1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Did I get a good deal for 1st project or in over my head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
underglassbell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I get a good deal for 1st project or in over my head?

Hello all. Newbie here, although I have been a lurker for ages. Had a dream for years to get a 60's ford truck, something like my granddaddy had - 65 f100 I believe. I especially love the look of the f250. Well after years of just dreaming I convinced my hubby that if we could find a good enough deal and truck it is time. He drives a late model caddy and doesn't really appreciate the classic trucks like I love. But he likes the idea of my trying to do more indepth car repair and maintenance and thinks this might be a good vehicle for me to learn to do that.

I would say I am a novice. Never done anything more than indepth than fluids, brake changes, tire changes, throttle body/sensor cleaning, helped hubby change plugs and coils on his caddy recently, and other small diagnostic testing on air system, etc... all with hubby's guidance and all on <10yr old vehicles.

So, I found a 66 F250 camper special and shook hands on the deal at $2500. I felt very confident about everything until my fear of not having enough knowledge kicked in. Now I am scared I may have made a mistake and not sure I can handle what may need to be done. But my thought was originally that the truck was in good enough condition now while I attempt what I can handle myself, nothing too heavy would need to be done. Owner used as a weekly pleasure/rec vehicle, and occasionally to haul light loads, But my inexperience keeps making me feel I have no idea what I am doing or getting into. But then I feel how will I make a dream come true if I never start.

I really respect the opinions here, so could you tell me what you think? Did I get a good deal or in over my head?

VIN F25YR776678

Some details:
It is a 1966 F250 Camper Special
It has original motor and tranny, really almost everything & owned by same family entire vehicle life.
All the trim and options like that are there and original (to my best knowledge)
It even has some extremely rare (per my uncle) after market factory air vents on the dash. They do look really cool.
352 2bbl V8 manual 4spd
recently rebuilt carb
rebuilt alternator
Real truck tires
original am radio
original paint, inside and out
matching VIN under hood and door panel plate
no air, but its there owner told me I could cover it
passenger door handle is not attached.
Everything works when I test drove it.
Drum brakes are scary, never drive those. Takes some getting used to? (read about an easy swap for 68-72 discs)

I read about checking the correct areas for rust and I was really struck by how good condition the body seemed to be in, as well as the interior.

Here is the link of the ad with 3 pics
AutoTrader Classics - 1966 Ford F250 Truck Yellow 8 Cylinder Manual 2 wheel drive | Classic Trucks | Sanford, NC

I think it was posted on craigslist for $3000, too but I cannot find the ad again.

I also have 3 more pics of the tail and sides as well as under the hood, pretty good views that I think I uploaded to my album. If not I can post them but not sure how. Would need guidance.

What do you guys think, did I do okay?

Thanks a bunch!

Did I post this in the correct section? If not please let me know.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You came to the right place. Welcome to the world of old Ford trucks!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
underglassbell
New User
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
You came to the right place. Welcome to the world of old Ford trucks!
Thanks, willowbilly3! I love this truck and the FTE site. I have learned a lot from everyone at FTE just by reading threads. I am really excited about being part of this community.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Welcome to the forums. Bunches of information here.

Great looking truck!

The air vents I'm guessing are add ons, to allow more air in your face. Then be able to spin them around and defrost the windshield. I've never seen them before, not that means anything. Just an unusual piece, likely a 70's thing?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Bart8109
Senior User
Hi Bell,
Welcome to the disease/obsession that we all have contracted. These old trucks do have a charm that cannot be matched by modern vehicles. I don't feel truly happy as when I'm driving an old truck. They even smell 'right.'
Anyway, you should post in the '61-'66 forum as they will have more specific knowledge of your truck.
You are right that the '73-79 front end swap will 'update' your drums to discs. I've done it to my '68 as well as adding the power brakes from same truck. It's an easy enough swap, if you have the tools, energy and time.
As to getting in over your head; Hopefully, then you have all this motivation (read fear) to get you through the process of learning how to transform your truck into reality what you have in your minds eye. Just a suggestion, remember to have fun.
My opinion, if I was in the market for another truck (have a '68 F250 and '76 F100 and the wife says no more, for now this is an excellent truck going by the pictures.
Congratulations and just keep moving forward. You'll never regret going for it.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
underglassbell
New User
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Welcome to the forums. Bunches of information here.

Great looking truck!

The air vents I'm guessing are add ons, to allow more air in your face. Then be able to spin them around and defrost the windshield. I've never seen them before, not that means anything. Just an unusual piece, likely a 70's thing?
Thanks Frieghtrain,
From what I could find, which was very little and on another forum, they are defrost extensions, a ford dealer accessory, and rare. I have never seen them before and could not find out anything else about them. I like the way they look on the dash, even better in person. Not sure when they were manufactured. I would love to find out though.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
underglassbell
New User
Originally Posted by Bart8109
Hi Bell,
Welcome to the disease/obsession that we all have contracted. These old trucks do have a charm that cannot be matched by modern vehicles. I don't feel truly happy as when I'm driving an old truck. They even smell 'right.'
Anyway, you should post in the '61-'66 forum as they will have more specific knowledge of your truck.
You are right that the '73-79 front end swap will 'update' your drums to discs. I've done it to my '68 as well as adding the power brakes from same truck. It's an easy enough swap, if you have the tools, energy and time.
As to getting in over your head; Hopefully, then you have all this motivation (read fear) to get you through the process of learning how to transform your truck into reality what you have in your minds eye. Just a suggestion, remember to have fun.
My opinion, if I was in the market for another truck (have a '68 F250 and '76 F100 and the wife says no more, for now this is an excellent truck going by the pictures.
Congratulations and just keep moving forward. You'll never regret going for it.

Thanks Bart! That makes me feel better. Until I read I posted in the wrong section. Sorry for the mistake never posted on a forum before & can be slightly confusing to a newbie. I love the truck (and other than the drum brakes scaring me cuz I never drove with them before) I love the feel of these trucks, too!

Should I just copy/paste into a new thread into the correct section, or should I have the thread moved? If so, how?

Also, if you wouldn't mind telling me what tools are needed for the break swap? That would be my first project and within the next 2 months after I read everything that exists about it.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome aboard. All I gotta say is "Learn By Doing". These rigs are VERY simple to work on and parts are relatively low buck. If you get stuck, we're here to help as much as we can using our fingers to clack away on these keyboards.

Lastly, carry a tow strap for when your hubby calls on you to get pulled out of a ditch.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM
underglassbell
New User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Welcome aboard. All I gotta say is "Learn By Doing". These rigs are VERY simple to work on and parts are relatively low buck. If you get stuck, we're here to help as much as we can using our fingers to clack away on these keyboards.

Lastly, carry a tow strap for when your hubby calls on you to get pulled out of a ditch.
Thanks for the welcome.

As for your last comment I love this idea. Can't wait to tell hubby during our vehicle wars aka discussions.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
The best thing you could buy for the truck would be a set of Ford repair manuals. If you decide to buy them, look for the hard copy, paper version. Some of the DVDs have poor images. I found a used set in good condition for my '70 F100 on ebay.

Be sure to read up on coil spring (assume that truck has coils) removal before you start. No problem if you do it right.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
underglassbell
New User
Originally Posted by MavSprint
The best thing you could buy for the truck would be a set of Ford repair manuals. If you decide to buy them, look for the hard copy, paper version. Some of the DVDs have poor images. I found a used set in good condition for my '70 F100 on ebay.

Be sure to read up on coil spring (assume that truck has coils) removal before you start. No problem if you do it right.
I ordered the CD for now, hubby told me he would get me the four manual set by Ford for my bday in 2mos. I had already read that there and I am off now to read about the coils like you suggested. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Drum brakes kept everyone at bay back when that was all you had. No buddy drove quite as bad as they do now with 4wd power disc brakes.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
Originally Posted by underglassbell
I ordered the CD for now, hubby told me he would get me the four manual set by Ford for my bday in 2mos. I had already read that there and I am off now to read about the coils like you suggested. Thanks.

BTW, VERY nice truck!!! I don't know the market, but it looks like a bargain to me. Have fun!!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Congratulations on your truck. The VIN tells us its a two wheel drive F250 (F25) with a 352 (Y) cubic inch 2 bbl V8 (which you already know) built in San Jose, California (R) in November, 1965 (776678). Post the data from your driver's door warranty plate and we can tell you more about how your truck was equipped when it left the factory. These trucks are relatively easy to work on and conversions to things like power disc brakes, power steering, and air conditioning, and even 5 speed overdrive or automatic transmissions are quite doable. Don't expect great gas mileage, though. That was not a consideration when they were built back in the day. Don't think you're in over your head at all. Have fun with it!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In addition to the 61-66 forum here, you may also want to check out
Slick 60's &bull; Index page

I frequent several old Ford truck sites, and have learned that no one site has everything, but together they are more than the sum of their parts.
That's a nice truck you have there!

Quick Reply: Did I get a good deal for 1st project or in over my head?