Sponsored by: Moser

The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks awesome Steve.

I wish I could find a better 73-77 grille shell up here.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a brand new truck. It just doesn't get any better.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
This weekend I Dynamatted the doors inside and out and installed new Alpine coaxial speakers. All I can say is wow! What a difference in noise reduction from the Dynamat and the sound of the new speakers.

Next weekend I will mat the floors and behind the seat area as I will be installing a new amp and subwofer.

While I was on a noise reduction mode I checked everything under my truck to see if I had any loose bolts and I found my tranny to transfer case bolts where half way backed out! Only being held on by a few threads. I tightened every nut and bolt along the drive train. A few where loose but not as bad as the tranny bolts. This is not the first time I found loose bolts under my truck so it will now become a part of my regular maintenance routine.

She drives a lot smoother now.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Just makes me smile.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck just looks awesome Steve! I am going to have to go back and Dynamat the inside of my doors. The speakers sound too tinny if you know what I mean. The ones in the kick panels are a bear to get back into place. I am not looking forward to it. I'm glad you had more forethought than I did. I am finding out that if I didn't have to do things twice, I could be done in half the time. At least I'm still good at math...Nice job buddy!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
I must need new glasses . When I first read you new post I thought it said
"This weekend I dynamited the doors".....man SOMETHIN' must've gone wrong .
Seriously, looks really good Steve.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
willh108
New User
Hey man, I happen to have a '79 f250 with similar paint scheme (only without the white down the side.), but i the inside of my bed is scratched and scuffed. Was thinking about getting a bed liner for it and not sure how black would look but if i'm correct you do have a black liner?? Does not look too bad, what kind is it? do you like it? holding up pretty well? And i must say that your truck looks amazing!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by willh108
Hey man, I happen to have a '79 f250 with similar paint scheme (only without the white down the side.), but i the inside of my bed is scratched and scuffed. Was thinking about getting a bed liner for it and not sure how black would look but if i'm correct you do have a black liner?? Does not look too bad, what kind is it? do you like it? holding up pretty well? And i must say that your truck looks amazing!
They also make tintable spray in bed liner

Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey Steve.. just a tip: Paint a line across nuts/bolts so you can visually determine if they have loosened up. My pitman arm nut backed off a few weeks ago and now I can just do a quick visual to verify it is still tight. I used hobby modeler's bright yellow enamel. EZ.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by willh108
Yes I have Line-X and I couldn't be happier with it. It is Black and looks really great with the Red and White. I think they can tint as well. I have had mine since I brought it 7 years ago and it has held up great.

Hey Steve.. just a tip: Paint a line across nuts/bolts so you can visually determine if they have loosened up. My pitman arm nut backed off a few weeks ago and now I can just do a quick visual to verify it is still tight. I used hobby modeler's bright yellow enamel. EZ.
Thanks Al, I'll need to clean off a few of the bolts, They got a good dose of gear oil and road grime along with my garage floor.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Ronzi
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Trucks looking good Steve !
I saw this on ebay and thought about ya lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-64-CUSTOM-LIFTED-79-FORD-F150-TRUCK-Farm-toy-Ertl-4-/271178551110?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3f23804f46
I also saw what Im pretty sure is you selling your grill shell

Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Trucks looking good Steve !
I saw this on ebay and thought about ya lol
1 64 Custom Lifted '79 Ford F150 Truck Farm Toy Ertl 4 | eBay

I also saw what Im pretty sure is you selling your grill shell

Yep that's was my grill shell. Just sold it.

I love that truck! I just might bid on it. Thanks Ronzi!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Here's a quick update on some small projects that I have been working on lately. Last weekend I finished the Dynamat installation in the cab. Not only did I cover the door panels but I covered the floor and the back of the cab. I might get some more so I could cover the roof area and a few other small spots I had to skip because I ran out. The difference is like night and day with the noise reduction! I also installed a new Alpine amp and Sub Woofer and did some fine tweaking to the stereo system.

The black Dynamat was a PO installation. I'm not sure what he was trying to do with the pattern. I'm guessing he had some laying around and wanted to use it somewhere. I also will cover the back cab area with matching red carpet to give it a nice finished look.

Yesterday I got bored while I had my truck on the lift and I had a lot of POR-15 left over so I thought I would make the rear differential look pretty. Not too bad! I think I will do the front next after I do some work with the steering stabilizer and track down an annoying small leak that sprays (oil?) all over the front passenger side frame area.

I also scored a pair of NOS side mirrors last week. They came in the original Ford boxes with hardware and documentation. Thanks Scott79!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another fine update

Thanks for the wiring update Steve. I think that is something else I am going to copy... (the list keeps growing)

The new grill looks killer too. Candy Cane is looking brand spanking new.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Look'n good Steve. The dynomat will make a huge difference in the sound you hear from the new stereo.

It's nice to get some of the small lingering projects out of the way.

Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread