1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

A couple more

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
A couple more

Went to look at a parts truck yesterday. '60 F350. No engine or tranny. I want the headliner, pass side door, the hood ornament (is this original ?), and I think others might want the 17.5s. It's kinda ugly, but I'll hide it in my woods as I take parts off. The price is right for sure! He also has a 1/2 ton with a 272 original v8 and a 3 speed that supposedly runs for 500.00. Planning to take my trailer off island in the next couple weeks to pick up the 'lemon'. Not really wanting to start a wrecking yard, but I have always found that a parts truck can save a lot of time and money. I'm at the point with my '59 that I would have to buy a bunch of stuff and so it seems a timely purchase (trade). Am considering upgrading my cab to the 'custom cab' option. Heck, I might even paint it when it's 'done'. I have a dang nice 4" brush........

Attached Images     
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Awesome trucks! You can never have too many Fridges! That hood ornament is an original but not to that truck! Was that the a heater control unit I can see peaking out in the one pic? Those are getting harder to come by. A running Fridge for $500? where do I sign?
Why would you paint your '59, it would take 54 years to get it to look as good as it already does. Don't cover up that beautiful "aging with dignity"!

Hey, if you would be so kind, if you come across a spare tire holder that goes in the bed behind the cab on the drivers side(on a stylside box), grab it cause I am looking for one.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Absolutely, can't go wrong with that. I'd be in deep dirt if I didn't have an inventory of spares out in the barn. And those 17.5s will, I'm sure, find a good home. Please let me know when they are gone so I know not to refer folks. Stu

Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice score Gary, kinda hard to hide that little piece of sunshine.
Paint your truck! Thats just crazy talk. Probably want a roller for the hood.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
The only reason I would paint it would be to protect it from getting any rustier. I live in a very wet part of the country and surface rust turns to rust out in a matter of time. As it is I'm always looking to see if it might rain before I take the '59 out. The bed wood is so original and nice, I hate to get it wet. And no I don't have any plans to varnish it. Here's a before and after shot of the '38 tonner I daily drove for almost 10 years in the 90's. As you can see, I found an almost correct 8'bed for it. The bed was metallic blue and needed some major work on the fenders. After I completed the work on the bed, I painted it with 2 coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer, then a coat of flat black and then finally, my own mix of red rustoleum enamel, white house paint and more red primer and a bit of flat black, to get the oxidized reddish/pink to match the faded cab. To this final coat, I mixed in a fistful of cornstarch to remove the gloss. After this final coat was dry, I buffed out the 'wear areas' with a burlap sack to bring out some black primer. This buffing procedure also brings some gloss to those areas and makes it all look very 'real'. I'm just sayin' that if I paint the fridge to protect it, most people will never know. I got a lot of compliments on the 'original' paint on the '38, and I drove it rain or shine, with never any further rust-out....... I' getting anxious to go pick up that '60. Anybody ever removed a perfect headliner from one of these and transplanted it?

Attached Images    
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

I've got to admit, your paint looks great in those fuzzy pics! I like the one with the boy the best. Sure wish I could have figured out how to keep my son that small.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
nice score Gary. i dont think a man with your talents will have any problem taking out that headliner. if i recall mine just had some screws holding it in. i cared very little when mine came out and it came out with no problems so if you're careful i'm sure you will have good results. your paint matching skills are also better than the local box store paint match computer. on a side note, if your not gonna use that chrome grill, i would be interested in the lower insert. and thats a great looking kid! have i paid enough complements yet?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I am truly flattered. I have never been happy using paint as it comes from the store. When the weather warms up I'll continue experimenting with my 'oxidized meadow green'. My shop where I work on the fridge doubles as our 'rough out' shop for the woodworking business so It's got dust and shavings lurking everywhere. When I paint outside, the worst thing I have to contend with are a few bugs. I have learned to wait til the paint is well set before removing them. That way you only get some itty bitty footprints instead of the 1/2" smear and thumbprints. You know you've been there . The kid is graduating high school this year. The last of 4. The reason the photos are fuzzy is because they are old snapshots that are all curled etc and I set them on the kitchen table and take a picture of them with my scratched and dented digital camera. Everyone tells me I need a new camera, but it works ok after I bang it against something really hard and the lense stops chattering and finally pops out. I guess they have something called a scanner now that does that. I will entertain the sales of parts after I get the truck here and take inventory. For sure you guys will be the first to know.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Heading off island in morning to pick up this hulk... Actually the wood I'm picking up will pay for the trip. Gotta be SOME reason to be self-employed.........

Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Ok, so the starter picked a fine time to go out on my '92 the night before I was to leave. It was already hooked up to my equipment trailer for the backhaul of the '60. I decided to take the fridge as I needed the wood right away. I'll deal with the '92 over the weekend. In the morning I delivered a load of 7.50 17's on 5 hole rims to greyhound for shipment to Georgia, then picked up a load of salvaged 2x12 doug fir for rustic doors for a hotel, and as I was driving RIGHT past the lemon, I stopped by and picked up a bunch of loose parts and took the time to bolt the front clip on, pull the springs from the hood hinges so they'd lay flat and place the hood back on (by myself). I left the rusty and scratched winchester model 9422 and the kerosene lamp on the seat of the '59 half ton and picked up the signed title for the '60. (our agreed payment)....Starting to look like a pretty good truck. It's as least as good as what I stared with. I DO still have the factory stakebed I took off mine and there's a whole world of engine choices out there. Hmmmmmm What was that about never too many fridges?

Attached Images      
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

As usual, great shots! the trucks almost look glad to see each other. So much cooler pf a trip with the fridge. Love the ferry shot as well as sitting in the muddy lumber yard.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Muddy is what we do best in the Pacific Northwest! Ok, so flash back to yesterday morning in the ferry line at 6 am. Next to me was Orcas Towing, taking some late model toyota off island to be fixed. I asked Josh if he ever needed a backhaul.... Well at 10 am today he called and he was taking another modern car to the dealer so it could be fixed. He could use a backhaul and his boss said 150.00 to bring it to my house. Soooo, at 5:45 this afternoon he arrived with my new fridge and I didn't have to take a day off, buy a 165.00 ticket, throw out my 60 year old shoulder cranking my come-a- long... You get it. Now it's here sitting in front of my shop. It's great to live in a small town and know everybody.........

Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

That thing looks great sitting there just the way it is!

Awesome deal on the delivery. That's a pretty nice rig it came on too!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
That's what I was thinkin' too. It sounded so cool I asked Josh... "what is in that thing?" It's a caterpillar diesel. not too common in that sized truck.... I've been so busy with work I haven't had a minute to even open a door on the new fridge.... Going off island on the 'red eye' at 7 am to show my '54 gmc to a perspective customer. It's time to go 'all ford' well except for the land cruisers..... If any of you have a boring saturday, go to craiglist seattle and type in ' 1954' that's my diesel powered 3/4 ton GMC. Someone wants it more than me..........Let's face it. Aint no Ford.

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

When you said "time to go all ford", I almost shed a tear!

Quick Reply: A couple more