1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Quick update. I received the correct hubs and got them installed.

I also received my new door panels from DC. I removed my old Lariat inserts and I will take them with the new panels to the upholstery shop to have the inserts fixed and properly installed on the new panels.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
Quick update. I received the correct hubs and got them installed.

I also received my new door panels from DC. I removed my old Lariat inserts and I will take them with the new panels to the upholstery shop to have the inserts fixed and properly installed on the new panels.
I feel a 1st place trophy coming sometime soon!!!!

Lets hope for the best at your next show!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:31 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
I feel a 1st place trophy coming sometime soon!!!!

Lets hope for the best at your next show!
Thanks Aaron!

I have been hard at work lately, October and November are busy moths for me however I did manage to get the inserts fixed and and the door panels installed.

This winter I will have a lot of small things to fix plus a few big things I will need to address one of them being my clutch replacement. I have a 11" clutch and I'm suppose to have the 12". I have collected all the parts I need including the correct (Ever so elusive) rare fly wheel. I have my lift at my shop but I need a heavy duty transmission stand but I don't want to spend the bucks for a one (or even 2 or 3) shot project so I have been surfing CL for any really good deals.

Another problem I noticed was my left front axle has a lot of movement on the inside of the U joint on the axle tube. Time for me to hit the books to find out whats there. Any thoughts guys?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:03 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
f3504x4

sharp Steve,,I think the one turbo metioned at hf,,cheap but gets the job done.tranny jack

Old 11-01-2014, 12:26 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by lafermedavid
sharp Steve,,I think the one turbo metioned at hf,,cheap but gets the job done.tranny jack
Yeah I have been considering that option as well. I just hate working on my back with heavy stuff and I will probably be working alone. I also wanted to replace the seals on the T18 and T-Case. In all the years of wrenching on these trucks I have never worked on the tranny or T-case. I don't even know how heavy it is although it looks like it will squash some limbs if I'm not careful. As HIO would say, time to get creative!

Anybody have any experience on this?

Old 11-01-2014, 01:01 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
trans and t/c

novack has your seal kits for tranny,pretty basic,,,and I went with NWF seal and gasket kit for np 205 again pretty simple,remove nut from yokes ,star washer ,,,replace seals,install gasket using black rtv,,plenty of folks here to help. plus NWF has some instruction step by step stuff

Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah I have been considering that option as well. I just hate working on my back with heavy stuff and I will probably be working alone. I also wanted to replace the seals on the T18 and T-Case. In all the years of wrenching on these trucks I have never worked on the tranny or T-case. I don't even know how heavy it is although it looks like it will squash some limbs if I'm not careful. As HIO would say, time to get creative!

Anybody have any experience on this?
Yeah I would say that but after a coupla weekends ago pulling a 4WD NP435 and NP205 T-case from the yard (Pick' and pullin'), they are frickin' heavy so I'd definitely get the HF trans jack per turbohunter's recommendation. He has the 450 lb version - about $90.

Transmission Jack - 450 Lb. Capacity

NP205 !!!!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:52 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Yeah I would say that but after a coupla weekends ago pulling a 4WD NP435 and NP205 T-case from the yard (Pick' and pullin'), they are frickin' heavy so I'd definitely get the HF trans jack per turbohunter's recommendation. He has the 450 lb version - about $90.

Transmission Jack - 450 Lb. Capacity

NP205 !!!!
Good score HIO! Did you have to wrangle that yourself at the JY?

Old 11-01-2014, 04:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Good score HIO! Did you have to wrangle that yourself at the JY?
Sure did. I thought it was a 203 at first... then I scraped the tag and.. WOOHOOOO!

You shouldda seen the contraption I came up with to secure the tranny while the t-case dropped out... I brought some rope and fashioned a sling for trans using a driveshaft laying around and spanned it btwn the dash and the back window opening. I pushed and pulled the t-case on top of a coupla stacked tires before getting it on the ground. I supported the engine with a steering shaft spanned btwn the donor's radius arms.

I recalled turbohunter swapped in a 205 and gave him a call... he recommended to also grab the trans because 4WD NPs are different than 2WD NPs.... 2.5 hours later and both were on the cart going home with me. 'glad it was a cool day.

Get the tranny jack. I could barely lift these things into my S'crew. Lemme know if you need a hand... I'll wrench with you anytime brother. All ya gotta do is feed me.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:43 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 on the tranny jack man! Believe me it makes it so much easier to get out and especially back in. Ever remove an e4od? Those *******s are heavy. A tranny jack made life easy.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:58 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys
Just back from Montana.
X3 Steve, I would do it on the ground with the jack.
Those damn things are so heavy I wouldn't want to work with it on a lift unless you had all the right tools for high work.
With it on the ground you can't drop it to far. And sitting under the truck gives you some support with the ground.
Also with that jack you can strap the tranny to the jack for an extra hand.
Wish I was up there to help.
Good luck pal.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
OK Guy's, you convinced me. Thanks for your tips on this. You guys totally rock! I have to get the replacement flywheel surfaced and a new throw out bearing not to mention the seal kits for the T18 and T-Case. I hope to get it started sometime this winter.

Welcome back home Marc!

HIO, I may take you up on your offer if you are available.

Here's some latest pix of a little off road trip not too far from home just to keep things interesting.

Its tarantula mating season here, time for these guys to roam the range for the potentially deadly encounter.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pictures like these make me hate living where I do and want to move South.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Sure did. I thought it was a 203 at first... then I scraped the tag and.. WOOHOOOO!

You shouldda seen the contraption I came up with to secure the tranny while the t-case dropped out... I brought some rope and fashioned a sling for trans using a driveshaft laying around and spanned it btwn the dash and the back window opening. I pushed and pulled the t-case on top of a coupla stacked tires before getting it on the ground. I supported the engine with a steering shaft spanned btwn the donor's radius arms.

I recalled turbohunter swapped in a 205 and gave him a call... he recommended to also grab the trans because 4WD NPs are different than 2WD NPs.... 2.5 hours later and both were on the cart going home with me. 'glad it was a cool day.

Get the tranny jack. I could barely lift these things into my S'crew. Lemme know if you need a hand... I'll wrench with you anytime brother. All ya gotta do is feed me.
A real quick side note from this thread....

What is a NP205 worth with a T-18 married collar to boot?

I picked up a 205 and married housing for $100 a few months ago and I'm debating turning it over for some profit if I can make a decent buck off of it.

Sorry to highjack your thread steve!

Great pictures btw. I'd post up some pics of the Canadian Praries, but you would like them. We're flatter than flat.

That ol' saying "you can see your dog run away for 3 days" is certainly true in Saskatchewan.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:22 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
A real quick side note from this thread....

What is a NP205 worth with a T-18 married collar to boot?
The prices vary depending on what the seller knows.
I picked a 205 up for a hundred bucks in Vegas from a house that was a jy in its own right. But I was lucky.
At the pick n pulls here in Cali they can whack you for them 'cause they know there is a vibrant off road market and they are in demand.
I think HIO just picked up a trans and tc for 350ish.
That's a good deal out here.
On ebay the adapters are 50-65 apiece.

Sorry Steve, back to your truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread