5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

Which is better 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 PM
mn64falcon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in the same dilemma back in late 2012 on whether to get a 5.0 F150 or the Ecoboost F150. We ended up buying a 2013 F150 Ecoboost CC 4x4 Tow Package and have not regretted since.

The torque on the Ecoboost is unbelievable, we tow a 24 ft 10,000 lb Car Hauler and it he no problem even in the mountains...the power is there. The 5.0 would've struggled with this kind of weight under tow. When not towing, we have gotten as high as 26mpg.

Can't say enough about the truck!

Mike
64 Falcon Futura Sports Convertible | 62 Falcon Futura Sports Sedan
48 F1 Truck | 51 F1 Truck

Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM
tomclem1
New User
Personally I feel both engines are not realistic for a 1/2 ton truck. I've driven both and I want to like these engines but the Ecoboost is a small engine made to work harder than it should. The 5.0 is a "middle of the road" engine, good for the mustang but weak for a truck owner that wants HP/torque with displacement. I say this b/c I've driven it enought to experience the "seat of your pants" experience is at higher RPMs, not down low. Those that love their 5.0s I know you disagree and that's OK. It's just my opinion after driving several models. Those of us that want HP/torque in a naturally aspirated V8 engine for the 1/2 ton truck by Ford are still yearning for something more. The 6.2 in the F150 was the bomb IMHO. Too bad it didn't stay around long enough. If I had to choose one of the two available I would probably go 5.0 as I don't feel comfortable with a V6 and turbo for a truck

Old 02-13-2015, 03:27 PM
9299Fords
Senior User
Originally Posted by tomclem1
Personally I feel both engines are not realistic for a 1/2 ton truck. I've driven both and I want to like these engines but the Ecoboost is a small engine made to work harder than it should. The 5.0 is a "middle of the road" engine, good for the mustang but weak for a truck owner that wants HP/torque with displacement. I say this b/c I've driven it enought to experience the "seat of your pants" experience is at higher RPMs, not down low. Those that love their 5.0s I know you disagree and that's OK. It's just my opinion after driving several models. Those of us that want HP/torque in a naturally aspirated V8 engine for the 1/2 ton truck by Ford are still yearning for something more. The 6.2 in the F150 was the bomb IMHO. Too bad it didn't stay around long enough. If I had to choose one of the two available I would probably go 5.0 as I don't feel comfortable with a V6 and turbo for a truck

You may be looking for an f250 or bigger. The f150 is by definition a light duty pickup. I don't believe it's got any place in the world of pulling 10,000 lb.s or more for very many miles at a time. I pull horses and hay and purchased a power stroke for doing it. I live at 6250 elevation and pull over passes of 8,000 and up. I don't know that I'd trust either engine for this even though the specs say it will do it.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:26 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tomclem1
Fair enough, but as the poster below said, they are light duty trucks. That is why I prefer the 5.0. Especially now that the hp is up and the weight is down. If you want a heavy hauler, power stroke it. If you want an occasional heavy hauler, the EB might be for you. 2 cents worth.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Ottawasteve
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been having a really difficult time getter getting accurate information from salesman about the 3.5 eco vs. 5.0 towing configurations.

First dealership told me that in a tow package or HD payload an eco was the only option. Phoned ahead to 2nd dealership to give a heads up that I wanted to know the physical differences between a 3.5 with Max Tow Pkg vs. a 5.0 with HD Payload and Tow Pkg. Arrived to be told max configuration for towing with 5.0 was 9,000 lbs and the Eco could tow 3,000 lbs more than a 5.0L. I pointed out the opposite in the Ford brochures and was told the brochures were wrong. After another 45 minutes of erroneous information, we finally determined that there was "probably" only about 100 lbs difference in tow capacity between the tow packages. I asked the salesman to check with Ford and get back to me as I would like to be sure because I am looking for a new truck because I was not aware of the HD payload package when I ordered my 2010 and had I been aware I would not be looking for a new truck now. I am going to another dealership on the weekend to hopefully get some clear information. Unfortunately the salesman I bought my 2010 from has retired. Does anybody know of any salesmen/dealerships in the Ottawa, Ontario area that know something about 2015 F150's ?

I also noted in the brochure that the Tow and Max Tow Packages and HD Payload Packages require a supplementary oil cooler only with the Eco. Is this something new for 2015 ?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Ford F-150 | View Towing Specifications | Ford.ca

5.0 16,200 lbs GCWR
3.5 Eco 17,100 lbs GCWR

Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve
I have been having a really difficult time getter getting accurate information from salesman about the 3.5 eco vs. 5.0 towing configurations.

First dealership told me that in a tow package or HD payload an eco was the only option. Phoned ahead to 2nd dealership to give a heads up that I wanted to know the physical differences between a 3.5 with Max Tow Pkg vs. a 5.0 with HD Payload and Tow Pkg. Arrived to be told max configuration for towing with 5.0 was 9,000 lbs and the Eco could tow 3,000 lbs more than a 5.0L. I pointed out the opposite in the Ford brochures and was told the brochures were wrong. After another 45 minutes of erroneous information, we finally determined that there was "probably" only about 100 lbs difference in tow capacity between the tow packages. I asked the salesman to check with Ford and get back to me as I would like to be sure because I am looking for a new truck because I was not aware of the HD payload package when I ordered my 2010 and had I been aware I would not be looking for a new truck now. I am going to another dealership on the weekend to hopefully get some clear information. Unfortunately the salesman I bought my 2010 from has retired. Does anybody know of any salesmen/dealerships in the Ottawa, Ontario area that know something about 2015 F150's ?

I also noted in the brochure that the Tow and Max Tow Packages and HD Payload Packages require a supplementary oil cooler only with the Eco. Is this something new for 2015 ?
My favorite joke "The salesman said...." LMAO. You can get better information asking your toilet....sad, but somewhat true. I recommend going to Ford.com and build your truck for what you want. The information is good, but I find it hard to believe the brochure is wrong. Really?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Hillboy700
New User
Yup ecoboost

Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
My favorite joke "The salesman said...." LMAO. You can get better information asking your toilet....sad, but somewhat true. I recommend going to Ford.com and build your truck for what you want. The information is good, but I find it hard to believe the brochure is wrong. Really?
I have owned both and loved the 5.0 because of sound and quick off throttle response but towing the 5.0 sucked bad. Man that motor going over the pass was working its *** off. Now with the ecoboost same trailer it stays in 6th gear and keeps pulling.
Daily drive no towing 5.0 all day long what a fun engine that was but I tow a 4 place horse trailer and an enclosed 4 place sled trailer do no go on the 5.0 it would have worn out plus I blew the rearend out once so traded at 36001

Old 06-27-2015, 08:16 PM
gn4life
New User
Good info in this thread. Had the 5.0 vs eco boost debate with my buddy today. May be in the market for one soon.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Scum Frg
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I opted to go with the 5.0 over the EcoBoost even though we bought used, we had the option in different trucks.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Lovrek
New User
Better yet, wait a year and get the best of both worlds with the new EcoBoost 5.0 V8

The 2018 F-150 Raptor will become the beneficiary of the coming EcoBoost 5.0 V8, and we may even see the V8 make its way into the truck for the 2017 debut.
“The Raptor, packaged with the EcoBoost 5.0 V8, will be irresistible – and Ford knows it.”

“The EcoBoost 5.0 V8 program has been under development for a several years, and first made its public appearance in the Cobra Jet program in late-2012. The underlying purpose of the EcoBoost V8 project was to power the next-gen GT500. The 5.2L FPC program contributed to delaying the 5.0 EcoBoost program, but this V8 Twin-Turbo program is now on track again, and will make its debut in the next GT500 and 2018 F-150 Raptor, and could possibly become a second-motor option for the 2017 model year Raptor”
We are also told that the new 10-speed automatic transmission that will be found in the 2016 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Raptor will be the same transmission utilized in the V8 Raptor, whether it goes on sale as a 2017 model year, or 2018.
“The Raptor will ultimately be a two-motor truck – that was the plan all along – much like you have the option for the EcoBoost V6 or 5.0 V8 in other F-150 models. Ford knows there is a market for both powertrains, and wants to capitalize in both realms. Ford is really pushing the V6 EcoBoost program, and thought it was a great opportunity to debut both the Ford GT and Raptor with the 3.5L EcoBoost platform in Detroit, but make no mistake that the Twin Turbo V8 is on its way – I’m just not sure if we will see it in the 2017 Raptor, or the 2018.”
What is really interesting, we are told – is that this Twin-Turbo V8 could possibly make its way into other models of the Ford lineup. What could Ford stuff the EcoBoost V8 into, aside from the GT500 and Raptor?
“Ford has thrown quite a bit of resources and R&D into this V8 EcoBoost program, so don’t be surprised if you see it in other vehicles within Ford Performance in the future.”
My guess is that we will see the motor in other F-150 models, such as the FX4, Lariat and Platinum – possibly even the Super Duty models as an alternative to the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 PM
NCMillwright
Senior User
i have a 14' 5.0 and i love it. i work on the road so i travel a lot. im from NC and pulled a camper down to wetumpka, AL for a job. truck was bone stock.the camper was maxing at around 12.5k lbs. i didnt have to get on it very much. i used cruise just about the whole way except for more rolling highway sections. now the truck has 6"RC, 35s and 456 gears, alloy shafts, programmer, and a few other things. a week ago i had to load the bed down with 2100lbs of plate steel in the back (gusset material) and take to an offsite warehouse. truck didnt even notice it. i was skeptical about the weight at first.

also the ecoboost motors are good. but you cant really compare a turbo'd motor to a non turbo'd. throw a turbo, twin turbo kit, or supercharger on the 5.0 and youre golden. im planning to put a supercharger on mine and possibly turbo that setup as well

Old 03-26-2017, 02:25 AM
RepoTech
Freshman User
How long do you want to keep the truck for? The Eco's are a great balance of power vs fuel economy, but I wouldn't trust them over 5 years or 150k. I've seen some of those turbo engines torn apart in pieces. The new 5.0 is faster in my opinion. It may last longer, i'm not sure.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 PM
clydesride
Senior User
Well I read the entire thread and wanted to add my observations...

I have had the 3.5EB since new in my 2012 and have just over 300,000 km on it and it still runs well. I had some early intercooler issues that were fixed with an updated unit and it has been ok since.

I have been pondering a new truck and have considered what to get... I think of a few things I would want that would be different, shorter wheelbase would be better (the super crew 6.5 bed is a long beast) back up camera would have saved me a few in and outs when hooking up a trailer, and some engine brake would be nicer than the coast style that the EB offers. I would also prefer a little more response from the throttle as the turbo lag has occasionally made me wonder where "the juice" was.

I am a little torn because obviously it looks like I am leaning toward a 5.0 supercab but my EB has been pretty darn reliable, except for those few points I mentioned...

Will try both (the 2.7 is supposed to be ok but too small for me and still lag and even less engine brake) and see what feels better... that EB is a good engine I can say but the V8 will sound like a beast hehe.

I admit I looked at Dodge but not a good fit and they still dont make em tough enough tranny or rear end wise and I have no idea how long the 5.7 would run? The GM has several things I don't like including over stretched and thinner leaf springs ( I spoke with a spring guy when I had mine boosted with another leaf for load capacity who told me broken springs were over 2 to 1 with GM vs the others) and a few other issues.

Ford it will be, supercab, 4x4, heated seats and wheel for my old carcass and a back up cam... engine choice to follow.

My $.02 (or was that enough for $.03?)