Sponsored by: Moser

The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by co425
Looking good. I've gotta give that electrolysis a shot.
Vinegar or molasses works too.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
No worries.

For those who wanted to know what our anode looked like after the electrolysis bath, here it is!

Today I finished the steering, I installed a new lower steering shaft bearing and block and bolted everything in place.

The high pressure line is a bit too close to the steering link, I will have to look for an alternative pressure line. It will do for now as I still have a hairs clearance.

I tested the steering for play and right away I can feel a huge difference. No slop or play or strange clunking noises. Nice and tight. I can't wait to get it on the road.

I painted and POR-15 all the places I can get to with the front clip off. I also painted the radiator support and all the brackets and small pieces.

My inner fenders where not ready yet from the power coat shop. Apparently his oven broke and he had to fly in a part today and was going to bake it when repairs are completed this weekend. So tomorrow I'll spend some time to neaten up the wire harness and a few other things.

Steve she's looking a little naked right now. Can't wait to see her fully dressed again. Lol

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
scooter79
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lower bearing

Where did you get that style. I could only find nylon style

Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scooter79
Where did you get that style. I could only find nylon style
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

Column Bearing, Lower

Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
61steven
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for that link! Mine is completely shot.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
Vinegar or molasses works too.
That method stinks, attracts flies, messy (molasses), and is less effective than an electrolysis vat set-up.

The most anyone of us has to get is a box of washing soda.. about $6. We likely all have a plastic tub, a battery charger, and scrap steel.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
I have had a busy last few days so after work I spent the little time I had to get the most done as I could. The paint shop would have my hod done today so I really had to light the afterburners.

Here's the summery, the steering block helped correct the extreme angle of the drop link but I discovered having 3 lifted steering components threw the geometry off the movement of all the linkage. I could not make a left U turn at all, I sent the pedestrians that where crossing the intersections running for their life. I removed the drop pitman arm and replaced it with the stock pitman arm and all my troubles went away. Not only do I have my full turning radius back but the ball joint no longer hits the spring bracket.

I finished up the fuel lines but I still need to fab up some pretty brackets for the hose. Last Tuesday I picked up my powder coated inner fenders and they came out looking a little more grey but I really didn't mind after I looked at the red of the truck and the black parts I pained. Then today I picked up my hood and the guys at the shop put it on and one guy stayed and aligned the hood. It took him almost 2 hours and he really was attentive to detail.

So here it is!

I had them re shoot the top of the hood too and clear coat. It came out really nice!

I still need to install the splash guards, change the oil and do some detail work but it's pretty much done! By the way the new Red Head steering box works great! It drives perfectly tight and straight. Sure feels good driving the Candy Cane again.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:54 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Nice!!! That color almost glows in that light.

Wished I would have done my inners gray. They are always dusty looking and I'm no fan of cleaning.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow looks nice.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 PM
trozei
Postmaster
That is a damn beautiful truck but those grey inner fender panels would **** me off. Didn't you want them black? How'd they get the colour so wrong?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:35 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by trozei
That is a damn beautiful truck but those grey inner fender panels would **** me off. Didn't you want them black? How'd they get the colour so wrong?
It's Hammertone Sliver and for the most part it is but it looks grey on the top side. (The most visible side.) Black is too dark for me, I like to see the details under the hood.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 AM
JohnBOV43159
Senior User
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
I have had a busy last few days so after work I spent the little time I had to get the most done as I could. The paint shop would have my hod done today so I really had to light the afterburners.

I still need to install the splash guards, change the oil and do some detail work but it's pretty much done! By the way the new Red Head steering box works great! It drives perfectly tight and straight. Sure feels good driving the Candy Cane again.
Your hood really turned out nice. Looks like they even did a nice job detailing underneath. Are you going to put a light back up under there?

Glad you got the steering figured out and no pedestrians were lost in the process and the Redhead is as good as it is billed to be.

Nice truck!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Why was the hood at the body shop in the first place? I feel like I missed that part. Also, what was done to remove the putty crap that holds the inside hood bracing to the hood itself?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Steve, that hood and those inner splash pans look great. Well done .

Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Beautiful Steve.
That's one of the best trucks I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread