Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dad found the Magazine, and I learned a few things about my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink My Dad found the Magazine, and I learned a few things about my truck.

Hey guys my Dad found the magazine with the picture of the truck that he got the idea from for the paint job on his old truck. He also found a lot of other things from his old truck that he had kept, and he seems to be reliving the time that he was working on it and all the stuff he got and did for, which is pretty cool. Its also pretty cool to talk to him about it and strike up some good conversations.

He's got a whole bunch of boxes and a drawer at our house of papers from purchases of things he bought for the truck, and other papers. He also found a whole bunch of old 4x4 magazines that he had too. Pretty cool stuff. He also has a few other boxes of stuff in an empty office at where he works, and whole tub of parts too. Some of the parts go to his other old truck and some go to my truck.

In going through some of this stuff and from what my Dads told me, I've learned a lot of stuff about it that I never knew before. One thing, which my Dad conveniently forgot to ever tell me, is that the truck is actually a F250 that he decided to put F350 badges on for some reason. Which was NEWS to me! I also figured out that the truck does infact have the TTB axle, either the Dana 44 or 50. I'm pretty sure its the Dana 44 unfortuantely but hopefully it will put up with the bigger tires once I start driving it.

I will figure out which axle tomorrow when I go back to finish cleaning it which is what I did on Friday, but didn't quite finish. The truck looks great now for the most part. No pictures but I will get some tomorrow once I'm done and can post some pics in this thread if you guys want. Or you guys can check the "Show off your Pre-97 trucks" thread because I will be posting them in there.

Heres the pic of magazine. Its from Petersons 4wheel & Offroad magazine from Feburary of 1989. The truck looks pretty cool and is acutally pretty close to my Dads old truck. The paint is close and you can see the similarities. I think what my Dad did on his truck looks better, but thats just my opinion.

I just posted this in one of my other threads because a few people were wondering and i figured I'd share my truck/experience with everyone else too.

Here's my truck and how it looks.

Here's the Cover.

And here's the actual article. My Dad had it marked with a paper clip.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
f250 were dana 50 ttb

Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
I'm pretty sure that both the Dana 44 and 50 TTB and I think also the Dana 60 were all offered in the F250s all just different options. I'm not sure about the Dana 60, but I'm pretty certain about the other two. Everyone has told me in my other thread that is either a Dana 44 or 50, and once I showed them a picture they were pretty sure that it was the 44. They told my that the Dana 44 in the F250 was different from the one in the F150 because it was 8 lug and leaf sprung.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
yes they are both ttb but the 50 was under the 250 the 44 was under the 150 and the 60 is a solid axel that cane under the 250 hd i belive and the 350, the dana 44 were 5 bolt also you have the 50 i got the same on my truck and my buddys 1990 f250 is the same style as yours and he also has the dana 50 ttb but great find on the artical! :tup:

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
I don't know, most everyone in my other thread said that it was the Dana 44. But like I said I'll check tomorrow to make sure. Thanks on the article. I thought it was a pretty cool article and it was pretty cool to look at all those old trucks and 4x4 stuff.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is the D44, D44HD and D50. The F150/Bronco got the D44 - it's 5 lug. The standard F250 axle is the D44HD - it's 8 lug. The D50 was optional and standard in the SuperCab. The F350 got the D50 from 1980-85.5 when it was replaced with the D60 monobeam axle.

The D50 has the D60 spindles and a larger ring gear IIRC. I saw the pictures in the other thread and it's a D44HD.

Killer looking truck, however it looks too high IMO. That was the stance 25 years ago - everything was up on stilts. Now people hunker them down. I'd ditch the body lift, trim the front bumper and run a 35/36" tire. Easier on parts, cheaper to buy and IMO it'd look better. Save your money then slip in a D60 and go with 44's if you want and lift it way up.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
In regular cab 4x4 F250s (I believe up until the front clip change in 92) The Dana 44HD was standard. The Dana 50 was optional. After the clip change, I'm fairly certain that only the Dana 50 was used.

So it is possible that you have a Dana 50. But it's more probably that you have the Dana 44HD.

I'm in agreement with f100beatertruck however, I don't like the look of a truck towering over its own tires. I like the filled wheel well look. Bigger tires, less lift. Otherwise, very sharp looking truck in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GNR22
In regular cab 4x4 F250s (I believe up until the front clip change in 92) The Dana 44HD was standard. The Dana 50 was optional. After the clip change, I'm fairly certain that only the Dana 50 was used.
^^^^^This is all true. The dana 50 was used in supercabs, and as an option for the snow plow package i believe in 87-91.

Trust me, you have the dana 44. Ive had multiple trucks w/ the 44, and upgraded to the 50 in my mud truck. I can tell the differences just by looking.

And buzzy, learn before you start giving out false information. Good your trying to help, but make sure what your saying is correct before you say it.

That was a good looking truck, minus the pink and that cab faring lol

Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Thats pretty cool that he found the magazine that inspired his project.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm sorry but BOTH of them are ugly!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I'm sorry but BOTH of them are ugly!!!
Brad, you're not talking about my truck are you?. If you are I guess everyone has their own opinions, but come on, really?. I guess I could understand not liking the one on the magazine. I don't really like that thing on the back of the cab, and I don't really like the colors necessarily, either.

To everyone else thanks for the compliments. I'm looking at it right now and, I measured the hub and it was 3.5 so I'm pretty sure its the D-44. I don't think that I will be taking off the body lift. I like the way it is now and don't want to change it. I don't really like the stuffed look anyways, I like a little bit of space between tires and the truck but not too much. Also it was pretty cool to find the magazine that he based his idea off of.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Hutch17
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the hub is the same size as the housing then its a D50. As the same size I mean the hub and housing are flush.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDevil460
Brad, you're not talking about my truck are you?. If you are I guess everyone has their own opinions, but come on, really?. I guess I could understand not liking the one on the magazine. I don't really like that thing on the back of the cab, and I don't really like the colors necessarily, either.
I dont like the brick noses to begin with, then add in the 80s graphics and you have FUGLY. Top it all off with a D44 and 38s

The ONLY saving grace is the underpowered 460

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
well i was going off the information i was givin in another thread and i relized after i posted this that there is quite a bit difference between his 88 460 vs my 96 351

Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Brad I'll have to agree with you on the first point. I've never really been a fan of the brick noses either, but I like the design on my truck for some reason, it just looks good. But I do think that the 92-97 design does look better though.

I personally love the paint and the whole truck too, and wouldn't change it for anything.. Personally I think its one of best looking trucks that I've ever seen, and that my Dad did a great job on it. Yeah the D-44 and 38s isn't that great, but I guess I'm just going to have to live with it for now, until I can swap on a D-60. Not trying to be offensive, but I still like it more than any of your trucks Brad.. But I do really like the work that you've done to your trucks, and think that they look great, but I just mine, and what my Dad did better.

I know that everyone has their own opinions, but still that it was rude that you just came straight out and said that it was ugly.. But hey no hard feelings... sort of.

Buzzy thanks for trying to help, and don't worry about it everyone makes mistakes.

Like I said I would I did go back yesterday to continue cleaning my truck. I measured the hub to 3.5 inches so I'm pretty sure that's its the D-44. I will post up pics in my other thread later just to be sure.

I also learned some more things about my truck yesterday too. I did check all the lights to make sure that they worked, and I learned that my Dad had a lot of things chromed on the truck.. All of the socks are chrome and the front and rear sway bar/sway bar mounts are chrome as well. Also I found a lot of other things too: chrome tow hooks, more shocks that aren't on the truck yet, steering stabilizers, and a lot of chrome mounts for things. Now there was one other thing that I found out was chrome that I thought was really cool, and something that I've never seen before. I had always thought that the drive shafts looked weird or different, and I found out why, because they're CHROME! I got them all polished up and they look great. I thought that it was pretty cool and different.. I will post up pics of this somewhere, later.

Quick Reply: My Dad found the Magazine, and I learned a few things about my truck.