Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Proud New Owner of a 1987 Ford Aerostar!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
williambaker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Proud New Owner of a 1987 Ford Aerostar!!!

Dear Fellow Aerostar Owners,

I couldn't be more proud to join the ranks of what must be the most sought-after group of people in the world. The fact that there are people in this world not driving Aerostars puzzles me.

Granted, it is my first car and I've invested a lot of time into making it my own, but I honestly do believe it to be the greatest machine ever built.

The reason for my post, though, is that I have scoured the internet (that's how I found this awesome site!) and have been unable to find an owner's manual for it. He's only had a couple minor problems that I have been able to fix myself, but I know I'd be able to take better care of him if I had a manual. If anyone knows where to find a 1987 Ford Aerostar Manual I'd greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction!

He does have one troubling issue of late, but it isn't all that urgent now that I have parked him until I can get my license renewed. I am a bit worried about it though - this is what happened:

I was dropping a friend off at the airport the other day and when I got back in the car to head to class, the engine turned off on me multiple times. At first I thought it had to do with me reversing out of my spot, but even when I rolled out and started him again and put him in drive, it did the same thing. I waited a few minutes before starting him again and decided to give it a little gas and luckily he kicked into gear after lurching forward fairly painfully for about 50 feet.

I made it the rest of the way to campus (about 10 miles) with no issue, and even drove him home and to class and back the next day without a problem. He has a new Idle Air Converter that I put in him a few months ago, so I doubt that is the issue as he has been running fine ever since.
If you have any ideas or need any more information, let me know!
Cheers,
William

Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
glad to have you aboard William
:

lots of good info on these links

Fuel Injection Technical Library

first thing to do.

how to run a code self test for diagnostics OBDI Ford

Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test

owners manuals back to '96 also lots of good Ford service info from old Motorcraft site.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...S-EN&YEAR=1996

aerostar service manuals on CD. in the Ford Lt. Trucks service manual.
ebay best, lots of online sites hawking theirs
get the official Ford Motorcraft Shop service manual, the best. too much false info on the aftermarket manuals such as Haynes or Chilton.
2 manuals. engine body and electrical

Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
williambaker
New User
Thanks for the response 96_4wdr!

I couldn't get on the motorcraft site without log-in information, but the other links had some great information, thanks.

I found a "Chilton's" manual for $26 online at this link:

Discount Car Parts Stuff - Car Accessories & Truck Accessories - Cheap Auto Parts - Car Cover - Floor Mats - Cargo Liner - 1987 Ford Aerostar Manual Performance/Accessory

I couldn't tell from your reply if you recommended Chilton's or meant for me to steer clear of them, so I didn't make the purchase yet.

Let me know!

-William

Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
waterbear
Senior User
Hi, i use ALLDATAdiy.com to get a wide choice of infos online for my current 97' Aero. The Database covers the L4 140 2.3L SOHC or V6-183 3.0L Engine for the 87' Aero. I paid 30$ for a five-year subscription. Contains a lot more Infos than usualy found on hardcopy manuals like Chilton or Haynes. The combination of all, ALLDATA + this Forums + Haynes, works best for me.

Example from my ALLDATdiy 97' Aero subscription

Greets from Germany

Last edited by waterbear; 02-27-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spell check