Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Saw the ultimate V-10!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 05:56 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

I stopped by the local truck suspension shop the other day, going to have some leaf springs added to the rear. When I was there they had a 2002 excursion in the bay putting a 8 inch lift on it. The shop mechanic was telling me that the excursion belonged to a friend of his and that the V-10 in it was the most powerful street legal truck engine he ever saw. He didn't know how much hp or torque it had but he told me that it was rebuilt by an aftermarket supertuner down in Virginia. The cylinders were bored out increasing displacement from 418 cu. in. to around 520 cu. in.. The whole thing was rebuilt with high perforance parts (I'm not a motorhead, I don't remember what parts were replaced). The Excursion also had twin turbos installed on it. The thing was Bodacious. I would have loved to know what kind of power the thing put out. The whole engine rebuild and turbo addition cost the guy $45,0000. I saw the engine it was all chromed out, obviously going to be a show truck. For some reason I don't think he'll ever get his money back out of it though.
$45 grand plus the Excursion was a limited edition, what's that $50,000? Plus the guy will add all those high end stereo/video equipment. That's over a $100,000. I rather buy a house!

Old 06-04-2003, 10:09 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Some people just have more money than they know what to do with. I wish I had that problem.

Old 06-27-2003, 02:48 PM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Actually, that should read "Some people just have more dollars than they have sense". I am sure that a bunch of his parts had to be custom made, as there just arent that many internal performance parts out there for the V10 yet. Most everything is bolt on right now.

Old 06-27-2003, 11:58 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Saw the ultimate V-10!

Originally posted by bigdmizer
That's over a $100,000. I rather buy a house!
No kidding. If I had that kind of $$ to sink into vehicles, I think I'd just keep my Excursion stock and use the $45 grand to buy a nice sportscar to go fast in!

Old 06-28-2003, 03:27 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

>>>"as there just arent that many internal performance parts out there for the V10 yet. Most everything is bolt on right now."

I disagree. You just need to know what to ask for, remember the V10 is a modular engine. It shares alot of parts that are found in the V8 arena.

Check the motor this guy is building: http://www.prolynx.com/atomheart/galaxie.htm

I know it isn't the best organized site but he has a addiction to power we all share.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:41 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Well, I gotta admit, I didnt know there was that much out there. I guess the only custom made parts are the pistons from what he says on his site. Wonder what he is using as far as a camshaft goes. Didnt see that on there. $531.00 for a V10 block? That sounds awful cheap to me, I might have to check that one out. I've got visions in my head right now of a brand new custom V10 dropped down in a '68 Mustang coupe I have sitting in my garage. That would be BIG FUN!!!!

Old 06-28-2003, 08:27 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

I'm sur eit's the factory crank. I guess if you got a dream you can have it built custom!! There's an engine on EBAY that was pulled due to a knock, guy wants $650. There is one with 25k for $2000 was running when pulled.
Don't forget that WHIPPLE sitting on top would be sweet!!
There are so many options and such little money..............

Old 06-28-2003, 09:25 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Yeah, what is the old saying, "A fine wine mind and a well water wallet"?

Old 07-15-2003, 07:21 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Twin turbo V-10.......ahhhhhh
one can only dream......

Old 07-16-2003, 12:10 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Originally posted by airtractrdrivr
Well, I gotta admit, I didnt know there was that much out there. I guess the only custom made parts are the pistons from what he says on his site. Wonder what he is using as far as a camshaft goes. Didnt see that on there. $531.00 for a V10 block? That sounds awful cheap to me, I might have to check that one out. I've got visions in my head right now of a brand new custom V10 dropped down in a '68 Mustang coupe I have sitting in my garage. That would be BIG FUN!!!!
There's a V-10 Mustang already running around somewhere. Saw it a couple years ago, it was a real job getting it in, but it did get done although they guy left it completely stock. Ford's 427 show car had a 575 HP 7 liter V-10 in it at the Auto shows this year. If I remember it was normally aspirated.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:58 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Originally posted by HeavyAssault
I'm sur eit's the factory crank.
I think he meant cam, but the factory crank is already a steel unit (split pin).

As for the cams, you can always have a stock set reground. Crane used to do it, I'm sure they still do. If not, I'm sure someone out there does it for a reasonable price...

After a regrind, you need to take up the slack with a bigger tappet/remachined rocker arm/whatever, because the back end of the cam is actually smaller after a regrind.

ak

Old 07-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Don't know if their tooling will accept the 5 cylinder cams but a couple of companys will cut any profile cam you can describe. They are very good at taking all your mechanical engine specs and computer designing a profile that will get pretty close to the HP and Torqe curves you might want.

The regrind Kerwat is talking about is still done, but a custom cam is the preferable way to go as they are not that much more expensive.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:36 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Originally posted by Fredvon4
Don't know if their tooling will accept the 5 cylinder cams but a couple of companys will cut any profile cam you can describe. They are very good at taking all your mechanical engine specs and computer designing a profile that will get pretty close to the HP and Torqe curves you might want.
You might find they wouldn't touch a V10 cam though. Chevy, SB Ford, yes. They might want to "experiment" on you But you are correct. I'd like to see them do it for a Triumph TR7 cam. I had a regrind done on one, think it was through Crane...

The regrind Kerwat is talking about is still done, but a custom cam is the preferable way to go as they are not that much more expensive.
That must be the second or third time you called me "Kerwat" on this site ... Look at my handle ... no offense, I'm amused if anything.... most people go "how do you spell that?" and then STILL can't get it right even after I spell it out SLOWLY "K...R...E...W...A...T"...

ak

Old 07-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Sorry Kreway, I mean krawit, crap KREWAT ......there it is, this damn Army laptop has most of the letters worn off and I never was a toucj , I mean touch typist!!!! Just kidding

Actually I wish you had pointed it out sooner, my feeble brain must have transposed your screen name into the KER from KRE. In fact I had to do a double take cuz I did not get your observation at first.

I sure hope this isn't on the list of "old timers" cuz at 48 I can't remember all the warning signs!

Old 07-19-2003, 08:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Saw the ultimate V-10!

Originally posted by Fredvon4
Sorry Kreway, I mean krawit, crap KREWAT ......there it is, this damn Army laptop has most of the letters worn off and I never was a toucj , I mean touch typist!!!! Just kidding

Actually I wish you had pointed it out sooner, my feeble brain must have transposed your screen name into the KER from KRE. In fact I had to do a double take cuz I did not get your observation at first.

I sure hope this isn't on the list of "old timers" cuz at 48 I can't remember all the warning signs!
Hey, when I was in school, it was kre-****... so, no biggee!