S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselHardware
Just out of curiosity, if you are spending the money on the Crowers, why not add a girdle while you're there. The weakest point is the block. The Crowers will take a lot more stress than the PMR's or Forged rods, but the block twisting can still do some damage. Just wondering if it was something you had thought about?
DH- No, I had'nt given it much thought. I understand this is probably a mod someone who plans on really pushing the motor would need, but honestly other than the occasional jerk I need to get around, or the quality individual who pulls up next to me in the turn lane thinking he's going to beat me across the intersection and cut me off.......with those few exceptions I dont really push the motor at all. Daily driver.......with power when I want it. Welcome to hear your thoughts on the subject. Not much out there for technical justifications or thresholdfs that I could see.
Thanks for the question-made me look.

Last edited by Excursion Gary; 05-15-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i feel like this is a dumb question but i'll ask it anyway. will the rebuild pass smog? the reason i ask is due to my truck having a regulated return kit installed and a simple 6637 for the intake. the shop down the street said i failed inspection based on those two mods. i thought i would fail due to the CCV mod.
btw, stoked to see your process of the rebuild. i am ready to do the same to mine. just need the spot. keep us updated with more pics! awesome!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by bdpotts
i feel like this is a dumb question but i'll ask it anyway. will the rebuild pass smog? the reason i ask is due to my truck having a regulated return kit installed and a simple 6637 for the intake. the shop down the street said i failed inspection based on those two mods. i thought i would fail due to the CCV mod.
btw, stoked to see your process of the rebuild. i am ready to do the same to mine. just need the spot. keep us updated with more pics! awesome!
No dumb questions. Will it pass smog.......the snap test yes, because I intend on running a very clean tune,,,,,however, does it meet the letter of the law for aftermarket changes probably not. But to me it all comes down to the the attitude of the shop where you have it checked. If someone runs a dirty tune and thinks that lots of black smoke is cool then they will probably get caught. Mods need to be either CARB approved or on the exemption list. According to this link the air cleaner modification does not require CARB EO verification during smog check, but the mod should be CARB approved. The regulated return probably not an authorized mod. See the quick reference guide on page 2. http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...24_2009_gc.pdf

Keep the badges off your rig, no visible programmer and return what you can to stock when you go smog. Oh, and make sure you run a clean tune. Best wishes on your smog check.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Well, finally the motor is in, and as predicted by a few of you the turbo had to be removed to fit under the cowle.

New Flexplate from John Woods............

Now, the fun really begins. Installing the aftermarket filtration systems, gauges, programmer, tranny, other items, topping it all off and in anticipation of a successful start later this week, or early next week.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
dude, totally awesome. what i would give for a work space to do something like that.
someday, someday.
cheers!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by bdpotts
dude, totally awesome. what i would give for a work space to do something like that.
someday, someday.
cheers!
Thanks. I am very fortunate to have a good friend named Mike Edlebrock who owns a top Automotive and Performance Center in my area who is helping me make this happen. This is not a project that I was equipped to do at home. One of the guys that works there (Neil) is a top mechanic and is doing most of the wrench work. My role quite honestly has been more of the creator of the project and its scope, determining the pieces parts and how it all is to come together. I have done alot of prep work like the turbo rebuild (old one) and prep of the new one, polishing ports and tunnels, and making sure the pieces/parts we are using are properly prepped. Moreover somewhat like a project manager. I assist Neil in the build to the extent possible, and offer a second set of eyes and make sure he knows what goes back stock versus all the changes I've made. It's been a great collaboration, and something we have had alot of fun with so far.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
Thanks. I am very fortunate to have a good friend named Mike Edlebrock who owns a top Automotive and Performance Center in my area who is helping me make this happen. This is not a project that I was equipped to do at home. One of the guys that works there (Neil) is a top mechanic and is doing most of the wrench work. My role quite honestly has been more of the creator of the project and its scope, determining the pieces parts and how it all is to come together. I have done alot of prep work like the turbo rebuild (old one) and prep of the new one, polishing ports and tunnels, and making sure the pieces/parts we are using are properly prepped. Moreover somewhat like a project manager. I assist Neil in the build to the extent possible, and offer a second set of eyes and make sure he knows what goes back stock versus all the changes I've made. It's been a great collaboration, and something we have had alot of fun with so far.
This is just an awesome build. Are you doing this in Torrance? Not meaning to veer off topic but about 2-3 years ago we (SAE club at school) were asked by a CSULB Alumni who I guess works/ed at Edelbrock to go to the Revved up for Kids car show. It was so fun, we displayed our "glorified" go-kart project, got free hats, and t-shirts signed by Vic, it was an awesome experience and seeing the museum they got was really cool....plus out of their generosity, we got to walk away with a box of parts to use on our school project.

Would love to get another connection going with them, only reason it stopped was cuz our past club president graduated, and we just never knew who to talk to.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
This is just an awesome build. Are you doing this in Torrance? Not meaning to veer off topic but about 2-3 years ago we (SAE club at school) were asked by a CSULB Alumni who I guess works/ed at Edelbrock to go to the Revved up for Kids car show. It was so fun, we displayed our "glorified" go-kart project, got free hats, and t-shirts signed by Vic, it was an awesome experience and seeing the museum they got was really cool....plus out of their generosity, we got to walk away with a box of parts to use on our school project.

Would love to get another connection going with them, only reason it stopped was cuz our past club president graduated, and we just never knew who to talk to.
Thanks..................That sounds like a really cool experience. No, this build is happening just NE of Palm Springs up in Yucca Valley. Are you doing any projects of your own yet, or thinking about one?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM
DieselHardware
Elder User
I should have mentioned earlier, and it's just food for thought.

I installed a Melling pump 2 years ago. Joey from Terminator Engineering was honest about his dislike of the Melling unit. It seemed to be great for me, but I never actually measured the low pressure oil pressure. I had a seal fail a few weeks ago(my fault, not the Melling pump). I decided to replace it with a new OEM unit and I was shocked at the difference. I still have not actually measured the low pressure oil pressure, but the truck is running night and day. A lot smoother running and at idle. Like I said, just food for thought, but you might want to monitor the actual pressure with a new expensive engine going in just to make sure all is well.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I am surprised to hear this, as Melling has had a faultless reputation in the oil pump biz for decades.

I would believe that they actually do before and after comparisons, using both new and worn OEM and Melling parts. Anything otherwise would seem irresponsible, and endanger their good name.

"Seat-of-the-pants" findings without hard data is less-than-optimum, and since Melling's reputation is having a pall cast, data would be nicer to go on.

Have you reported your findings to them? Any response from them might be of some value to us as a group.

I would also be open to Joey's reasons for his stand.

Pop

Old 05-22-2013, 03:17 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
Are you doing any projects of your own yet, or thinking about one?
No, I'd love to though. Schools my first priority right now, it just takes up so much time and money At school, we actually have some cool tools and equipment that us students can utilize (5x5 Torchmate, Mini Haaz, 3D printers, 4 big Lathe's, 4 Mill's, etc). Everything I've done has to do with fabrication, but I wanna gain more knowledge and experience with engines.

Here's our school site CSULB Society of Automotive Engineers

Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Motor is in, flexplate installed and getting ready for the transmision.

Here you can get a better view of the backside looking up to the power elbow. The down radius on the turbo outlet elbow sure made things alot easier when we connected the down tube.

Here are the connections made for the supply and return for the oil bypass system. Anyone with a 7.3 should look into doing this. SpringerPop (FTE) has a great instruction and material list which is where I took all my guidance from. I am not quite done, but you can see the intent and direction. Very pleased with the results (Thanks Pops!). Look for SpringerPop on FTE and the link is in his sig. There is alot more there as well like a transmission filter system which is on my list to do later.

The filtration system on the right is for a primary fuel filtration system. I am using a pre-pump external filter, and because I did the fuel bowl delete I needed a post pump filter. Using Baldwin filters everyehere.

FueLab 41401 Fuel Pump installed in the same location as stock, not installed yet is the pre-pump filter. Adapting from 10AN to 3/8 quick connect is a work in process. I'll let you know how it all turns out. More catelogues to look through to see what is out there for parts.

From the front looking back shows how the fuel filter mounts to the transmission housing using a stand-off bracket, the line from the pump, and the line forward to the "Y" block. Braided lines with protective covering.

New starter. Was not aware of a 3-bolt version that has more cranking power than the stock unit. The plate does not give any data other than made by Mitsubishi so am not sure of the actual differences other than appearance. I have more research to do as I also noted the difference in the gear setback, so either the armiture extends further, or this is not going to work well.

Here is the "Y" block in place of the factory fuel bowl. Much cleaner, and hopefully will help keep the valley cleaner.

All in all a good day, we got quite a bit accomplished. Tomorrow is a down day as I need to go back and do some actual work. Start again on Thursday.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I am surprised to hear this, as Melling has had a faultless reputation in the oil pump biz for decades.

I would believe that they actually do before and after comparisons, using both new and worn OEM and Melling parts. Anything otherwise would seem irresponsible , and endanger their good name.

"Seat-of-the-pants" findings without hard data is less-than-optimum, and since Melling's reputation is having a pall cast, data would be nicer to go on.

Have you reported your findings to them? Any response from them might be of some value to us as a group.

I would also be open to Joey's reasons for his stand.

Pop
Joey had hard numbers but I can't recall what they were. I understand that "seat-of-the-pants" is not as good as hard numbers, but I can promise you that this was not just a "feeling". It was very obvious. I would say as obvious as when I installed my ATI SuperDamper. I know plenty of people running the Melling pump, but have heard in a couple places of people having the same concern. Like I mentioned, food for thought and might be something to watch. I know if I put that kind of money into a motor, especially a 7.3 or 6.0 which lives or dies off of oil pressure, I'd want to keep an eye on it.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by DieselHardware
Joey had hard numbers but I can't recall what they were. I understand that "seat-of-the-pants" is not as good as hard numbers, but I can promise you that this was not just a "feeling". It was very obvious. I would say as obvious as when I installed my ATI SuperDamper. I know plenty of people running the Melling pump, but have heard in a couple places of people having the same concern. Like I mentioned, food for thought and might be something to watch. I know if I put that kind of money into a motor, especially a 7.3 or 6.0 which lives or dies off of oil pressure, I'd want to keep an eye on it.
Thanks DH. I have to agree with SpringerPops as I think you do as well, that more specific data would be very helpful, not that experinece isnt important, it is. But I also have heard nothing but good things about the Melling brand, in paticular the LPOP for the 7.3. I also recommend you let Melling know of your experience as this would benefit everyone. I do plan on monitoring both the low and high pressure sides, and now being mindful of your experience I will track the performance of the LP side a little closer.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
No, I'd love to though. Schools my first priority right now, it just takes up so much time and money At school, we actually have some cool tools and equipment that us students can utilize (5x5 Torchmate, Mini Haaz, 3D printers, 4 big Lathe's, 4 Mill's, etc). Everything I've done has to do with fabrication, but I wanna gain more knowledge and experience with engines.

Here's our school site CSULB Society of Automotive Engineers
Keep at it, it sounds like your doing the right things. And, I can see you come from a performance oriented family. Nice wheels for a young person, or anyone for that matter!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!