Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

operation bench to bucket

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
bikeymikey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
operation bench to bucket

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } my 89 f350 crew cab manual has a pretty beat up front bench, and while my wife and i find bench seats much more... romantic, we need to get some bucket seats. this is because my family and i are going to be taking this truck on a long distance road trip to south america and we need a place to mount a safe for our valuables (cameras, laptops, what have yous and what nots).
initially i was resigned to the fact that i would have to harvest some buckets from a bronco of the same generation, and drill holes in my floorpans for the extra tracks and my safe but between the two pick n pulls by where i live, there was nothing. so i widened my search to include the 40-20-40 setup. turns out that's what i should have been looking for in the first place.
i found one in a 9th gen f150. the seats were beat to hell, but according to my measurements, the 4 mounting points were in the same spots. no drilling! the only thing i didn't check was whether the angle of the fronts was the same as my floor pans. i was willing to take the chance, so i ripped the old seats off and loaded the base onto my wheel barrow. on my way out i stopped at a 93 explorer and harvested some pretty nice looking seats.
anyway, here are the pics: (i'll spare you the one of the original bench.)

bench removed,
test fitting base.

holes line up.
screw holes on tracks line up with ones in seats. two for two!
finished product.

to recap replacing front bench with bucket seats:

platform: 89 f350 4x4 crew cab
40-20-40 base: 1994 f150 reg cab
seats: 1993 explorer.

no holes to drill, plug and play. now i need to find a good safe we can mount in the area that used to hold the jumper seat.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would be putting the safe behind the rear seat. Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Nicely documented. I presume the '94 donor of the seat frame was either a regular or crew cab, yes?

The explorer seats just bolted right in?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM
bikeymikey
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I would be putting the safe behind the rear seat. Out of sight, out of mind.
i like it. that would be a good place for things we won't be needing on a daily basis (passports and the like)

Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Nicely documented. I presume the '94 donor of the seat frame was either a regular or crew cab, yes?
it was a regular cab. thanks for bringing that up.

The explorer seats just bolted right in?
bolted right in. just like the base.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM
hodjibran
New User
I have an 86 F150 single cab and am thinking of putting buckets in it...you made it look easy!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by hodjibran
I have an 86 F150 single cab and am thinking of putting buckets in it...you made it look easy!
With the way he's done it, it is. Don't be tempted to grab the seats and tracks from an Extended/Super Cab or Bronco - it's doable, but you'll have to drill holes and the seats will sit a bit too high.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM
bikeymikey
Senior User
Originally Posted by hodjibran
it really was. once i got all the parts together. i think i got really lucky finding that base.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bikeymikey
i think i got really lucky finding that base.
Indeed they seem to be kinda rare and in demand so they're typically "Gone in 60 seconds" at the junkyard.

Curious how they charged you - did you have to pay for the base and then get the bucket seats individually, or were you able to get it in one shot by simply paying for two bucket seats?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
bikeymikey
Senior User
Indeed they seem to be kinda rare and in demand so they're typically "Gone in 60 seconds" at the junkyard.

Curious how they charged you - did you have to pay for the base and then get the bucket seats individually, or were you able to get it in one shot by simply paying for two bucket seats?
good question. i paid 20 for the base, pick n pull in my area charges $13 per track, so they gave me a discount because while the base has two tracks, it's a single assembly.
then i paid $22 for each seat. they charge $35/ front seat w/ tracks. i convinced them to charge me for back seats (no tracks) so i got a better price.
in the end, i probably should have done what was suggested in another thread (if i remember correctly, by you): leave the jumper, field swap the seats, and pay for a regular bench seat: $47. total cost ended up being around $70.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bikeymikey
in the end, i probably should have done what was suggested in another thread (if i remember correctly, by you): leave the jumper, field swap the seats, and pay for a regular bench seat: $47.
Sounds like something I might have suggested, and was along the lines of what I was thinking. Would have been rather challenging to carry though - probably need a buddy or some sort of wheeled assistance. And you'd still be at the mercy of the person at the check-out counter, which I've found can make a world of difference.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM
bikeymikey
Senior User
Sounds like something I might have suggested, and was along the lines of what I was thinking. Would have been rather challenging to carry though - probably need a buddy or some sort of wheeled assistance. And you'd still be at the mercy of the person at the check-out counter, which I've found can make a world of difference.
yes, in fact you started a thread with a picture of just what i found, only yours doesn't have the tracks.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-adapter.html
it definitely pays to be friendly with the checkout person. the only JY experience i have is with Pick-n-Pull, which has a price list they publish on their website. knowing the prices of the various items can help the checkout person give you a better deal. that's how i got the front seats for the price of back seats, because i didn't take the tracks. also being that i live in a pretty large metropolitan area, there are "buddies-for-hire" at the oakland facility. they even come with their own tools!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
bikeymikey
Senior User
report:
so i took it out for a test ride, and here's what i found. where the tracks sit on the base and where the holes are threaded under the seat, when the seat's all the way back it's at the perfect position for me. i'm about 6 feet tall, so if you're taller you'll probably have to tap one of the other holes (on the explorer seats there are four holes on each corner of the seat, one of which is threaded).
also i'm going to have to get that safe/center console soon. i don't like not having arm rests. otherwise, this is one of my favorite mods (one of two, the other being the 3g alt swap)

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
I just found one of the 40/20/40 bucket seat setups in a '95 FlareSide yesterday. Indeed it was very fresh in the junkyard, maybe not even there 24 hours. I don't know if someone was trying to keep me out of it - both doors were locked and the driver side inner handle was gone! So I did the only sensible thing and threw a brake drum through the passenger door window.

I removed the whole assembly from the cab and then field-stripped the seats with it turned upside-down on the ground. 15mm socket needed to remove the four floor-pan fasteners (breaker bar and 6-point socket recommended).

Take note though - the seat to track fasteners are English - 3/8" and 1/2". I almost got screwed here, but my 6-point 10mm and 13mm sockets did the job since they weren't too tight.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
So you didnt take the seats, just the seat pan? Were the seats messed up?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
So you didnt take the seats, just the seat pan? Were the seats messed up?
Yea, the seats were rather skanky so it was an easy decision to leave those behind for dead. I'm interested to see how my Super Cab seats sit on this setup from a height perspective.

Quick Reply: operation bench to bucket