Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 rebuild advice needed

Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 rebuild advice needed

So, some of you may recall, I picked up a spare 7.3 last year for 100 bucks. After tearing in to the motor, I found 2 pistons melted. No surprise. I bought it with the understanding it didn't run and would need rebuild.

Monday I dropped it off at the machine shop. The guy said it might be possible to hone it out. And then he boiled it. The #2 and #8 cylinders both have melted aluminum stuck to the sides of the cylinder walls. He's talking about rough boring it to get the aluminum off and then looking at going .020 over to clean it up. Possible it might need to go out to .030.

So, would you guys be comfortable with going .020 or even .030 on a 7.3 block and getting the same lifespan out of it as a stock, non-rebuilt motor?

The thing is, I don't need to rebuild this motor. It is more of an insurance policy for my current truck. Also an investment of sorts. I figure if I have a rebuilt motor and find a good deal on a blown motor truck, I could do a quick flip or change out to a dually if needed.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be best to sleeve it imo if you need anymore than 30 thousanths. But yes you can go over 20 or 30 no problem.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
If the subject of sleeving comes up, or anything over .030, the block goes in the scrap pile. I'm not looking to sink thousands into a motor that I don't really need, just want. I figure I can get my 100 bucks back out of the forged rods, heads, and other things that came with it.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm with Cory, 30 thousands is the max I would go for long life and no problems.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Well, between the two of you, I've got some better piece of mind. Being a gasser guy, mostly, I know the Windsor blocks start having cooling issues the closer you get to .060. I just didn't want to throw a bunch of effort at this thing only to have it run hotter than the sun with no good way to keep it cooled down.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keeping it cool wouldnt be the problem, the problem would be if you did bore it out and found any imperfections in the casting, which could be resolved by sleeving. Sleeving is not as costly as you think, but it all depends on what you plan on doing with the engine really.

If you are not concerned about your current engine or having a spare, then i would just part it out personally, or bore it .030 and go with it.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Before you trash the motor simply because it may need .035 bored, if indeed you come to that point, please let me know if you want to sell it, possibly those rods as well.

I'm your Huckleberry.

Preston.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ziggy.
Keeping it cool wouldnt be the problem, the problem would be if you did bore it out and found any imperfections in the casting, which could be resolved by sleeving. Sleeving is not as costly as you think, but it all depends on what you plan on doing with the engine really.

If you are not concerned about your current engine or having a spare, then i would just part it out personally, or bore it .030 and go with it.
I haven't discussed sleeving with the machinist yet. Kinda hoping to avoid that conversation. Like avoiding the elephant in the room. But if it is affordable, I might consider it.

The current engine isn't a huge concern for me. Yes, there are some issues I need to fix. And there was a history of the truck being run with a tuner and no gauges before I bought it. So, I'm naturally concerned that despite all of my hard work and maintenance that previous owners have "clogged my arteries with cholesterol", so to speak, and it could have a heart attack at any time. But I'm also not paranoid enough about it to through 5k into a break glass in case of emergency engine build.

All of that being said, I do see "blown motor" 7.3 trucks moving on CL pretty often and the temptation is always there to pick up a second truck for dirt cheap and drop in a 7.3 built "the way the brotherhood woulda".

Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
Before you trash the motor simply because it may need .035 bored, if indeed you come to that point, please let me know if you want to sell it, possibly those rods as well.

I'm your Huckleberry.

Preston.
Preston, if it comes down to it, I will certainly keep you in mind. I'm sure you could find more use for it than my buddy, whose shop it normally resides in could. He's talked of making a Top Gear-esque coffee table out of it.