Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.9 cold start rattle/knock fix - any bets?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9 cold start rattle/knock fix - any bets?

My 4.9 has the common rattle/knock on start up.

It had this issue when I got it, so I don't know when it started doing it, or if its always done it. I've heard some people say theirs has done this since new, and others who developed it later.

The po of my truck did not take very good care of it and his maintainence was awful. The truck was @4 quarts low when I got it and had a fram filter on it. The M5od trans was basically empty, as was the rear end.

I switched to a motorcraft filter and it seemed to help a bit and I have experimented with some different oil weights and it seems to like 15w40 the best.

A lot of people say this doesn't hurt anything, and it may not I suppose, but it bothers me. I'm also getting ready to pull the engine and put new bearings, seals, cam, lifters, freeze plugs, oil pump and metal timing gears in it and it will really bother me if it were to still do it afterwards.

The factory oil drain back adapter for the oil filter from the tsb Ford put out is pretty much impossible to find so I ordered the 90 degree oil filter adapter from Summit.

It arrived at the shop friday but I didn't have time to put it on, but I am going to go in early today and put it on.

Does anyone want to guess if it will work?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM
bdelmar2
Senior User
For anyone who may have interest the oil filter adapter didn't completely eliminate the start up noise but it reduced it by 80 or 90%.

You have to listen for it to hear it now and you couldn't miss it before I put the adapter on.

If it wasn't for my bearings/oil pump being worn out already I believe it would have silenced it completely.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This oil adapter thing your talking about. Not the first time I hear about it, never looked into it though. Where does it go? Easy to install?? Pics???

And the noise you hear is probably the lifters. 300's seem to be pretty known for lifter noise do to their old fashion flat tappet lifters. Roller cams were never introduced to the 300.

I have 2 pretty low miles 300's, and only my '94 makes a lil lifter tap when it's really really cold (like under 0*F), otherwise it's quiet. My '89 300 is as quiet as a mouse all the time.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
I actually have both a bottom end knocking and lifter rattle. When I first got the truck it was horrible, sounded like it was coming apart every time it started. Several bottom knocks followed by a lot of lifter rattle - all loud.

The truck also rev'ved up to 2500 rpm or so on start because of a bad clutch safety switch which really made it sound bad.

I replaced the filter with a motorcraft and put some fresh 10/40 in it and that helped a bit, but still rough. Tried some different weights of oil and 15/40 seemed to make it the happiest, but still noisy on start if it sat for more than a couple hours.

I drove it like this off and on for about 5 years. I originally bought the truck for $225 just to haul scrap steel. It grew on me and I decided to keep it.

Fixed the wiring so it started with a key and only rev's up to 1500 like it should now and that helped some too, but still very noticable.

I didn't take any photos, but here is the adapter:

FORD F 150 Ford Racing Oil Filter Adapters M-6880-A50 - SummitRacing.com

It is very easy to install, just remove the old filter and the adapter tightens down where the filter went using that large nut, seals with included o-rings, one on filter mating surface and one under the nut/fitting. Then the oil filter screws on from the bottom in a normal fashion. (You could actually turn the adapter any direction.) Takes less than 5 minutes.

They sell another adapter, I won't post the link to avoid confusion, that is very similar but has a male instead of a female nut/fitting. For that you would need an insert to replace the one in the block. I found this type in the upullit on a couple different engines from the factory, but I would have needed the insert and would have had to hunt down correct o-rings.

Here is a copy of the tsb on the issue:

1983 Ford Bronco TSBs & FSAs (Recalls) for '83-96 Broncos & F150s picture | SuperMotors.net

I was unable to locate the Ford part referenced in it, but I was eventually able to find photos of someone who had found one and installed it. The part replaces the insert that screws into the block that the oil filter spins onto. Its not something you would notice unless you were specifically looking for it. The photo's I found didn't include one directly from the end, but I imagine there is a light spring and check ball in it. I tried to find an engine in the upullit with one of these, but didn't find one before I ran out of time.

From what I have gathered in researching the topic some of the 4.9's never knock on start up, some do it from day one, and others start doing it later at some point. Since I am relying on second hand knowledge and don't know which of the engines referred to had or didn't have the tsb repair done to them, or the general condition of the engines and their maintainence I have no idea how accurate this information is.

Right now my engine makes 3 very light thumps followed by a quiet rattling which is a huge improvement from where I started. As I said, now you have to listen for it, before when I started it people would take a involuntary step back, their eyes would open wide and they would put their hands up to block possible flying parts. The adapter made the biggest single improvement. The oil pressure also comes up more quickly. I have an actual guage installed.

The truck still needs bearings and an oil pump but I'm pretty confident I have done all I can to keep them alive once installed.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This adapter you purchased has a anti drain back valve in it?

A spring and check ball in the adapter is usually for pressure bypass.
Most oil filters have a anti drain back valve built into them.

The Motorcraft FL1A has one.

Here's a site that shows the specs. for different oil filters.

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by F150xlt
Most oil filters have a anti drain back valve built into them.
Right, that was my thought as well. I realize it's possible for them to fail, but I don't think that's a common occurrence.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM
bdelmar2
Senior User
No, the adapter I purchased does not have an anti-drain back valve in it.

The adapter I used turns the filter itself so it is straight up and down, since it is no longer turned sideways it does not, can not, drain out.

As I said, I was unable to find the adapter that screws into the block with the anti-drain back valve built into it that Ford used as their fix for the issue. It has been discontinued and nobody has one. Not to mention they wanted $250 for it when it was available.

I am aware of the anti-drain back valve in the correct oil filter, it was the first thing I changed after getting the truck home. Its a fairly common issue with several manufacturers. I mentioned putting the correct filter on the truck in both of my previous posts.

It is not terribly uncommon for the correct anti-drain back filter to still drain back, thats is why they released the tsb I linked.

Ford's solution is the adapter, part #E4TZ-6890-A. Which they call a service replacement anti-drainback engine oil filter adapter insert. This is the adapter I was unable to locate.

In order to install it you remove your filter and unscrew the fitting from the block and replace it with E4TZ-6890-A.

The adapter I got is a Ford Racing part. What it does is turn the filter 90 degrees. To install it you just remove your filter and it screws on to the existing fitting already in your block, then just reinstall the filter.

I guess a photo is worth a thousand words, this isn't my engine, but its the same adapter I used:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...s/IMGP0369.jpg

Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anit drainback valve would help

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
bdelmar2
Senior User
Ok, I give up. It appears that IDIDieselJohn is the only person who actually read what I wrote before replying.

I can understand if you don't want to read what I've written, but why would you make suggestions without reading the post?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdelmar2
Ok, I give up. It appears that IDIDieselJohn is the only person who actually read what I wrote before replying.

I can understand if you don't want to read what I've written, but why would you make suggestions without reading the post?
Gotta get the post count up in numbers anyway possible!!!!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually have both a bottom end knocking and lifter rattle. When I first got the truck it was horrible, sounded like it was coming apart every time it started. Several bottom knocks followed by a lot of lifter rattle - all loud.

The truck also rev'ved up to 2500 rpm or so on start because of a bad clutch safety switch which really made it sound bad.

I replaced the filter with a motorcraft and put some fresh 10/40 in it and that helped a bit, but still rough. Tried some different weights of oil and 15/40 seemed to make it the happiest, but still noisy on start if it sat for more than a couple hours.

I drove it like this off and on for about 5 years. I originally bought the truck for $225 just to haul scrap steel. It grew on me and I decided to keep it.

Fixed the wiring so it started with a key and only rev's up to 1500 like it should now and that helped some too, but still very noticable.

I didn't take any photos, but here is the adapter:

FORD F 150 Ford Racing Oil Filter Adapters M-6880-A50 - SummitRacing.com

It is very easy to install, just remove the old filter and the adapter tightens down where the filter went using that large nut, seals with included o-rings, one on filter mating surface and one under the nut/fitting. Then the oil filter screws on from the bottom in a normal fashion. (You could actually turn the adapter any direction.) Takes less than 5 minutes.

They sell another adapter, I won't post the link to avoid confusion, that is very similar but has a male instead of a female nut/fitting. For that you would need an insert to replace the one in the block. I found this type in the upullit on a couple different engines from the factory, but I would have needed the insert and would have had to hunt down correct o-rings.

Here is a copy of the tsb on the issue:

1983 Ford Bronco TSBs & FSAs (Recalls) for '83-96 Broncos & F150s picture | SuperMotors.net

I was unable to locate the Ford part referenced in it, but I was eventually able to find photos of someone who had found one and installed it. The part replaces the insert that screws into the block that the oil filter spins onto. Its not something you would notice unless you were specifically looking for it. The photo's I found didn't include one directly from the end, but I imagine there is a light spring and check ball in it. I tried to find an engine in the upullit with one of these, but didn't find one before I ran out of time.

From what I have gathered in researching the topic some of the 4.9's never knock on start up, some do it from day one, and others start doing it later at some point. Since I am relying on second hand knowledge and don't know which of the engines referred to had or didn't have the tsb repair done to them, or the general condition of the engines and their maintainence I have no idea how accurate this information is.

Right now my engine makes 3 very light thumps followed by a quiet rattling which is a huge improvement from where I started. As I said, now you have to listen for it, before when I started it people would take a involuntary step back, their eyes would open wide and they would put their hands up to block possible flying parts. The adapter made the biggest single improvement. The oil pressure also comes up more quickly. I have an actual guage installed.

The truck still needs bearings and an oil pump but I'm pretty confident I have done all I can to keep them alive once installed.

I thank you very much for the info! Definitely going to look into this! Both my straight 6's don't make any noise on start up, but i've always been known to do preventative maintenance!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
People are not questioning what you did. Your solution makes sense.

It appears Fords solution is a cover up. They state in the TSB the noise
problem during start up is caused by oil draining out of the oil filter over
an 8 hr period of time or longer.

Why didn't Ford tell the dealers to verify the brand of oil filter causing
the problem and to replace it with an approved filter that had a anti drain back valve?

Most engine wear occurs during start up.
If Ford admitted the problem was with the oil filters they recommended and engine
damage occurred during start up due to defective oil filters lawsuits would follow.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Eric Fullerton
Senior User
No, the adapter I purchased does not have an anti-drain back valve in it.

The adapter I used turns the filter itself so it is straight up and down, since it is no longer turned sideways it does not, can not, drain out.

As I said, I was unable to find the adapter that screws into the block with the anti-drain back valve built into it that Ford used as their fix for the issue. It has been discontinued and nobody has one. Not to mention they wanted $250 for it when it was available.

I am aware of the anti-drain back valve in the correct oil filter, it was the first thing I changed after getting the truck home. Its a fairly common issue with several manufacturers. I mentioned putting the correct filter on the truck in both of my previous posts.

It is not terribly uncommon for the correct anti-drain back filter to still drain back, thats is why they released the tsb I linked.

Ford's solution is the adapter, part #E4TZ-6890-A. Which they call a service replacement anti-drainback engine oil filter adapter insert. This is the adapter I was unable to locate.

In order to install it you remove your filter and unscrew the fitting from the block and replace it with E4TZ-6890-A.

The adapter I got is a Ford Racing part. What it does is turn the filter 90 degrees. To install it you just remove your filter and it screws on to the existing fitting already in your block, then just reinstall the filter.

I guess a photo is worth a thousand words, this isn't my engine, but its the same adapter I used:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...s/IMGP0369.jpg
I just want to thank you for the post, I've been looking for a solution to this problem since I bought the truck. I am retired, and none of my stuff is a daily driver. When this one has sat for a week, it rattles a few seconds at start up, filter seems to matter little, Wix, Motorcraft & Napa Gold do the best, but they all will eventually drain back. This is an elegant solution, gravity is now your friend, all is right with the universe.