Napa Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Napa Parts

Hi,

A current thread (Spark Plugs & Wires (tune-up questions) ) has a few posts that mention Napa parts, and so I got to wondering what peoples' opinions and experiences have been using Napa parts on their Fords?

For the record, I replaced my Ranger's IAC valve a few months ago with a unit from NAPA. Working great. Ford wanted $115 , I brought it home from NAPA for $55

Anyonye else?

Old 05-30-2003, 10:44 PM
brianjwilson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Parts

I haven't had a lot of problems with Napa parts, but they're mufflers SUCK. When I was buying an exhaust system for my VW a while ago, someone else with a VW said they bought Napa exhaust parts, and had rusted holes all the way through in a couple of months. They have a lifetime warranty so they kept replacing it, but it was a big hassle. My stepdad put a NAPA muffler on his Econoline about 2-3 months ago, and it is already developing big cracks and little holes in it. Of course, doesn't matter now that his engine's gone, but not good quality. We <b>do</b> live about 3 blocks from the Ocean, so rusting happens REAL quick here, but a few months from a muffler is pathetic. Some of the cracks also look like heat cracks.
My stepdad also went through a couple of Napa radiators pretty quick from holes getting knocked in them. Of course rocks will damage any radiator, but I put more miles on my vehicles in the same area and never had any problems, just the usual bent cooling fins. Maybe the metal is more brittle or something.
I also have a Napa serpentine belt on my Ranger, and since I replaced it, it started making some quiet squealing noises. I'm thinking this is probably due to it being slightly too short, as others have mentioned, putting too much pressure on the belt tensioner. I still use some Napa parts, but I won't buy anything big (radiator, muffler) or anything like that from them. Last thing I bought was a thermostat, which is a simple mechanical piece.

Brian J Wilson

Old 05-31-2003, 01:00 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Napa Parts

I buy nothing but NAPA parts. If NAPA doesn't have them then I buy from Ford.

Old 05-31-2003, 03:02 PM
Cav
Freshman User
Napa Parts

Hi. My uncle in NJ has owned a NAPA store for years and I even worked for him for a while. NAPA doesn't make any parts themselves, they are a distributor, so the parts you buy all have some other manufacturer. I know NAPA has it's own tool line, and I'm certain that it's made by someone else, I just don't know who. NAPA tools have a lifetime warrantee and I still have tools well over 20 years and still going strong.

The few items that you see that are "NAPA" branded are usually a quality manufacturer. When I worked there (over 20 years ago) NAPA oil was actually Valvoline, only a LOT cheaper.

Fortunately, NAPA stores only stock quality parts, Perfect Circle or TRW rings, Timken roller bearings, Victor gaskets and the such. You will NEVER see a generic part or a brand you've never heard of in a NAPA store. Some of the rebuildable parts that have core returns such as alternators, starters and radiators are contracted out by the individual stores to a local rebuilder, so problems with those are attributable to to the rebuilder, but again, NAPA backs it up with their reputation.

NAPA is willing to offer the guarantee, but the cost to you is that they only stock quality parts that may cost a little more. In my opinion, it's always MORE than worth it. They can get items usually only found at a dealer and back up their product.

In my opinion, NAPA is well worth it!!

Old 05-31-2003, 09:06 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Napa Parts

I think Cav described the situation pretty well. Napa is the only place I buy parts - and if they carry two grades of the same part, I buy the top line part (which often carries the lifetime guarantee).
Also they still sell Valvoline oil in Napa brand cases.

Exception: In this area their electrical rebuilds have a lousy reputation and I've quit buying those item from them. (Fortunately there is a local shop that does super work - my electricals go there for rebuilding) Napa's radiators are OK here, but then again we've got some good rad shops.

....and no, I don't own stock or even have relatives working there.

What really sells Napa here are the counter guys and gals - they take time to get it right and care about the customer. Also, they'll dig out the obsolete books when they can't find '48 parts in the computer........

Old 06-02-2003, 11:08 AM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Napa Parts

I too have used NAPA parts for over 30 yrs. Once vehicles are out of warranty (personal and company-owned) we go to NAPA. The counter persons make a big difference - they do their best to get it right the first time. We have some difficulties from time-to-time, who hasn't, but NAPA always makes it right. I am talking about parts for cars, trucks, buses, boats, forklifts etc.

As Cav says, NAPA contracts with someone to supply their parts. The last belt tensioner that I purchased said Gates on the box along with the NAPA label.

Be buddies with the NAPA counter persons and you will be hard pressed to go wrong.

Russ

Old 06-02-2003, 11:18 AM
StrauntonBronco
Freshman User
Napa Parts

I don't know about any other napa parts, but I do know that Master Cylinder rebuild kits and most other parts having to do with brakes are all made in one place with the same pieces and put in different boxes. Why? because i worked on the Master Cylinder line at Dana Brake parts. Lots of times I would put together 100 rebuild kits and put 20 in CarCraft boxes, 20 in Napa boxes, 20 in Raybestos boxes.....the list goes on and on.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:08 PM
mwittman
Senior User
Napa Parts

I think that NAPA and Carquest are pretty much hand in hand, the same. I have noticed that both carry top of the line name brand parts. It seems around here CarQuest is a little cheaper, sometimes for better quality parts. For instance: my balljoints went out on my Ranger (go figure) so I check out the local Autozone. Their replacements were the crappiest pieces of ***** I've ever seen! I had already seen on the internet that CarQuest carried Moog balljoints, and had a part they specifically advertised for the Ranger/Explorer. It was a greaseable ball joint, that offered 10-degrees more flex than a factory one. Just to cover my bases I called NAPA, because I also trusted them to carry quality parts. They wanted $149 for a sealed OEM replacement fitting (this was the upper A-arm). CarQuest sold the Moog for $135, which IMO was of better quality.

Oh yeah, and they both sell re-labeled Valvoline, and they both sell WIX filters under their name. I think they are pretty much in direct competition with eachother. Not a "discount" parts store, but rather a "quality" parts store. I have to note the old addage here, "You get what you pay for," and "It's better to do it right the first time, than to fix it twice."

Matt

Old 06-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Rancha9
Elder User
Napa Parts

I have, and will continue to go to Advance Auto Parts for everything... Seems like everytime I need something, Advanced has it for about 75% of the NAPA price. They also carry the multiple part grades as well, which is great if you're in an emergency and strapped for cash (Example: a starter for a Chevy 305 that my buddy had was 15 bucks and came with a year warranty... 5 years later the thing cranks, every day) 'Course, I think Advanced only does business in the south... I don't remember seeing one when I was living in IL. If you guys have an Advanced in your neighborhood, you should check them out...

Old 06-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Napa Parts

I get some of my parts from Advance Auto, as well. Even purchased my OBD-II Scanner from Advance ($30 bucks less than Autozone, BTW) We've got several here in CT.

It's nice I have a Napa, Autozone and Advance Auto all within 1 mile of my house and each other. About 3 miles away is a Pep Boys. I try to play them off against each other whenever possible.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:47 AM
StrauntonBronco
Freshman User
Napa Parts

There are Advance Auto parts stores in IL now, at least in the Metro East near St. Louis where I live. But i have never found anything there for any sort of deal.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:15 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Napa Parts

Originally posted by Rancha9
I have, and will continue to go to Advance Auto Parts for everything... Seems like everytime I need something, Advanced has it for about 75% of the NAPA price. They also carry the multiple part grades as well, which is great if you're in an emergency and strapped for cash (Example: a starter for a Chevy 305 that my buddy had was 15 bucks and came with a year warranty... 5 years later the thing cranks, every day) 'Course, I think Advanced only does business in the south... I don't remember seeing one when I was living in IL. If you guys have an Advanced in your neighborhood, you should check them out...
Wanna lose faith in em real quick...

Go buy a carrier bearing for a 2wd XCab Ranger from em. I could build better parts using duct tape and wet kleenex. JUNK.
When I informed the employee that the part was junk, his answer was "There's nothing wrong with that"
My next action was to demonstrate how quickly the bearing would fall out of the assembly by throwing the bearing, in pieces, across the counter, followed by the seal, then the bracket.

Yep, they are a lot cheaper. Usually for a reason. You just have to be careful what you buy from em. I don't like the idea of buying rebuilt parts, relined brake shoes, and recycled plastic to save a buck, when the vehicle the parts are going on are responsible for keeping me alive for the 80 mile commute I drive..

EDIT: Yeah, they're all over, here in NY, too. Kind of reminds me of the plague.

Last edited by DainBramage; 06-05-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:19 PM
rtsphototech
New User
Napa Parts

Dain,
I'm not a fan of refurbs either, ON ANYTHING! I'd rather pay the extra and have it brand new for the same reasons you mentioned!
My expereience with NAPA has been good, but Pep Boys is a different story. I do think it depends on who is across the counter from you! The area NAPA is quite good with advice and help!