Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Excursion's 4ever!

Excursion Gary has a good reputation on FTE.Excursion Gary has a good reputation on FTE.
7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!

Rebuilding my 2001 7.3 out of my Excursion. May not be my smartest decision since nothing major was wrong with the motor, but with 400k miles and wanting to do some performance upgrades anyway the timing was right. What convinced me was confirming I had the infamous powdered metal connecting rods, the chewed up turbo, and a host of little things that unto themselves were no big deal, but wanting to add more HP to this motor I knew that the only safe bet was to get rid of the PMR's and do the project right. After all, deciding not to buy new again allows me to put less money (than a new truck) into this rig and have what I want. This all started when I found the air filter from the intake off the inlet tube in my airbox resulting in the compressor wheel getting hammered. A very expensive lesson, and one I am very unhappy with the manufacture over, but thats another story.

So here I am at step one, breaking it down to pull the motor tomorrow.
Click the image to open in full size.
I was very pleased to see that the coolant filter system and the HD ELC was doing it's job. Clean, and no cavitation!
Stock injectors, soon to be replaced, along with a list of other upgrades. The block and heads go to the machine shop on Monday, and that will be about 30 days as it's a busy shop. I'll report back on the quality off work and hold of naming until I see there work first hand.

If there is interest I'll keep this thread updated as time permitts.
01 Ex., 7.3L, Crwr Rods, Mell-LPOP, SRP1.1 HPOP, FFD 238/100 Inj, 6.0 Bnks IC, CFM+ IM, 38R-w/ WWII, ceram coated exh mans-up pipes-turbo exh and down pipe, DP-Infinity, SpringerPops Oil Bypass System, ISSPRO Gauge Cluster, JW SP Trans, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AR-AIS, and ...(out of room)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Definite interest Gary. Thx for sharing with us.
2000 Excursion XLT V10 4x4 170K, front V's + 2'' level mini-pack, rear mod'd C's,, 315's, winch bumpers F/R, Viair system, Piaa lighting, Hellwig sent to GermanMike, dual Optimas, oily K&N, RedHeaded, scratchy paint, love taps at each corner.

Join the So Cal chapter here
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Elder User

DieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to all
Definitely keep it updated. Very interested to see how the heads come out.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
I love watching other people spend money!
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Excursion's 4ever!

Excursion Gary has a good reputation on FTE.Excursion Gary has a good reputation on FTE.
It's out!

Note the leakage out the #5 exhaust port.......hmmmm!

The cylinders all look great for 400k miles.

Tomorrow it's off to the machine shop.
01 Ex., 7.3L, Crwr Rods, Mell-LPOP, SRP1.1 HPOP, FFD 238/100 Inj, 6.0 Bnks IC, CFM+ IM, 38R-w/ WWII, ceram coated exh mans-up pipes-turbo exh and down pipe, DP-Infinity, SpringerPops Oil Bypass System, ISSPRO Gauge Cluster, JW SP Trans, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AR-AIS, and ...(out of room)
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
How nice to be able to do that in a shop

Not to stray too far off topic, but that looks like a '59 T-Bird in the background....yours?
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09

Last edited by SteveBricks; 02-25-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary View Post
Note the leakage out the #5 exhaust port.......hmmmm!
What do you believe is causing that?

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Excursion's 4ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
How nice to be able to do that in a shop

Not to stray too far off topic, but that looks like a '59 T-Bird in the background....yours?
Impressive Steve! It's a 58. Belongs to a customer at the shop my buddy owns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
What do you believe is causing that?

Pop
Looking at the stem it looks to me like a worn valve guide. What is it Pop's?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Senior User

djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.
DELETED MY POST
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary View Post
Looking at the stem it looks to me like a worn valve guide. What is it Pop's?
I don't know, but that would normally be a good guess.

The reason for my question:
After considering the turbo-caused back-pressure, I wonder if oil getting past the guide seals wouldn't have a tough time getting through the guide.
Of course, if that were to be the case, how would the guides get lubed at all?

As I said, I dunno'.

I hope you'll let us all know as this thread progresses and you have been able to measure clearances.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Watching your build for sure.
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Excursion's 4ever!

Will do guys. The hard part now is waiting for the machine shop. Patience is not one of my virtues, although I am getting better as I get older.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Excursion's 4ever!

Well, not proud to admit it but apparently you have to continiously check to make sure your intake filter stays attached to the intake tube. With the unit I have when I though it was good to go, I was apparently wrong, and on more than one occasion. An expensive and embarrasing lesson, but maybe someone can benefit from my mistake(s). Here is the photo showing debris that came in the intake when the filter fell off, and the damaged compresor wheel on my GTP38R. Followed by the next photo of it cleaned up and ready to go with the new WW2 compressor wheel. Now all I need is a motor.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Yikes...dusted 'er pretty good.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Excursion's 4ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
Yikes...dusted 'er pretty good.
Yep, and the embarrasing part was I knew I was having a problem with the filter seperating and during a 3-month period when I was working 14-16 hours a day 7 days a week on a major design project for 25 sites I totally spaced out checking, and when I did think of it I was too tired. Now I get to pay the price. Tough reminder lesson Steve.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter