Sponsored by: Moser

The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread

I have been posting most of my projects that I have done to my truck on this forum for a few years and I have been somewhat scattered on my postings so I decided to just make one thread for everything I do to Candy Cane. Its a good referance for me as well as anyone else looking for information, tips and guidelines.

Just some brief history (For those new to the forum) I purchased my truck in 2006 on an accidental Craigs List find. I saw it and I just had to have it. It was my High School dream truck, I still have my school binder that says "78 Ford 4x4 Rules!" Although my truck is a 79 I wrote that in late 78 so close enough. My father in law gave me a ride to Lake County (About 130 miles from home) and I paid cash sight unseen. I drove it home and parked in my driveway and left about 2 to 3 quarts of oil on my driveway by the next day.

When I brought it home my wife and kids called it Candy Cane because of the combination Red and White two tone paint. I'm not a big fan of the name but since my lovely wife is the best mother to our children and I love her with all my heart the name stuck.

Here's the original Craigs List add photo taken by the PO.

Since then I have done,
-Replaced top end of the engine (Temp Fix)
-Replaced the engine
-Repaint
-Lift Kit
-Tires,Rims
-Replaced/Repaired interior
-Repaired electrical

I have done countless small to medium sized projects over the years some are posted on the forum. For the first few years I mostly fixed all the leaks and did some minor repairs and upgrades, it was only the last 4 years that I really started to put some serious dough and countless hours into it. Working on my truck has given me focus on a goal and a hobby (Besides working my butt off and raising a family) I really enjoy working on the truck and making improvements. I am also a Snap On Tool junkie, have been for 30 years so it's a great excuse to use the tools that I have collected over the years. My Snap On Tool dealer would agree....

Here's a photo of what Candy Cane looks like TODAY!

Candy Cane is a pretty truck which is the way I want it. I will (And have) taken it out off road but she's not a beater. I will actually get out of my truck to cut branches or clear brush so not to damage the paint. I turn heads with Candy Cane and start conversations almost daily. With the exception of a few modern upgrades the look for my truck is original and period correct as if I walked into the showroom back in 1979 and ordered a 79 F350 Lariat 4x4 with a lift kit.

I have meet some great people here on this forum that share the same passion as I have on these wonderful trucks. You guys are great!

I'll start with what I did today. The new back bumper with the universal mounting brackets didn't quite fit. The bumper sat a tad too low and stuck out. You know what they say about universal fit, they will universally fit nothing.

Before.

I used my new lift to get an exact position for the bumper and made my marks on the brackets and drilled new holes.

Now the bumper sits true and correct.

I ordered some POR 15 to start work on the frame and axels. Also ordered a LED strip to make some courtesy lights and instrument panel lights similar to Ranger429's work. (Thanks Ranger for the great Idea!)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Looking good as always! Looking forward to seeing the lighting project.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Candy Cane

looks great Steve Eye Candyclassic!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never owned a 4x4 pick up or ever really needed one, but every time I see Candy Cane I start thinking about one. That's one beautiful rig!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Once again Steve, you make some of us jealous. Love the truck, and look forward to seeing the end result.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutly love this Truck!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Strange welds on my frame

I have these strange welds just above the rear axle as if there was a 5th wheel installed or even a tow truck bed. Also the last few inches of my frame on the back is cut off. I checked with the PO and he said that the first owner didn't have anything done to the truck ether. Could this have been a factory goof? It's not a big deal, just one of those things.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My random shot in the dark guess for that would be the truck was rear ended at one point, and the frame tweaked up at those welds. For repair they just cut the back damaged parts off, beat the frame back into shape, and welded patch/reinforcement panels in.

But like i said, thats a total shot in the dark. Theres not enough there to have been a 5th wheel or wreaker body

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400
Looking good as always! Looking forward to seeing the lighting project.
Originally Posted by lafermedavid
looks great Steve Eye Candyclassic!
Originally Posted by VocaTexas
That's one beautiful rig!
Originally Posted by jgavac
Once again Steve, you make some of us jealous. Love the truck, and look forward to seeing the end result.
Originally Posted by highoctane74
Absolutly love this Truck!
I can't agree more. Love it.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like somebody may have had a gooseneck hitch installed at one time. I don't have a good close-up of mine, but I could get one if wanted. Here's the best I can do right now. In this view you can see the channel iron welded across the top of the frame for the hitch.

Not sure about the rear frame trimming, unless it was done to make an aftermarket or custom bumper fit.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
TexinCali
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,
Always love seeing pics of your rig, one of favorite color combos. And Hey that shop is not to shabby either

Well done!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
willh108
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love seeing pics of your truck! And very glad that your making this thread, i'm buying my grandpa's old '79 f250 (original owner so i'm glad to be keeping it in the family). but it's a candy cane of sorts itself, (all red body and white cab from the bed up). But i'll definitely be dropping in to see what's going on with your truck!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
NBC -

Ever get that fuel tank shield installed? Just curious.

Btw, that E-Street EFI I ordered back in December is back-ordered until mid-April.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I'll keep all of you posted on my progress and provide lots of eye candy.

HIO, Funny you should mention that. I just received my POR 15 today from Summit and the shroud is at the shop on a cart ready to prep this week. I plan on installing it on Sunday if my weekend plans go well and I'll post my progress.

Texincali, Thanks for the shop complements. I let my minor case of OCD go crazy there and I like to keep it clean and organized. The drawback to it is I live 30 minutes away so I don't do all of my projects at the shop.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Ronzi
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Check your vin number Steve. My truck is a 1979 F350 4x4 as well but my vin starts with F38 which means it was a cab & chassis truck. My truck does have a reg bed on it now but the rear of the frame is a lil jacked up like yours and looks to be cut off short as well like yours. I had to get creative to make my frame mounted Reese hitch work.
Just a thought

Quick Reply: The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread