1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I have my 1956 ford f100

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:50 PM
capelo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford

The top molding slides into the track under the hood, the middle one was originally stapled to the gravel pan and up against radiator, I used screws to install mine. The third molding goes on the radiator valance and closes the the gap between it and the top of the radiator.
Thank you for your comments, doubt that I have is not where is each seals, my doubts are where they are installed and how they fit in two different ways, some would help image

Old 01-11-2015, 03:58 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Does anyone have a picture showing how these "seal"s'' fit on a '56?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Old 01-12-2015, 03:44 PM
capelo
Elder User
thank you very much for these images, have been of great help

Old 01-25-2015, 05:00 PM
capelo
Elder User
Greetings again, I put pictures of new developments:

Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Looks fantastic, you certainly do beautiful professional work.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
How did you attach your seals? Very Nice work indeed.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Black is beautiful.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM
capelo
Elder User
Axracer to writing this:
I have posted this many times before, but for those who may not have seen it:
The 53-56 hood hinges have a hidden pivot point that tends to freeze up, even on new hinges. The pivot is behind the coil spring and you need to remove the hinges then the springs to access and free it. DO NOT try to repair this with the hinges mouinted to the hood or cowl! Once the hinges are off the truck the springs can be easily removed by hand unless someone has wound them up. To be safe grab the spring with a pair of visegrips and lift off the hook. https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=98142&width=0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=98140&width=0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=98141&width=0
DMAN IT! I can't get the stupid forum to let the picture appear here so you'll have to click on each link SORRY!
The first pic shows the hinge as it looks off the truck. The second picture shows the hinge with the spring removed. Note the short kinda triangular shaped arm behind the spring. The pivot pin with the slot in it that holds the inner end of the coil spring is the problem child. It must be very free moving for the hood to close properly. Test it by pushing on the upper hood attachment arm to move the arms from the shallow "V" to a parallel configuration. Moving this arm to the position shown in the third photo should feely opperate the entire hinge. Work the hinge until it moves freely. Lube all the pivots with a good grade of white chassis grease. Reinstall the spring on the hinge. No special tools should be required do not add any extra tension beyond what is required to hook the end of the spring by hand. Replace the hinges and remount the hood. Test the fit. If the rear of the hood still pops up when closing, move the striker and latch plate at the front of the hood forwards.
I've ridden all the plate and I'm adjusting the hood, I have some questions:
1st. when it's open bell is not subject up, why?
2nd. here is said that the spring is released and placed by hand, no need special tools to give the correct voltage ?.
3rd. I have the fenders located as a front as possible, but the hood still not aligned, that gap minima can be left in the back?
4th. hood straps are adjustable to fit?
_________
_________

Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
Wow! That paint is beautiful!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like black paint. But, it acts like a dust magnet! LOOOOKING GOOOOD! In my best Freddy Prince voice. Jag

Old 02-03-2015, 03:36 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by capelo
Axracer to writing this:
I have posted this many times before, but for those who may not have seen it:
The 53-56 hood hinges have a hidden pivot point that tends to freeze up, even on new hinges. The pivot is behind the coil spring and you need to remove the hinges then the springs to access and free it. DO NOT try to repair this with the hinges mouinted to the hood or cowl! Once the hinges are off the truck the springs can be easily removed by hand unless someone has wound them up. To be safe grab the spring with a pair of visegrips and lift off the hook. https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=98142&width=0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=98140&width=0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=98141&width=0
DMAN IT! I can't get the stupid forum to let the picture appear here so you'll have to click on each link SORRY!
The first pic shows the hinge as it looks off the truck. The second picture shows the hinge with the spring removed. Note the short kinda triangular shaped arm behind the spring. The pivot pin with the slot in it that holds the inner end of the coil spring is the problem child. It must be very free moving for the hood to close properly. Test it by pushing on the upper hood attachment arm to move the arms from the shallow "V" to a parallel configuration. Moving this arm to the position shown in the third photo should feely opperate the entire hinge. Work the hinge until it moves freely. Lube all the pivots with a good grade of white chassis grease. Reinstall the spring on the hinge. No special tools should be required do not add any extra tension beyond what is required to hook the end of the spring by hand. Replace the hinges and remount the hood. Test the fit. If the rear of the hood still pops up when closing, move the striker and latch plate at the front of the hood forwards.
I've ridden all the plate and I'm adjusting the hood, I have some questions:
1st. when it's open bell is not subject up, why?
2nd. here is said that the spring is released and placed by hand, no need special tools to give the correct voltage ?.
3rd. I have the fenders located as a front as possible, but the hood still not aligned, that gap minima can be left in the back?
4th. hood straps are adjustable to fit?
_________
_________
any comments

Old 02-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Have you adjusted the firewall to radiator panel rods?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:43 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by Normalbloke
Have you adjusted the firewall to radiator panel rods?
yes, I've adjusted, I put the fenders, as far forward as possible, but still I'm having trouble adjusting the corners of the hood, the passenger side'm missing about 5 millimeters and the driver's side the probelama is that the corner bell stays high and I can not lower it

Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
What about the rods under the hood itself? When you say the 'bell' which part are you referring to? ( apologies for not quite understanding!) do you have a photo of the mis fit?

Quick Reply: I have my 1956 ford f100