Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stinky's Stick Stories - Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Stinky's Stick Stories - Stage II

For those of you just joining what has been dubbed “The Adventures Of Stinky” (PS SD upgrades), I installed re-manufactured Stage II injectors five months ago and I've had a series of bad luck, bad wrench-turning, and bad parts since then. Five months under the hood... pleh. I was almost done installing plumbing and making a sign for under the hood (Hotel Stinkafornia), when it all finally came together.

After firing Stinky up for the first time with the latest repairs (brand new cups and injectors), all I had left to do was to install the valve covers and air system. It usually takes me about an hour to do this, but I was battle-weary. I had emerged victorious from the protracted war... but not without sacrificing meat, mentality, and 'munition (for the Buck$Zooka). I felt like Genghis Khan... wiping the blood from my knuckles, surveying the carcasses of my fallen enemies (remans) - their life blood still oozing out, Buck$Zooka at my side – still smoldering, and a plethora of weapons of war (tools) littering the battlefield (workbench). Even he must have needed a moment of rest before the plundering process. I took three days to button Stinky up.

I finally started Stinky a second time, to back him out of the garage. No Frankenstinky, no Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on steroids, no smoke signals to the neighboring planets... just a metronomic idle with hair on its chest. Ah... now I can hear my money under the hood: It never left me, it just took a new form that I can enjoy for years to come. It's difficult to express how nice it was to see my old friend Stinky again. It was like he was just sitting there on the porch, whistling his favorite tune. What I heard was “Hey bud, long time no see. Wanna go for a ride?” Smile and a sigh. I thought you'd never ask... again.

My first drive to work with the completed repairs had me listening to every nuance under the hood... anticipating a hiccup, belch, fart, bang, or some other reason to pop those cursed valve covers yet again. Nothing but an authoritative drone met my ears and silky shifts met my back for 20 miles. Stinky was murmuring “Nothing to see here, move along.” I complied. I cranked up the tunes... for the first time in five months: “Steve McQueen” by Cheryl Crow.

Just chillin', and charging my Chi.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear it Rich. Sending a good job pat on the back your way.

Btw, my heart sank quite a bit when I saw you post a new thread. It's a conditioned response that I'm looking forward to changing

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stinky Wins

Nice to hear.
My turn is coming.

I will follow your example. Forget everything done in the past and start with the basic trouble shooting.
Like I said, compression check, fuel pressure check, coolant system pressure check. etc.

Will be home in two weeks to start the search.

Will post results.

Good for you that you stayed in there to find the answer.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Glad to hear it Rich. Sending a good job pat on the back your way.

Btw, my heart sank quite a bit when I saw you post a new thread. It's a conditioned response that I'm looking forward to changing
Great to hear, Rich. I truly hope you get to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Crank that chip all the way up and burn some rubber already!

PS. Congrats buddy. You got yours up and running, and I tore down my spare...now just to find a machine shop that I trust to clean it up and hone the block a bit, seriously needs it. Oh well, a spare engine for next to nothing, and I think all it needs to be a runner is a o ring.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
WHHEEE, finally

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyd61
WHHEEE, finally
Amen to that. Great to hear things finally worked out.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Dang. I had a whole bowl of popcorn all popped up and reclined in my chair before I opened the thread.

Seriously, glad to hear Stinky's out on the road again.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
gradyc
wellhead
What!! No more short stories...Great to hear ya got stinky fixed.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Chris123NT
Senior User
Glad to hear everything is good now. I have to admit, after your previous thread when I saw this one I said to myself oh no he's having more bad luck? Glad to see I was wrong.

Good luck with it and enjoy actually driving it lol.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Good luck with it. I'm glad it all worked out. Nice feeling isn't it. I guess you're liking those tunes also.

Chet

Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear things have come together for you Rich. Now its time to enjoy!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Excellent!

Now we want to hear that "cold start" video!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Nice job Rich! Time to enjoy burnin the ricers again.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Excellent!

Now we want to hear that "cold start" video!
x2

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks guys! My grand master scheme was to report the results of sticking up here, but I couldn't go on without at least letting you know it's fixed because of all the helpful input, wrench-turning, well-wishing and good Karma sent my way.

I "snuck" into the driveway when I came home yesterday. My wife came out to investigate a low rumble she heard and was shocked to see it was Stinky making that quiet power. She had a huge grin and said "WOW! You did good. Stinky sounds wonderful!" Now she understands why I've been fighting this for so long... she really likes the results. We are in total agreement about what comes next: Road trip! It will be a while, though... our work schedules are all messed up. I may have time to replace my cracked windshield before the trip (winters do that here).

2000ca250 - I escaped Hotel Stinkafornia... you're next. Let me know when you're ready for a hand.

Quick Reply: Stinky's Stick Stories - Stage II