive time. But why would a P1000 throw a CEL?? That is the only code I get. Will the Dealer be able to pull more info due to their better scan tool? I automatically think that the CPS is showing me it's azz. Thoughts?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what part of ind. you in. i have an a/e that would pull all your codes if your close to me.i hate to see anyone go to the stealership.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Hoosier can you give us some more info on your X's miles, mods since you don't have a sig. And what part of NW Indiana are ? And what CPS are you running and how old is it ?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by tappit01
what part of ind. you in. i have an a/e that would pull all your codes if your close to me.i hate to see anyone go to the stealership.
Unfortunately, I am in Monterey/Culver area.......Cinci is a way...was just in Piqua/Troy area a couple of weeks ago....Could have swung down then!

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Hoosier can you give us some more info on your X's miles, mods since you don't have a sig. And what part of NW Indiana are ? And what CPS are you running and how old is it ?

The X is a 2001 Limited, 219,xxx on odometer. PO had the engine replaced, at dealership, at 40K due to excessive smoke on start up. Diagnosed with a bad ring. Had the Trans replaced, at dealership, at 99K. Has a custom intake pipe, all 4 inch pipe with a K&N on it. Bully Dog Power Pup programer and I re-loaded the 70 HP tune. Now running Rotella T-6 with a new HPOP Reservoir. That is what I know on the upgrades. Have had it for a month or so. PO just had the EBPS replaced. I am unsure of the CPS. I always assume it has not been changed....could be wrong.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Well with that as the background of your X. I would say start with going back to stock tunes and if that doesn't help I would say it can't hurt to try replacing the cps. Now try to stay away from the junk ones that the local parts store sell. The best ones are the black IH cps but noone has them or are hard to find. Clay has the OEM ones Riffraff Diesel: Motorcraft CPS 94.5-03 or local dealer. Besides on these trucks you should always have a back up cps in the glovebox and a 10mm socket & rachet. Better safe than sorry.

Now are you sure it was the engine and not the trans ? Because from you said if the trans didn't want to down shift when letting off the diesel pedal it too would feel funky or like bucking. So next time to rule out the trans when you let go of the diesel pedal and it is bucking give it fuel and see if it is lugging. Just an idea

I really think it is either the Bully Dog or cps. Either way start with stock tunes. Personally I am not a fan of the Bully Dog their can tunes sometimes cause more problems!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
OK. Ran and picked up two CPS units today from dealer. One for me and a back up for one of the work trucks. Installed the new GREY CPS.....removed an old GREY cps. Took the X out and drove....still had the hesitation and bucking. Came back.....wife asks how it went...I say " Oh, it still runs the same..." Wife stares and gives me the " I knew I wanted a newer Ford Edge" look. I go back out, set the PCM back to stock, with the Bully Dog programer, and take the X out for a spin. It runs like a non-tuned 7.3.......but no hesitation, bucking, hiccups......nothing. BadDogKuzz's words of wisdom float back into my head. Shake my head and now believe what I have always heard about Bully Dog and the 7.3........DO NOT DO IT! Good thing it came with the X and I did not buy it from Bully Dog. Also probably explains why the guy did not have a tune on it when we bought it....LOL.

So is it just that the Bully Dog is crap, or could there be underlying issues...fuel pump weak, injectors weak? So do I just put the Bully Dog up for sale and get a DP? Or should I start looking deeper into my new ride, for issues just under the surface? I am a firm believer in the DP Tuner way, they worked wonders for our Silver Turd , 2000 DRW work truck, and made it much more responsive. This also probably explains why DP Tuner is a sponsor and Bully Dog is nowhere to be seen.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
I have spoken too soon......The bucking/hesitation is back. No SES light. To me it feels like a fuel issue. When we first bought the X we had similar issues. I will begin at the beginning......

We purchased the X from a family in a Chicago suburb. Clean, very small amount of rust....small spots in anticipated areas. Non-smoker, seats are in good shape. Engine and trans as described earlier. Drove the 2.5 hours and took it out for a test drive and look over. Noticed the oil in the valley, leaking brake booster and oil/crud around the intercooler boot on driver side. PO had the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor changed recently. Has a new front end/lights upgrade. Ran well on the test drive. Less than normal rattles under the front end. A lil sloppy in the steering....but you all know about that. Guy wanted 11 I offered 9.5. He countered with 10. Sold. Drove it home 2.5 hours, trading off half way so the wife can drive and see if she notices anything that I have missed with my 7.3 X Lust. NO ISSUES.

Got the X home, plugged her in to extension cord and went to bed. Drove great over the weekend. On Monday, went to pick up or daughter from school at the end of the day. 10 degrees outside....X starts rough....lots of ROMPING....let it warm for 10 minutes and wonder if my extension cord is failing. Wife takes off and as we are going down the road, 10 mph, X begins to surge and wife lets off the pedal...X continues to surge and drive itself....I tell her to pull over and let it idle for a couple of minutes...seems to cure the surging/accelerating by itself. Drive to town, 10 minutes, around 40mph ( Back roads...bumpy). Right before we get to town, X acts like it has a clogged fuel filter, sudden deceleration while driving at a constant rate... it clears up. I stop and grab a filter at the local NAPA. Get home with family, change fuel filter and drain bowl. X fires up on the new filter and runs great. Plug her in.

Over the next two days, I put 600 miles on her for work...all highway under cruise...no issues. Drive to Ohio to see family, 3.5 hours one way..no issues. On the trip back, half and hour from home, the hesitation starts while under cruise....no SES lights....seems to go away when I put my foot in it...comes back in a few minutes. Make it home. Put Actron Plus scanner on it. It sees a P0198 Oil Temp Out Of Range High and a P0603. I hook up the Bully Dog Power Pup that came with it. I upload the 70 HP tune. Drives the same. I return to stock and call it a night.

Drain the oil, change the filter and ATTEMPT to change the oil temp sensor. This goes into another post. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12823234 . After a oil change and new HPOP Reservoir, all is great, with the 70 HP Bully Dog tune. Drives great for a couple of weeks.

Leads us up to three days ago. So where do I start to work out my woes? Could the fuel pump be failing? Is there a second stock fuel filter? I now go and prepare dinner while waiting for FTE knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Just took it in to town. Hesitation....then a SES light! Ahh Ha! Seems to run better with the SES light on.....could just be me. Get home, hook up the Actron...See a P0198....again and a P0603...again. I am guessing that the oil temp sensor is good, as I have replaced it, so I have a short/malfunction else where. The trouble shooting guide says that it could be a PCM issue. I am also getting the P0603 issue that usually has to do with having a chip/programer. I have reset the PCM back to stock, according to the Bully Dog.....So could I hazard a guess and start looking for a short in my harness somewhere?? Now I go back to dinner....LOL.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
When I went to plug in the X two nights ago, I got a good arc flash/pop......Looked at the block heater plug end and found that one side of the cord/wires had been severed. Looks like just due to age, use and abuse......much like I feel some days! So I will be replacing that. Started her up last night and noticed that I could hear her surging/romping while sitting there warming up. I am not talking the gentle, extended RPM increase to warm up the cab faster. I am talking about a quick RPM up followed by a quick RPM down...repeated two or three cycles. Then she smoothed out and idled. What does that indicate? Took it out for a drive last night. Went down some bumpy back roads.....SES light went out 10 minutes into the trip! By Jove Watson!...... What is the most likely harness to start my Wiggle Test at? Could this be the injector wires under the valve cover? Because I do not get a SES light every time there is a period of hesitation and surging, could this mean that the P0198 and P0603 codes are just additional problems and NOT the source of my bucking and surging woes?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Well I have no real world experience with the problems you are having but I would start by pulling the valve covers and doing the 50 cent mod and unplug and check the harness on the outside of valve cover.
And the P0198 if you have replaced the sensor I would check the plug or replace. But with a P0198 and P0603 it could be a pcm issue. If you had another pcm to try it could rule that out.

That and keep that Bully Dog away from any other pcm. The Bully Dog could have a BAD stock tune on it. Who knows?? I wouldn't trust the thing!!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran the bully dog programmer on my truck for a while with no problems. It did wake the truck up over the stock tune. I would leave it in the stock until you figure out what's going on. You might check the wires going over the drivers side valve cover as they can rub on it and cause problems. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
UPDATE!

Sorry for the late reply to the issue. Have been swamped with work and family , a family that is happy that the X is running, stuff.

To all those that suggested the 50 Cent Mod.......You win!! Drivers side UVCH was loose enough that it gave an audible CLICK when I pushed it together. Passenger side was not as bad. Did the Mod and the issues went away! AWESOME!! Now on to the Romping at start....Back to the digging. Will start a new thread after I dig some more. Will also have other questions. Thanks again everyone!!

Josh

Last edited by Hoosier 7.3; 06-29-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: My fingers don't work.