Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Freshman User

Sam Menard is starting off with a positive reputation.
4 x 4 Trouble

I live in Canada. Earlier this winter, I was noticing that my truck (2011 F250 XLT CC) was not engaging, or was reluctant, or delaying going into 4 X 4 with electronic shift on the fly.

I brought the truck back to the dealer and they looked it over and said that Ford put out a bulletin (TSB 2-2-5)and has a fix. Perfect! They did the work, but I'm still experiencing issues. The frustrating part is that the problem is not consistent, so when I went back to the dealer, everything seemed to be fine.

I had more issues today, so I brought my truck back to the dealer and left it there so they can let it sit overnight and check it out in the morning.

Hopefully they can confirm my complaint, diagnose the problem, and fix it. Stay tune!

Sam
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Senior User

JohnnyThunder is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2011 is having issues with 4x4. There is an intermittent loud bang or thump when it goes into 4wd. Mostly only when the temps dip below -10 or so. They changed all the seals etc and fully redid the hubs to no avail and even commented that the front end looks brand new including all the U Joints. So it is going in next week to have the transfer case torn down and rebuilt as they are out of ideas and the service manager and 2 techs were out beating on it Monday as it was -28 here and it did it 12 times in a row then nothing for 6 times then it did it again. Ford engineering is not real helpful either. Good luck getting yours straightened out as well..
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Senior User

RAPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
RAPR
for problems that are not consistent and never occur when bringing it to the dealer, you should try video/sound record the issue with your smart phone when it does happen.

a recording is much more helpful for diagnostics, when verbal explanations just can't cut it.

2011 F-250 CC - 6.2L, 4x4, 3.73, Lariat Ultimate Pkg, ReadyLift 3.5"Fx3.0"R lift kit, 295/70-18 Terra Grapplers
'Capital Campers', give your go some show
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Freshman User

I left the truck overnight at the dealer. They tried it first thing in the morning and confirmed my complaint. They are perplexed about the problem because they did the fix outlined in the TSB. I have an appointment scheduled next week so that they can check it out further. Hopefully they can easily diagnose the problem and get it fixed.

Sam
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Senior User

Slowpoke Slim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Slowpoke Slim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had the same problem here a couple of times with my '12 F250. I think it's also cold related. I haven't really worried about it, as my theory is it's due to the cold temperature of the fluids in the driveline. Most likely it's the temp of the fluid in the front end. The "clunk" comes from the front gears coming up to the same speed as the Tcase and rear end as it all meshes together. I also notice it happening more if I'm turning at the same time the 4wd is engaging.

I may be full of it, it's been known to happen.

I also have issues with the steering being very stiff until the power steering pump warms up for I think the same reason. I also get an annoying "whirring" noise from under the hood at startup. All of this only happens when it's -10 or so or colder outside and on initial startup and drive only.

I guess I'm not entirely sure it's a "problem" per se at all.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
I've had the same problem here a couple of times with my '12 F250. I think it's also cold related. I haven't really worried about it, as my theory is it's due to the cold temperature of the fluids in the driveline. Most likely it's the temp of the fluid in the front end. The "clunk" comes from the front gears coming up to the same speed as the Tcase and rear end as it all meshes together. I also notice it happening more if I'm turning at the same time the 4wd is engaging.
There is no question that is cold related and it is a timing issue with the hubs. When the hubs are locked manually there is no noise ever, it is only in auto mode and IMO and the service managers it is not right. I have driven in a number of these trucks and none of them made the same type of noises so I guess ours are special edition units. Mine is a job 1 2011. I guess we will see what happens after a TCase rebuild next week for this issue. FWIW, they went through all the vacuum timing etc and everything is right by the book on mine for timing and vacuum levels and no vacuum leaks at all.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Posting Guru

Super08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to behold
Mine started doing the same thing just before I traded it in. It has extended warranty so who ever buys it won't have to worry.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Senior User

Well,

Mine was supposed to go in the shop this monday past for a transfer case rebuild, the tech ended up having to take a course so it got pushed back to this monday coming. I will update when I get it back but with the temps on the rise I may not even get to see if it is indeed fixed.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Freshman User

My truck was in the shop yesterday and they discovered that there was a vacume leak around one of the hubs. Parts are on order. Hopefully that fixes the problem. I've had the truck for 3 winters and I've never had 4 X 4 issues until this year.

SAm
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 AM
New User

bearit is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2011 did the same thing here in Yellowknife,-40c for over a month, took it to the dealer found the vacume seals around the hub were afu and it took them over a week to fix it and lasted only about a week before the 4x4 started doing the same thing,does not kick in for about 2 blocks,Just locked the hubs in manual and its fine,will take back to dealer when they have an idea as to what to fix next.
Steve
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearit View Post
My 2011 did the same thing here in Yellowknife,-40c for over a month, took it to the dealer found the vacume seals around the hub were afu and it took them over a week to fix it and lasted only about a week before the 4x4 started doing the same thing,does not kick in for about 2 blocks,Just locked the hubs in manual and its fine,will take back to dealer when they have an idea as to what to fix next.
Steve
Uh-oh, I hope I don't have the same trouble. Sounds like the problem might be hard to fix.

Sam
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior User

Well, I got mine back on Thursday and the service manager said they took out a 2012 and a brand new 13 off the lot and they did exactly the same thing mine does so nothing was done to my truck. Sure seems to me the longer I own this truck that other than the engines and tranny Ford seems to have taken a step backward quality wise with these trucks in order to put all the bells and whistles like the ELD in the truck they cut the quality of good quality parts like the sound system and as it would seem the front axle as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Senior User

6.2gasser is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will jump on board here, mine did the same thing. Very concerning when I was trying to park in a driveway covered with snow that had a steep grade and ice at the beginning of it. Couldn't make it up so I backed up in the street to try it again with a running start. While I was backing up the transfer case was making a noise like the gears were not meshed together and slipping. I took it out of 4X4 backed up more and then re-engaged. That's when i felt and heard a very loud "CLUNK"!! Scared me and everybody I was with. After that it seemed to be okay. I drove it the rest of the weekend in and out of 4X4 with no issues. Just doesn't seem right to me that a brand new truck makes this noise and Ford says it's normal.

2012 F250 XLT,CC, FX4, 6.2L, 3.73
Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Freshman User

Got my truck back from the shop. The vacume problem appears to be fixed. I hope that it's permanent.

Sam
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Freshman User

Glittle is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had the same problems with a 2012. Replacing all the seals related to the vacuum system fixed my issues. I still have a clunk at times, but it always seems to engage now.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM