Modular V10 (6.8l)  

exhaust oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
smgcrawford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust oxygen sensors

I own a 2009 Ford 250 SD XLT 2wd, 5 speed auto with 65000 miles that was bought for towing a 30 foot travel trailer. My question is has anyone had a problem with their oxygen sensors when traveling in rain?? This condition came about after hitting a small pot hole in the road and splashing water under the truck. Several secounds later the check engine light came on. A diagnoistic check was ran later and showed the exhaust sensors, one upstream on the left side and both on the cat converters. My mechanic cleared both, checked the wiring for possible water contamination - all checked negative and is at a lost why they faulted.. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep driving and see if they come back. It helps for us to know the exact codes that were thrown by the PCM

Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
sometimes those o2 sensors are borderline. You may have them getting close to being out of tolerance and the weather conditions tripped them.

Easy enough to change them out but they are pricy. I would certainly wait to see if they come back as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 PM
smgcrawford
Junior User
Thanks for the info. certainly will wait to see if the weather conditions duplicates the faults.. For mileismadness I don't remeber the exact codes but both they pertained to the previous mentioned sensors and I was told they all check out within Ford specs. I will be able to tell the next time the vehicle is driven by the fuel mileage, it dropped 1 mile to the gallon and as you know every mile counts on these motors.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Yup. The best test is to watch the voltage of the sensor. It should fluctuate between .1-1.0 consistently

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM
smgcrawford
Junior User
10-4 mikemaddness he advised it was continually seaching between 01 and 1... Also has anyone out there changed out their y-pipe on these 3valves and if it affects the performance??

Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
On the 3v the cat converters are on the y pipe, and by my knowledge no company makes one because you will be removing emissions equipment.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
smgcrawford
Junior User
SPD Performance based in Oregon

Just wondering if anyone has had any involvement with SPD Performance in using their y-pipe connectors??? I've looked online at their products and noticed they don't have a connector for the 3v v10, just one for the 2 valves. Is the fact the cats are located on the y-pipe the issue,, or maybe they haven't designed one?? Any info would be appreciated..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
It would help to have the EXACT code that was recorded. Low-circuit, etc, versus heater circuit failure.

If it was heater-related, I'm betting you have a loose connection in the power supply (+12 red) and the pothole made it open for a second.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
smgcrawford
Junior User
To Krewat...If what you suspect is true, then both cats have a loose connectin in the power supply (+12 red)?? Thinking back to what the mechanic said he was baffled at why boths cats where affected and only the passenger side upstream O2 sensor and not the drivers side upstream O2. But I'm sure he wasn't concerned on how the sensors voltage readings checked and did say they were constantly seaching and didn't act out of the norm...

Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I've only delved into the power supply to the O2 heaters in my '97 Cougar - and I seem to remember that one of them got power from one harness, and the other three got it from somewhere else. Not the same vehicle, I know, but I do know that they are all not on the same power supply line.

Let it go for now. I bet if the codes come back, it'll be heater circuit failures. Get the actual codes next time and come back and we'll work on it

Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM
smgcrawford
Junior User
IIIIITTTT''''''SSSSSS BACK !!!!!!!!!!

Krewat... Well on a very different day as far as the weather is concerned (sunshine and temps in the 80's) I had a check engine lite sighting on my 09 Super duty with the V10.........
Haven't had the chance to have the fault diagnoised but I will tell my mechanic to check for the possibility of a heater related issue as per your suggestion.. I'll again see if the mileage has indeed dropped a mile per gallon as noticed on the last incedent as I drive back 38 miles to work.. You can bet I will be purchasing an OD2 fault reader in the future for this vehicle and hoping that every 62000 miles replacing the O2 sensors is not required.. Also looking for an O2 sensor made in the US and all I can find is they are ALL MADE IN CHINA... THAT S*CKS!!!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not always the fault of O2sensor , it is quite possible that they are reading the correct condition and something else upstream might be wrong . For example, you might have a mulfunctioning COP that will result in rich condition in exhaust gases ( more unburned fuel in the exhaust ). O2sensor will read it and replacing the O2 sensor will not fix the problem. Same thing goes for a mulfunctioning injector .

Start with the error code , you may have to do some troubleshooting . May be the error code leads you to a particular cylinder that might resolve the issue .

Good luck,

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
smgcrawford
Junior User
I'm hoping what ever is the problem is, it isn't going to be a dog chasing it's tail.. The motor sems to be running very smoothly without any noticable irregularies with or without the check engine light on.. Only noticable difference is the drop in the mileage.. Only tomorrow will tell..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Come back with the codes and we can send ya in the right direction.

I honestly believe their is no aftermarket y pipe for the 3v because there isn't a huge market, and its removing federally mandated emissions equipment

Quick Reply: exhaust oxygen sensors