Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Westcoast Highboy
Tuned
Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
Because pulling off the rad cap on a hot engine is a great idea...
The generally accepted procedure (which I expect was done in this case ) is to remove the rad cap while the engine is cold, insert the thermometer and fire up the engine. The system will not pressurize if the radiator cap is removed while the engine is still cold.

Once the engine is fired up, you can monitor the coolant temperature as the engine warms and determine the temperature at which the thermostat opens, which typically is exhibited by a sudden increase in coolant temperature and visible circulation of coolant which can be observed by (very carefully) looking down inside the filler neck of the radiator.

The cooling system thermometer is a great tool but as with many tools, you need to know what you are doing to use it safely.

Glad to see that in this case the engine temperature is fine so likely just a bad sender or gauge off a little.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I overlooked it, but what about a new sending unit? The guage works but is just reading high. The guage only does what it is told, and it looks like it is being told some bad info

Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Are you guys confident that measuring coolant temperature from the radiator fill tank is valid? It seems to me like that would be a pretty big temperature gradient relative to the sending unit location, which is where the gauge picks up. Even though the top is supposed to be hotter than the bottom, I would be concerned that the fill tank would be lower than what's actually circling through the engine. This is especially true if the thermostat hasn't opened, in which case the coolant in the radiator hasn't even gone through the engine.

Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
But I will keep this thermometer with me so I can check it whenever I think she's hot.
I will re-iterate trozei's warning. About the only time you want to remove the radiator cap is when the engine is cold before the thermostat opens. Once the thermostat opens and the fill tank drops, you'll want to close the cap. That's a pretty common practice for filling and burping the system. You certainly don't want to pull over and remove the cap when the engine is up to temp or over temp.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mount this kind of temp gauge under your hood, and when something looks amiss with your temp on the dash gauge, you can be sure of what's actually going on.
I would also replace the OEM temp sender.

David

Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Maybe I overlooked it, but what about a new sending unit? The guage works but is just reading high. The guage only does what it is told, and it looks like it is being told some bad info
IMO, gauge readings tend to vary from rig to rig. What is "normal" for one may not be "normal" for another... gauge readings on these trucks is more or less Kentucky windage - It's all relative.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
Good vid RR,Im sorta like Steve dont want exposed guages.I bought one of those poly gloveboxes.Im thinkin I could install mech guages oil and water,behind close door.This wont be my daily driver,and I dont need a glove box full of junk.Ipod in the ash tray.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if your on facebook but the FTE facebook page posted a picture of NBC-Steve's truck asking what year and model it is.
Theres some really funny things people commented on it. The picture had 13,000 likes also last time I was on there.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustangking1
Not sure if your on facebook but the FTE facebook page posted a picture of NBC-Steve's truck asking what year and model it is.
Theres some really funny things people commented on it. The picture had 13,000 likes also last time I was on there.

Ha. Wow. We were having a laugh earlier at the comments. Funny stuff. There was only 6000 a little while ago. Getting lots of attention!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 AM
jimdandyf100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps we should each post a pic of our own F trucks and see who ultimately wins?
I mean Candy Cane's is one ******* nice F truck by any standard, but a little fun wouldn't hurt, would it?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I got on my FB yesterday and was amazed to see my truck pictured with (Now over 21 thousand likes). I am truly honored to have so many guys and gals who love the Candy Cane.

Perhaps we should each post a pic of our own F trucks and see who ultimately wins?
I mean Candy Cane's is one ******* nice F truck by any standard, but a little fun wouldn't hurt, would it?
FTE did that a month or two ago but it was for all Ford trucks. I love to see other trucks and swap ideas, that's what FTE is all about.

Ha. Wow. We were having a laugh earlier at the comments. Funny stuff. There was only 6000 a little while ago. Getting lots of attention!
I read the comments and thought they where pretty funny. It made for some good reading this morning while drinking my morning cup of coffee.

Temps have been normal still so today I'm going to take Candy Cane over the hill to Santa Cruz and if I have time maybe a quick trip to some off road trails around Loma Prieta.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:40 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I got a kick out of the comments too. Tried correction people a couple times, but that was a lost cause

Still looking good!

-Jameson

Old 06-29-2014, 01:08 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Steve are the trails in your pics private service lines, or are they open to the public? If they are public any way you can compile a list for us nor cal 4x4 drivers?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:32 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Steve... I think ya need to get one of these being that you're on call and stuff.:

<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=es2phe&s=8">

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Steve are the trails in your pics private service lines, or are they open to the public? If they are public any way you can compile a list for us nor cal 4x4 drivers?
Yes some are open roads although posted for residencies only I don't think anybody cares unless your causing problems. Others are locked fire roads. The last trip up to Loma Prieta a few days ago is all (Pretty much) open although I discovered that the county graded the road. I didn't even need to engage my front end but if I was to go deeper in the woods I'm sure it would be more challenging.

Here's some trail pix from last Friday.

Steve... I think ya need to get one of these being that you're on call and stuff.:
That's funny, I actually had some but they sat around long enough so I gave them away.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
It's been a while since I have had a chance to post anything on my build thread, not a lot going on but just a few small things here and there. I replaced the dome light with an LED and a new lens was one mini project.

Here's another little project that has me stumped. I replaced my blown power steering line and the replacement hits the steering shaft joint where it connects to the gear box. I checked with Napa (Where I purchased the hose) and they show that I have the correct part. I checked with other part distributors on line and Napa is correct.

I ordered another hose from LMC and this is what I received.

Needless to say this one doesn't fit ether. I did save the old hose (I just need to find it) I know I can have one made and that's still an option but is there anything off the shelf I can order? I found this one on Rock Auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...990&cc=1125964

It says its for a 2WD but it looks pretty close to what I need.

Last July I got second place at one of our local car shows. I was beat out by an 85 El Camino!

I have 2 more shows next weekend and then a break till next summer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread