Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
New User

Older is starting off with a positive reputation.
Towing with Excursion vs Expedition

Last year I purchased a Forest River (Shamrock) 233s Travel Trailer RV. The dry weight is listed at a bit over 5,000 and gross weight is 6,500 with 21 ft in length. I towed the TT with my 2001 Expedition for 8 trips including one to the Grand Canyon. I use a good WD hitch and friction sway and good brake controller unit.

The Expedition was adequate and safe. However, it would labor greatly on hills when we entered the mountains and considering I already live at 5,300 the vehicle was constantly working hard to do the job. With headwinds to Durango I would get 7mpg while doing 60mph. Additionally I always felt I was on the edge of the tail wagging the dog issues. It just didn't inspire confidence.

I just towed with my 2003 Excursion today. I can only describe it as using the perfect tool for the job. The Excursion was granite solid and just did the job with zero fuss or laboring. It was confidence inspiring and just made for a completely comfortable and relaxing trip.

Now I know the towing weight really isn't an issue for the Expedition. However once you start operating above 5,000 and you only go higher it becomes noticeable. Add that to the difference in wheel base and weight and it is just a difference that cannot be described and must be experienced.

I will be taking great care of my Excursion. I plan on enjoying the camping trips with my family for many years to come and getting there with ease and comfort. So exceptionally happy with the purchase of my Excursion.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Glad to hear you like the new Excursion! I was also impressed with how mine handled a big trailer.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Senior User

380tom is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good to hear. I purchased my Ex just for towing. I have only towed my trailer (21ft toy hauler) about 12 miles. From the place I picked it up to my storage but I can say it felt better than my Dodge Ram 1500 did for sure.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
i'm glad your happy! your right the Excursion makes things so seemless. should make your trips alittle less stressful

i've towed 6K with my expedition and i've towed my expedition with my excursion and the V10 and SD frame just makes things so easy. the expy does well but the excursion does great!

(i wanted to fill both of them up at the gas station lol)
Click the image to open in full size.
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Senior User

king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx View Post
Lol that's hilarious ... That was a 250$ stop right there
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Elder User

Karlsgems has a great reputation on FTE.Karlsgems has a great reputation on FTE.Karlsgems has a great reputation on FTE.Karlsgems has a great reputation on FTE.Karlsgems has a great reputation on FTE.
Russ, that's still one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen!

Karl

His......2004 Excursion Limited 6.8L V10 4x2
Hers....2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 4x2

Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Russ,

Did you pay cash? or use 2 different credit cards?

I can't use any of my cards more than once @ the same pump/station
I hate when I forget to go inside and get "pre-authed" to fill it up..
$100 is only about 2/3 of a tank (of course fuel is going up now...)
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky6.0 View Post
Russ,

Did you pay cash? or use 2 different credit cards?

I can't use any of my cards more than once @ the same pump/station
I hate when I forget to go inside and get "pre-authed" to fill it up..
$100 is only about 2/3 of a tank (of course fuel is going up now...)
my debit card, its the same price here for cash or card and there is no limit to how many times you use it.

i think it was close to $250 all said and done. neither were on E and i filled them both up
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs